Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Aberdeen living – areas to avoid ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Looking for a flat in aberdeen.

2 bedroom preferably with off street parking.

bridge of don is rougly 6-650 a month for this.

i know to avoid torry but are there any areas of aberdeen that are nice but not “as” nice ?

650 isnt the issue its just the i feel im limiting my options by just saying we will live in bridge of don. Will obviously go and check the houses out before i commit to anythign but rather than waste my time looking in the wrong areas some guidance would be appreciated !

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

i’d avoid aberdeen, myself

areas around aberdeen are nice – stonehaven is commuting distance, but trouble if there’s roadworks on the a90.

trail_rat
    Free Member

not really an option stony is going to be a car drive for me and the missus , only got one car

might as well stay where i am atm if moving to stony (im in arbroath…just as easy to jump on train here as it is there)

tankslapper
    Free Member

Aberdeen?

the_lecht_rocks

have you tried :

http://www.aspc.co.uk

trail_rat
    Free Member

sorry perhaps i waffled a bit

im having no issue finding flats , all im looking for is a bit of advice as to which areas of the city to avoid and others which are ok

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well the ASPC site and Aberdeen property leasing will find you stuff when you know where you want to live. Other places to have a look at are Rosemount, The West End, & Ferryhill as well as places that are in the town centre. Nothing wrong the Bridge of Don, but I wouldn’t choose to live there.

Other places to avoid are Mastrick, Northfield, Woodside and to a lesser extent Kittybrewster & Hilton

There are plenty of other nice areas in and around the town (e.g. Mannofield, Cragiebutler) but they are unlikely to have flats for rent and any houses there are likely to be more expensive as would place on Deeside.

If you know where you are working then that will inform the better places to live. e.g. you don’t really want to be living on the south of the city if you are working in around Dyce and similarly a communte from Bridge of Don to Altens wouldn’t be a lot of fun either doruing the morning rush.

yossarian
    Free Member

down by the harbour is best, as close to the schooner public house as poss. 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

the missus will be on placement most of the year at various school in aberdeen area. As for me ill be on my bicycle so anything 10-15 miles from where i work is fine by me ! so situation isnt really an issue.

anyway thanks gone fishing thats what i was looking for !

All i need now is some of these job applications to come toward with a job offer – or alpine bikes it is for me !

DrJ

Where are you going to be working? Main problem is traffic and the bottlenecks at bridge crossings. Bridge of Don is OK but boring – masses of identical houses. Nicer (in my mind) towards the centre. You will want to avoid the estates at Woodside etc., but that is pretty obvious.

fwb2006
    Free Member

What DrJ said. There are nice parts around though, I live in Ferryhill and like it. Anywhere by Duthie Park, Mannofield, Craigiebuckler are fine as is most of the west end. Use that aspc.co.uk link to find house you like and avoid the dodgy areas.

DrJ

fwb2006 – where in Ferryhill? I used to live on Springbank Terrace – perfect location for pubs, takeaways, and Alpine 🙂

fwb2006
    Free Member

Ferryhill place. A mate lives on Springbank too! I find here close enough to town, but not too close, can still stumble home after a night out or head for a curry to the jewel in the crown. I get the train out to Dyce for work and its a lot quicker than driving. Where you live now?

DrJ

Holland 🙁 No hills within a million miles, pisses down 364 days a year.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

i did stay in fittie for a while – it was quite nice in itself, but after a night in the town having to head home past the barbour hookers was a bit of a pain.

bruneep

Gonefishin pretty much summed it up.

I stay in BOD well, Danestone (west end of BOD) 😉 Nowt wrong with BOD, traffic can be a bit mental at times but if you’re biking its not a problem. Ferryhill is good apart from the Ferryhill house hotel, many an evening wasted in the beer garden 😳

the_lecht_rocks

fwb2006 – my favourite curry house be that, the Jewel in the Crown 😀

fwb2006
    Free Member

The Jewel in the crown is by far my fav too, the chicken dhall’s are something to behold. On a slightly different note for any locals, we are looking at putting a team or 2 together for the first monster challenge http://www.firstmonster.co.uk/index.php anyone here interested?

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

Around old aberdeen is nice, and close to the uni. King street towards town is ok and down towards the beach is pretty nice too. Top of holburn street is ok and the streets off holburn street are generaly pretty nice.

marionheck
    Free Member

terry,

I used to live in Westhill, slightly outside, but great riding from the door step, good for both north and south of town, a decent commute in on teh bike with road / offroad options for all of town so a decent ride to and from. Not the best if you want to go to town for drinks etc… but i never really did. Did i mention the good biking?!!?!?

When you get there drop me an email and I can put you in touch with some bikers up there.

Cheers

Dave

trail_rat
    Free Member

ended up in bucksburn. golfcourse behind and great northern road infront.

the_lecht_rocks

hey trail-rat……

not far from Elrick / Tyrebagger and Kirkers…..my local stomping ground…..

fancy a ride sometime ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

sounds good , will drop you a mail when im officially up there.

Currently applying to all the outdoor shops and bike shops in the city to find some work.

Plenty part time , needing full time.

The missus is up for PCGE.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Aberdeen living – areas to avoid ?’ is closed to new replies.