Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Aberdeenshire/Stonehaven and Fetteresso forest… rose tinted content.
  • nickhit3
    Free Member

This is a hell of a punt, but I don’t know if any Aberdeen/Stoney loons know anything about the current state of Fetteresso forest and its once decent network of mini DH runs and singletrack. It was my old stomping ground from ’96-2010 ish, but I now live in the NW of England.. is there still worthwhile riding to be had in the forests or has everything I might have known from that time now been flattened or removed due to forestry work? I know the NS stuff was removed long before I left but the natural trails I knew of were still intact. I’m heading up to the NE of Scotland in april with my bike to do some riding – some of which is for sentimental reasons- but want to know if its worth taking a spin up there in 2017. Will be riding a fairly squishy freeride bike but that has always been the case..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bring bike. Go scolty.

Although my mate says that fettersso does still have some good trails I’ve not been across since about 2007/8 riding the trails down in the hole where the see saw was.

nickhit3
    Free Member

ah yeah. I recall that bit. Used to session it at the end of the loops I did. Scolty is on the itinerary, got some local knowledge from an old bud of mine who knows the trails there. For various reasons, I’ve actually never biked on Scolty but been up there on foot since I was knee high to a 26″ IRC Kujo. Looks like a great place now. Pitfichie (which i have ridden 10 years ago or so), and some other natural trails i have in mind too. Any other notable suggestions? Gear wise I’m not afraid of a push up/scramble but 20 mile XC loops are probably out of the question.

stumpy120
    Free Member

Drumtochty
    Durris
    Hill of Fare
    Bennachie
    Ballater

nickhit3
    Free Member

cheers, Hill of Fare looks decent for a wee blast.

hairyscary

Scolty and mostly the stuff on Hill of Goauch
    Drumtochty
    Bennachie and Millstone Hill

……would be the order in which I would choose to ride the ‘local’ish’ hills. I live closest to Hill of Fare, but rarely ride there as I think the steeper stuff just doesn’t work very well and is getting a bit worn out.

fanatic278
    Free Member

Out of interest, is the stuff on Scolty rideable/fun for a wheels on the ground wimp? Or shall I stick to Hill of Goauch / Shooting Greens?

nickhit3
    Free Member

Cheers @ HairyScary 🙂

hairyscary

I went the other way, born and bred in the NW of England and now live in Aberdeenshire.
    I think I win on the mtb front 😀

nickhit3
    Free Member

haha @ hairy scary. I agree! Was a privilege growing up in Aberdeenshire, and I wouldn’t still be biking today if it wasn’t for that grounding and those hills and forests! I’m next door to the Lake District living now in Lancaster so I’m not doing too badly mind you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Aberdeenshire/Stonehaven and Fetteresso forest… rose tinted content.’ is closed to new replies.