Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Aberdeen Winter tyres on the CRV?
  • toys19
    Free Member

Right, given the frost report I am about to hit go, are goodride tyres any good? These ones.

pomona
    Free Member

Lived in (sc)Aberdeen and the surrounding area for about 15 years and never once had winter tyres or chains.

Just learn how to drive properly and more importantly when not to drive

toys19
    Free Member

thanks for the advice pomona. Its positive constructive experiences like this that makes STW a better place than the real world.

pomona
    Free Member

Glad I could help and save you wasting your hard earned cash on something you don’t need.
    🙂

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member
    toys19
    Free Member

So does anyone else have any experience of these goodrides?

trail_rat
    Free Member

just learn how to drive properly and more importantly when not to drive

between 6am and 10am and 3pm and 7pm on any frosty day(november to march) thanks to the locals love of playing car tag – as shown this morning – nigh on every approach to the city had an incident on it

put forward my when not to drive scheme to work and they werent too keen on it really – so i sucked it up and i put winter tires on(my 4×4), meaning i can now drive on the back roads away from the traffic.

cant help with the goodrides but ive been using cheapo winter tires on my van and they cope admirably – better than the continental summer tires that were on it before in winter – and the bulk of my milage is in winter.

toys19
    Free Member

what brand are yours trail rat?
    Thanks couldashouldawoulda.

cultsdave
    Free Member

People who say you don’t need winter tyres or that its about how you drive have obviously never tried winter tyres. I drove the back roads around Aberdeen last year in the snow, had a few hill starts at junctions that would have been impossible without the winter tyres.

As for the wasting your money arguement? I bought a set of steel wheels for £120 and put the winters on them. My summer tyres now last twice as long as they are only on for half the time. Same the other way round.

As I bought the steels the cost of changing round the wheels is 30 minutes of my time! £140 is much less than my insurance excess so if they save me one wee bash I have saved my money.

Also because I have the winters on I am much happier and able to make it up to the ski resorts. Ignore the negative comments from people who have never tried them!

trail_rat
    Free Member

no idea will check tonight – im in the jeep today. Tonights task – fit winter tires to bike.

kcal

added bonus of a solid fuel stoved house is you can use the ash on the tracks. Would take quite a lot of ash to treat that track though I admit.

Would say on 80% of roads and surfaces then normal tyres and steady driving would be OK. /But/ it’s the 20% of roads or surfaces – or other drivers – that get you..

benz
    Free Member

Toys, TBH not sure about any tyre with Goodride on them….

I might be inclined to spend a little bit more to get the Hankook’s. Had them on my wife’s car the other winter and they worked fine and dandy.

toys19
    Free Member

benz, cheers, looks like the hankooks are cheaper anywAY.

bails

Just learn how to drive properly

I like how it’s one of those either/or things. You can either put on appropriate tyres, or you can drive sensibly. You can’t possibly do both. Like the “Doing 40mph and paying attention is safer than doing 30mph while not paying attention and blind and drunk”. Well yes, it might be, but there’s a mystery third option that beats both of them.

OP: I don’t ever expect to see as much snow as in trailrat’s photos, but I’ve got winter tyres on my car now, Conti WinterContacts. They’re better when it’s cold (4 degrees while driving to work this morning). They’re better when it’s wet. They’re better when there’s snow or slush on the ground. Use winter tyres and drive safely. Just don’t brake hard when there’s some tailgating idiot behind you because they won’t stop as quickly as you!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Just don’t brake hard when there’s some tailgating idiot behind you because they won’t stop as quickly as you! “

thats what tow bars and box section steel bumpers are for.

the photos i posted were from auchenblae but last year wasnt much better and im out in garlogie now – we had snow the height of the fence posts on the farm track.

toys19
    Free Member

Ok so if I buy online where does fitting?
    I have a quote for 2 x hankooks fitted for 91 each. But I can buy the tyres on mytyres for 65 delivered….

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where in the shire are you based ?

toys19
    Free Member

in the city of aberdeen, west end. Work at BoD, would happily go to dyce though as I go to and from airport every week.

molgrips
    Free Member

We live on a hill, it is not passable in snow on summer tyres. It is on winters though. That’s why we can get in and out fine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bfore you buy anything phone rainbow tires and explain you want winter tires and you have a quote of 63 for xyz tire see what they can do you.

benz
    Free Member

Toys, is that a quote from Sillets?

Surprised as they were about £6 more supplied and fitted than I could buy unfitted from mytyres…..

toys19
    Free Member

benz no kenways. Will call sillets and rainbow in the AM. cheers boys.

Northwind

FWIW I had Hankook Icebears on the Focus, they were bloomin excellent. More snow and mud grip than my silly fat snowproxes, and still decent enough in warmer conditions (better than your standard issue MOT pass no-names but not as good as a quality “summer” tyre, much as you’d expect). My first winter driving was a very snowy one and tbh I had no idea what I was doing, like any other learner, so if they kept me rubber side down I reckon they’re pretty darn good.

bruneep

in the city of aberdeen, west end. Work at BoD, would happily go to dyce though as I go to and from airport every week.

so using NAD, and A96/airport road as route? I’d just stick all season tyres on. Not much Gnarr on those routes, why not cycle?

RustyMac

As per page1 Aberdeen Tyres over in Torry will fit tyres you supply no bother at all. They are happy to do it as they make the most money on fitting rather than any markup on tyres. That is not to say they are expensive they quoted me £15 a corner.

toys19
    Free Member

bruneep- not my route, but I get your point. My tyres are worn anyway, these cost the same as normals, and the just in case factor…
    I do need to cycle..

bruneep

What way do you go to BoD then?

benz
    Free Member

My mate got some winter tyres he bought on Gumtree fitted at Kwikfit for £13 a corner yesterday if that gives another option.

toys19
    Free Member

Ok in the end Kenway were the cheapest fitted (well not quite but very convenient to my orifice).
    Rainbow were woeful on price, Sillets just have not answered the phone all day, I have called 6 times.

kcal

blackcircles.co.uk ?

stevemtb
    Free Member

The learn to drive comments really annoy me. I got stuck trying to get out of my drive to my flat a few years back, car would move forward but also slid sideways towards a post due to the camber of the road and depth of snow. Car to the left mean I couldn’t go further left. Car only came out of there when I’d dug out that whole corner and got a push along the rest – no idea how I’d have got out with different driving style, tried first and second, second first attempt with low revs creeping along. Nothing stopped it sliding towards the post – few days later with similar snow fall and winter fronts it drove straight out. Could go hunting snow rather than avoid it. The ice patch everyone got stuck on one day was easy too – even towed a stuck van off it.

At one point I had two different Volvos, an auto T5-R with fairly sporty tyres and a manual diesel V70 with normal tyres. Drove the T5 round to my sisters and got stuck on a hill that I couldn’t believe I got stuck on, sharp turn across another lane on to it then straight up, still not enough snow to get stuck. Drove home, got the other one and drove straight up it in second with low revs – different cars, different drivetrains and different tyres can make massive differences.

Have had on at least one car/van since trying them. Not sure what to do this winter though, got a set for the Transit that’ll go on shortly but have recently got a Forester which has 4×4. Transit was pretty amazing last winter but the Foz with winters should be better still.

toys19
    Free Member

Kenway=rubbish

On collecting my car just now, my drivers side wheel was loose, actually rattling/knocking. 😕

wiz74

Agree with most of what has been said in terms of pro winter tyres, the difference it makes is astounding. One year it took me 20 mins (and probably cost 6 months worth of summer tyre wear due to spinning wheels) to get in my drive which had 6 inches of snow on it (Audi A3 non-quattro obviously!). No problems whatsoever with winters on. Also means you can stop worrying about what your cars capabilities are and be more vigilant of other road users that may not have winter tyres 🙂

One point of note / warning, I had cheap winter tyres a couple of years ago – they were spectacular in snow, super grippy and loads of pull away traction – however they were borderline dangerous on wet roads. There was an auto bild tyre test were they refused to test a number of winter tyres as their wet road performance was considered too dangerous.

Last year I got one of the top 10 tyres in the test that year – decent price (480 quid for 4 x tyres and steel wheels new from mytyres) and means I can swap them myself. Snow performance is fantastic but they are safe in the wet – this can be a real issue in the UK where some super optimised snow tyres (developed for countries where there is snow on the road consistently for months)are not great on wet roads.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Snow performance is fantastic but they are safe in the wet – this can be a real issue in the UK where some super optimised snow tyres (developed for countries where there is snow on the road consistently for months)are not great on wet roads. “

no worse than offroad mud tires really and have never found the limits of those either – but im not into rally driving on the public highway.

trail_rat
    Free Member

poor work from kenway there as well toys.

mytires reportedly use johnmcinnes here in dyce who have gleeming reports from my colleagues for future referance.

i use PRmotors in arbroath for any work i dont do though – family friend – and he doesnt laugh too hard when i turn up after i broke something.

wiz74

Yeah – probably true trail rat – although I got caught out by them the inside lane of a roundabout on the A96, kind of thing that can easily catch an enthusiastic (not rally) driver out on a slick road. Just something to be mindful off.

The snow / ice / cold road benefits outweigh their limitations fully I would say. Some other winter tyre review type report indicated that if you had to pick one tyre all year round in the uk then it would be better to winter than summer! I believe the jury is still out a little on teh all season tyres…All Season Tyres – UK

molgrips
    Free Member

I have Nokian WR G2s on the Passat which are optimised for wet, slushy and muddy roads in temperate climates. Not as good in snow as pure snows, but I reckon that’s ideal for the UK.

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah I will not be going back to Kenway.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Aberdeen Winter tyres on the CRV?’ is closed to new replies.