Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Aberdeen Winter tyres on the CRV?
  • toys19
    Free Member

I am approaching my first winter in the granite city, my tyres will be dead in a month or so, so given that I have a 4×4 (well kinda)* will I need winter tyres tooo?

And/Or recommend me a tyre 205/70 15, and an ABZ tyre outfit..

apparently it is shit off road and in snow/ice..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Winter tyres trump 4×4

Its nice to be able to stop and steer as well as gain forward motion

Cant help with a tyre shop as i get mine from a family friend back home

toys19
    Free Member

well I hope a pseudo 4×4 with winter tyres might trump something.
    cool i have done some googling and think i shall get some.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

Well fwiw i have a frontera on bfg all terrains ( overkill for a crv) and ive passed quite a few “real” 4x4s so dont be too worried about the crv reputation – its a better rep than a frontera 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

Will be superb on winters.

I run winter 16″ers on my Type R daily driver and with a LSD, it eats up the snow and ice up to Lecht and the Shee….!

metalheart
    Free Member

Try Rainbow Express Tyres in Kingswells or Laws Tyres (BoD or Altens).

Used both.

youngrob

Try Black Circles and choose a local fitting centre. I’ve found they’re always cheaper than the local garages.

Northwind

Winter tyres are ace, and not just in snow, I took great satisfaction pulling a freeloader out of a swampy pitmedden with my old focus :mrgreen: Let’s offroad! I don’t think most people would believe the difference it makes in snow… Last winter I went for random drives in the snow in my mondeo, just seeing how far into the hills I could get, I ran out of ground clearance a few times and ended up snowploughing along with cascades of snow coming over the bonnet, could hardly believe the places I could get it.

Oh aye, don’t rule out buying used wheels and tyres, lots of people buy a second set then end up with them spare when they sell the car. I got a full set of ugly alloys and lightly used snowproxes for less than I’d have paid for a single tyre, never mind fitting, and it’s far more convenient to just swap wheels when needed.

benz
    Free Member

Sillett tyres are close to most on line places for price.

Don’t expect a nice lounge, coffee, etc, but Rob is a good lad. His missus is scary ‘though.

Oh, yes, get some.

toys19
    Free Member

thanks stwers, have bookmarked and will be winter tyred up by nov.

sparksmcguff

Sillets is the place. The guy does all the taxis in Aberdeen it seems (so cheap). He’s fast too. Really fast.

benz
    Free Member

Yep, Rob has to be the fastest fitter around. Fearsome work ethic.

I once suggested that he need not rush my job as no-one else was waiting. “Nah! You never know when more will arrive!” Well, words to that effect….

An institution.

toys19
    Free Member

Is this the right place? Seems like bikes only?

benz
    Free Member

Yes, that is the one indeed….gone all hi-tech too!

benz
    Free Member

Looks that way but give them a call. Many, many car tyres in stock or next day delivery.

Last time I bought they were about £5 more fitted each than I could buy online unfitted.

Give them a try.

toys19
    Free Member

ok. cheers

MS
    Free Member

Where are you mostly driving? Around town or out in the sticks?

I drive a terrible car in snow (on paper – Focus ST) but never once have got stuck or not got where I want to go with normal tyres…I say it’s more about how you drive to be honest.

Won’t be buying any this year either, and I do have a 30 mile commute to work every morning…

thegreatape
    Free Member

I got mine from mytyres

+1 for winter tyres > 4×4

matt_outandabout

We have some ‘all year’ tyres on the Touran (Hankook Optimo 4S) and they were the shizzle in last winters snow and ice – yet also worked well and did not wear out in the summer.
    Yaris wears a cheap pair of winter tyres (Conway something) that are better in proper snow, but not as good in the ice.
    They are being changed on Monday, and I expect some Hankooks to be on there. Yaris does far less miles, so not bothered about increased(ish) wear in summer.

toys19
    Free Member

from west end to bridge of don, and about to soclty/pitchfichie etc..

The issue is I am a contractor and if i miss a day I don’t get paid, so I want belt and braces..

bruneep

from west end to bridge of don

Bike it

get quote from BC and get Laws to beat it. Thats what I do.

luke
    Free Member

We deal with Laws tyres at never heard any complaints.

MS
    Free Member

I’m staff so I don’t mind 😀

rickt
    Free Member

Uk tyre shopper…. And don’t buy cheaps far easts

trail_rat
    Free Member

West end to bod winnae need em but if you are heading out to the trails youll likely want em.

Strictly speaking i dont “need” them but having them means i dont need to sit in th ehorrendous traffic with everyone else who doesnt have them – deeside road – anderson drive – haudagain – dyce

Just go the backroads.

Ms uses the dualer to get to town and works in town – if he needs the, ever the rest of us are screwed and the tires or 4wd i wont be going to work – ill be more worried about how im gonna get food.

Woody
    Free Member

I drive a terrible car in snow (on paper – Focus ST) but never once have got stuck or not got where I want to go with normal tyres…I say it’s more about how you drive to be honest.

No it isn’t. How you drive has a bearing (and there are some truly shocking drivers out there) but M+S tyres make a huge difference and will get you places that ‘all weather’ tyres won’t and in much greater safety.

Re ‘cheap Far Easts’ – I’m going into my third winter with GT Champiro’s on my own car, which cost me £59 a corner and they have been excellent. I also drive a lot on Michelin Alpins at work on a Ford Focus and TBH wouldn’t spend the extra money.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Although safer remember they are not some magic bullet – they do not give your seat ibiza magic diff lock powers ( towed an ibiza out of the road side last year when a schoolrun mum in her 4×4 didnt want to get it dirty by moving over onto the verge. )

Ibiza driver said ” i thought id be ok i have winter tires on”

They also still have traction limits most noticably under breaking – as the audi s5 driver found out last year when he overtook me on a steep downhill and parked the car on the outside of the bend on top of the banking.

RustyMac

Just took a wheel to Aberdeen Tyres (based in Torry) for a puncture repair on Tuesday, friendly service and good price of £12.50 for repair and re-balance. They are happy to fit tyres you provide if you find just what you want online. I plan on using them again next time I need new tyres.

Woody
    Free Member

They also still have traction limits most noticably under breaking – as the audi s5 driver found out last year when he overtook me on a steep downhill and parked the car on the outside of the bend on top of the banking.

I shouldn’t really but…… 😆

Similar incident happned to me, except the guy didn’t make it as far as the bottom of the hill and used the drystone dyke as a brake!

sparksmcguff

Matt_outandabout, snap, have got a touran and yaris too.

The Sillets tyre guy likes his bikes, but he does do car tyres as benz confirmed. It’s worth going there just to witness him change all four tyres on a car in around 15mins. That’s jack the car up without any fancy schmancy hoist or lift, remove the wheels, change the tyres, balance the wheels and re-attach them all in about 15 minutes. Don’t try and talk to his wife, just pay.

Winter driving in the ‘deen is outstanding – everything melts and freezes continuously.

euain

Civic Type-R living in the sticks near Oldmeldrum – winter tyres FTW. So long as I waited for the tractor to come round to clear the drifts, I made it in every day. The Civic was crap in the snow on summer tyres – fantastic with the winter ones.

You can make all kinds of claims about it all being the driver – but you’d not get up the hill next to my house in a Civic without winter tyres on!

Turriff tyres were really good for me a couple of years ago – cheap alloys and tyres. Never looked back!

the_lecht_rocks

Indeed CTR on winters with LSD FTW 🙂
    Keeping mine as a daily driver for that reason alone… Shee approach in ice no issues !

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well im a prize twonk

Bought exactly the same tire size as was on my frontera but in a different brand

They arrived from my supplier today

Bolted them on , found out i couldnt even get out the drive –

Tire is 3 inches taller than old ones.

Good thing about old cars. Arch liner off – grinder out , wing cut.

Can get out the drive now 🙂 – and as the shocks compress the wheel moves away from the arch so no interferance issue

bruneep

You should move here terry

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

FWIW I did 2 winters in Aberdeenshire and didn’t bother with winter tyres. Don’t think you get them to fit a Kawasaki GT750. Still, I suppose fitting them’s probably easier than learning to drive to the conditions

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye good luck getting your gt750 out the road from my house. Driving skill only gets you so far it doesnt turn you into a laws of physics defying god , neither do tires but, the right application of both can be the difference between me getting out of the house in winter and sitting at home twiddling my thumbs for a couple weeks – or months in the case of my old house where the drive iced up solid for 3 months ( a 2 mile farm track drive way)

Everyone except my neighbour and landlord had a 4×4 so no one was interested in clearing the track. Ended up hauling my neighbours car out from the house and it was parked at the bottom of the drive till spring.

trail_rat
    Free Member

[Img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8HxWlxWgGhE/TTNcUWwIWWI/AAAAAAAAGxg/n3Gxt1oB-pE/s640/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg[/img]

The car at the bottom of the last photo went down with its wheels locked almost all the way – the farmer ploughed it yes – but its as slick as the part top photo underneeth.

And it was like that from november till february.

Northwind

I’ll give you an entire scottish pound to ride that gt750 up and down that.

sweepy
    Free Member

It amazes me that people will spend a fortune on summer tyres with a tiny bit more grip for summer when you dont need it, but suggest that winter tyres might give more grip when you really might need it and its like you’ve said they have a tiny nob

euain

About 10 minutes after this video was taken, we flattened the jump and drove up the hill in the Civic. 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4JCkmhXgKY[/video]

Commute this year – luckily the farmer had been out in the tractor first:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku6-ZBF8ips[/video]

Aberdeenshire winters – great fun.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Aberdeen Winter tyres on the CRV?’ is closed to new replies.