Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Abersoch – worth a trip? Any campsite recommendations?
  • geoffj

Currently considering a week in Abersoch in a couple of weeks.
    I know it gets some bad press – Vulgersoch, Cheshire by the Sea etc.
    Worth a punt for 2+2 for some body boarding / kayaking?

Also, any recommendations for restaurants / pubs?

peterfile
    Free Member

I used to go to Abersoch loads.

It is filled with the Cheshire set, but if you can tolerate lots of 4×4’s and people wearing gilets, then you’ll enjoy it.

Avoid the PB club, athough i heard a rumour that it’s shut down now.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Depends what you’re after, it’s a nice spot but justifiably popular and does get rammed with the middle classes of Liverpool and Manchester come the height of the season when you can’t move for Range Rovers and fake tan. They do however all seem to stay put in Abersoch and not venture very far outside.

The Ll?n as a whole is absolutely stunning with some really out of the way spots and lovely beaches at which you’d barely see a soul. Porth Neigwl (Hell’s Mouth) and Porth Ceiriad are the main surf spots. Aberdaron is lovely with a pub right on the beach. Porth Oer (Whistling Sands) is a must-visit too.

You should definitely go here too :-): http://www.tycoch.co.uk/

Mynydd Mawr campsite right at the end of the peninsular is a great place to camp. Facilities are VERY basic, but it has stunning views and you can go to sleep to the sound of the seals out on Bardsey Island.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=4904

IHN

It is indeed Bramhall By The Sea.

Hells Mouth still gets the waves though, so worth a trip.

konagirl
    Free Member

I’ld keep an eye on the weather. If you get the right swell, then yes Abersoch / Hell’s Mouth / Porth Ceiriad will be good for body boarding and it’s a nice enough village/town. But if this high pressure persists, kayaking around the north of the Lleyn Peninsular or Anglesey might be better bet? My colleague goes to Rhosneigr regularly with her sea-kayaks and loves it.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Rhos over Abersoch every time, although event that’s getting gentrified. You know the rot has set in when FatFace opens a store.

geoffj

Thanks folks – plenty to look at there.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

We used to go all the time to Surf at Hells mouth from Manchester.

Their are 2 campsites relatively close to the beach (still need a little drive if you are carrying anything). Small one next to the Sun Inn more sheltered if it gets windy and one past the beack on the same road that is much bigger with more space for kids to run etc.

We used to really like Abersoch but I guess in August it will be Bently and RangeRover central, still a nice place and got a couple of good sandwich places.

The Sun Inn is a nice pub but does get incredible busy at feeding time.

higgo
    Free Member

It’s been said before but it is Wilmslow-by-Sea and full of the worst of the ‘Cheshire Set’. They act like utter **** with impunity/disregard.

There are better places to go on the Lleyn.

teenrat

I’d bypass Abersoch altogether and go straight to Aberdaron. Two pubs, nice beach, plenty to do outdoors wise and alot friendlier than Abersoch.

Depends what you’re after, but Abersoch is defo cheshire by the sea and is a place i always avoid.

uwe-r
    Free Member

No place is as close to its own stereotype as Abersoch. Stay well clear of the village and the warren as it is infested with people who think jet skiing is a sport.

Anglesey has a bit more class but the waves are not as big and most places are very quiet! Betwys is lovely but once you are in the Mountains you will be in the rain.

geoffj

There are better places to go on the Lleyn.

Tell me more – for body boarding / kayaking?

Anglesey has a bit more class but the waves are not as big and most places are very quiet!

I lived in Beaumaris for 2 years as a student 20 years ago – it looks much more gentrified now.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Abersoch – worth a trip? Any campsite recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.