Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Aberdour – Torry Hill – A909 trail. Bale spike near miss content.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Some Fife riders may know this trail.

The Right of Way is signposted down past the row of cottages from the farm track and down the singletrack to Aberdour.

I rode it recently and found some fallen trees across it. This afternoon I walked down it with my chainsaw and cleared the upper end of the path.

On the way back I stopped and spoke to the farmer. He said that a rider had taken a short cut through his steading, which isn’t on the Right of Way, early on Sunday morning. It’s a working farm and that early in the morning the last thing he expected to see was a cyclist descending at speed through his yard. The rider was lucky, the farmer was exiting a blind building with a front tractor mounted bale spike. A second earlier and he would have been skewered.

I have mistakenly taken that route myself and have been stopped by the farmer. He’s a decent chap and he is worried that an accident is likely.

If you are up that way, please stick to the singletrack trail, it’s much better anyway and now it’s clear, at least until the brambles return.

vorlich
    Free Member

Is this the farm down to the left before the cottages? I took that route first time I rode this, had to double back too once I realised I should’ve gone straight on.

I don’t ride that trail too often, but I do ride (not especially fast) through the yard at Clentrie Farm after coming down from Camilla Loch, wouldn’t fancy getting spiked!

Thanks for clearing the trail. I did get out for a short loop on the Mukluk at the weekend, over the beach to Kinghorn, past the Ecology centre and back down to Burntisland from the Binn Village. Trails are nice and dry for a change! 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Is this the farm down to the left before the cottages?

Yes. It’s not that clear where the right of way goes as there is often a closed gate before the cottages, the trail goes straight past them. The trails are great just now, it’s a treat after weeks and weeks of rain through the winter.

over the beach to Kinghorn,

Where is the best place to ride on the beach from Burntisland to Kinghorn? I’ve tried it a few times riding out to the Black Rocks which can be a challenge with deep pools and corrugated sand. Is it any easier nearer the shore?

vorlich
    Free Member

I usually just head out to Black Rock, as you describe, then pick up the firmer/smoother stuff further out, I missed low tide at the weekend and had to stay close to the train line up to the caravan park and it was more pleasant to ride. I like to be further out at low tide though, even if it does mean wet feet.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Aberdour – Torry Hill – A909 trail. Bale spike near miss content.’ is closed to new replies.