Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Aberdeen riders – where to ride, have most of a day free
  • kcal

Got to take daughter through to Grampian schools orchestra thing for 9am Sunday; collect again 5pm. Not going to faff about driving back and nothing that would occupy me for that long in town.

Might just take a pair of boots and go for a hike, otherwise is there some loop or out and back that could be done for say 5 / 6 hours? Don’t really want a road ride on unfamiliar roads even if quiet; happy to take the cross bike and do a path bimble, Deeside e.g., or the single speed and go for a pootle somewhere.

Anywhere not too taxing on my skills or brain for navigation? Will take a GPS and don’t mind exploring, but don’t want something that’s turn by turn for 3 hours. I doubt Kirkhill could keep me occupied for effectively all day..

euain

Scolty (just outside Banchory) is always good for play. I’d be happy to show you round some of the fun stuff on Millstone/Bennachie if you wanted – I could escape for a couple of hours :).

Alternatively, head into the Deeside hills – Fungle Path is one that sticks out. Something like this: Fungle Option (Strava)

hairyscary

Any of the multi-peak routes around Bennachie and Millstone would be my suggestion. If I get my car back before Sunday I could show you round, although I’m sure you’ve done some of the trails before.
    Matt

euain

You could also head up to Glenlivet if you want a trail centre experience. I think the riding in Aberdeenshire’s probably better – but it would certainly not require any navigation and the burgers in the cafe are excellent.

suburban
    Free Member

All good suggestions. Kirkie is a short sharp one and 3 hours isnt representative of somethign to remember. If the weather is good I would always suggest heading to the hills. Enter stage left, clachnabenn. Its about a 45 minute drive out, 2-2.5 hr loop, cracking descent.

http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue.aspx?VenueNumber=4

Bennachie/Millstone is my doorstep also and i have a huge bias for it naturally! If the weather is like it was today… i envy you 🙂 plenty of route choices, if your going of Donview side of Millstone a lot of trees down still, suggest the old walkers route 50m to the west.

hairyscary you betts?

paladin

I did pitfichie last time I stayed in aberdeen, its a decent trail.
    Also went to kirkhill, I think I could prob spend a day there exploring the various trails…

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Sorry for the highjack, but any of you Aberdeenshire people able to recommend a place to stay near the Glenlivet trails. Pub based B&B preferred.

cheers

hairyscary

Suburban……

I’m not sure what/who betts is.

My name is Matt Smith and I ride a Whyte 146 around Millstone and Bennechie a fair bit, usually from DonView on Tuesday and Thursday’s.

I’m also a bit biased, hidden gem of a hill.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Mither Tap – old nipple hill

kcal

Thanks all. Don’t want to beast myself (or injure myself!) on the day, just something to occupy the time.

Was at Glenlivet on Saturday as it happens – probably closer to me (Elgin) than Aberdeen in any case 🙂

Will def. look at Kirkhill – and Bennachie (though I’ll need to bouncy hard tail for that I think). cheers matt for offer – just not sure what timings / plans I have so don’t want to commit to a rendezvous and then find it’s all gone to pot.

Strong winds fore case anyway, though dry, so will review on Saturday..

Callum

cultsdave
    Free Member

Check out this site for suggestions. http://www.ecurieneep.co.uk/routes1.asp
    I am not part of that club but their site is useful.

skindog
    Free Member

Ecurie Neeps club has a ride every Sunday if your reasonably proficient.

Kirkhill is closest to town and 3hours would definitely be killed, some good routes and very muddy. If your just looking to potter about then it would be a good call as the trail builders have been busy and there are loads of unmarked trails to explore.

suburban
    Free Member

kcal,

depending on your ability/type of riding preference its very easy to come undone on Bennachie/Millstone/clachnabenn (and Scolty depending which trail you pick). That said some of the best flowing natural trails around. but thats my personal bias. Decisions are usual weather based, if its been particularly wet i avoid Kirkhill. But trail fairies have been rather active…

Glenlivet, personally i love, not technically challenging but just flows on and on and on. Breathe of fresh air imho.

hairyscary, sorry thought you were mister Betts, he is like Bennachies very own gruffalo 🙂 However, to more serious matters… you stole a KOM from me i was informed on Sunday, on a climb though, so thats OK 🙂

hairyscary

I reckon some racing snake will be along pretty soon and take about 2 minutes off my time, and like you say it’s a climb so who cares*

* puts CX bike in car and heads to Bennachie 😀

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Surprised no ones mentioned it yet but you could also give pitfichie a try, it’s got a decent trail if you stick to the main one but there is some other stuff if you’re happy to go looking. Then there’s also the option of the dh trail although I’ve not done it for a couple of years now and that was on a ht.

Bennachie is def a good shout as is scolty. I could probably spend the whole day at scolty and not run out of stuff to ride 🙂

euain

kcal, did you get a good ride out on Sunday then?

kcal

euain, was just getting around to posting up my doings!

I decided that my tech skills might be a bit lacking on exposed (riding and weather) trails, and I needed to get back through afterwards rather than end up crippled for the drive.. muddy might have been OK was at wedding on Saturday eve anyway, so settled for —

took the all road ss bike, straight out of Nrothfield – wended way towards and round Countesswells woods for a bit, dropped down through Bieldside onto Deeside Way.

Pleasant spin though breezy headwind, from Banchory found Scolty woods. Saw a bunch of folk at the bottom of the access road, had just come down the sliver alongside the road I think. Not brave enough for the trails, so headed through the woods to the west side. At that point I realised I would be too short of time to reach Aboyne so retraced my route as far as Drumoak, where a cousin lives.

Lunch! Chiller ride back into town through tailwind helped. Forgot how cyclepaths are like in big towns – slalom riding, managed pretty well I though with most folk but still got shouted at 🙁

Back with 30min to spare to collect offspring, 55 miles or so, felt good. Wind was sligher in Aberdeen than Moray, as I crossed back over the county boundary on way back it increased again, if you guys think it was windy on Sunday through with you, I’m sure it was worse in Moray..

suburban
    Free Member

it was a tad windy in the open i believe. Still got a lovely day to go for a big jolly. Now you have a big list for next time…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Aberdeen riders – where to ride, have most of a day free’ is closed to new replies.