Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Aberdeen to Bergen flights with bike! Anyone done this?
  • Chipbutty
    Free Member

Hey folks.
    Has anyone flown to Bergen from Aberdeen and taken their bike? Was fancying a trip out there this year. I know some of the airlines are only using small twin prop aircraft so luggage space may be an issue. just wondering if anyone done this flight and had any issues?

Cheers
    CB

jam-bo

my guess is a flight like that will be full of O&G commuters travelling with hand luggage only.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Fair point jambo. It states on the airlines small print that if they cannot fit your bike on board they will send it on the next available aircraft with space. Worried if that happens I end up on a 3 day bike trip with no bike! hopefully as you say its mainly Gas/Oil employees.

Cheers

wideboy
    Free Member

These flights are indeed full of O&G crew, however the turbo props are pretty wee, and lots of us have 2 bags checked in. To be fair, I reckon you’d likely be fine though.

Easy way to avoid any issue is to make sure the flight/s are operated by SAS and not Wideroe/Eastern.

SAS fly ‘real’ planes, Wideroe and Eastern (codeshare, same flight these days) only fly dash TPs (beware Wideroe also codeshares with SAS!)

If flying SAS for a big plane, I believe you’ll need to go via SVG. It’s usually the same kind of price though, beware that some connections are only 30min, and you need to clear customs and re-check your bag in that time…

KLM also fly ABZ-BGO via AMS, often for similar prices, but this usually takes an extra few hours, and your bike is way more likely to go AWOL at Schippol than Sola!

motorman
    Free Member

I went from Aberdeen – Bergen – Bodo with my bike a few years back with Wideroe, no problems at all. Air out the tyres, pedals off, turn the bars and shove in a CTC bike bag.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Looks like Wideroe are the main ones for going direct from ABZ. Should be ok hopefully. Thanks for info folks.

duir
    Free Member

SAS fly ‘real’ planes, Wideroe and Eastern (codeshare, same flight these days) only fly dash TPs

SAS usually use 737 500’s into Aberdeen, they are old jets (25 years old +), Wideroe use Dash 8 q400 a modern turboprop, Eastern use Jetstream 41 an old turboprop, Saab 2000 a modern turboprop and now have Embraer 145 and Embraer 170 modern jets.

Referring to turboprops as not ‘real’ planes will get you lynched among my turboprop pilot friends! 😀

Flaperon

Aberdeen – Heathrow – Bergen possible option.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Aberdeen to Bergen flights with bike! Anyone done this?’ is closed to new replies.