Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • Abandoned places
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cropped up while looking at filming locations for Skyfall.
    http://www.eloquent-web-and-graphic-design.com/featured_sites/abandoned_places/index.html

Some fascinating pics and stories.

flip
    Free Member

Lovely, love desolate places 😛

Sad place this one though

http://www.eloquent-web-and-graphic-design.com/featured_sites/abandoned_places/pripyat.html

I went to a place in Oz called Wittenoom and abandoned asbestos mining town that is now wiped of the map, spooky doesn’t do it justice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittenoom,_Western_Australia

bencooper
    Free Member

If you’re into that kind of thing, check out http://www.28dayslater.co.uk – disclaimer, I’m a mod on there 🙂

And to plug my own site a bit: http://www.transientplaces.co.uk

There’s loads of good stuff around in the UK if you look…

nickjb
    Free Member

We regularly trek to some of the many abandoned places around the UK. Really fascinating. The best ever where some old mining towns in outback Australia, though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wittenoom and abandoned asbestos mining town that is now wiped of the map, spooky doesn’t do it justice.

It’s on Streetview on Google maps! 😯

mandog

Interesting read. Very sad about the French town.

Pigface
    Free Member

How about some of Detroit?

cynic-al
    Free Member

My underpants.

flip
    Free Member

CFH Official maps….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Unfortunately, we once found ourselves having a holiday in godawful Cyprus. We did rent out a little moped and rode to the nearest point in the south where you can view Varosha. Terrible story. I’d give anything to be able to roam around it for a day. It was about the most interesting few hours of the holiday.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Great links bencooper; interesting to see Eastmoor Boys Home out in Meanwood Valley (Leeds) on 28dayslater, we ride through there on our night rides and it is CREEPY.

Shots of the derelict main building at Highroyds mental hospital were cool as well, I did my nurse training up there and ,again, a very atmospheric place, the shots if it empty only adding to the strange vibe of the place.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting link

I’ve seen some photos of Monserratt in the Carribean, largely deserted since the volcanic eruption, everything covered in sulphur ash

JulianA
    Free Member

Gonna check some of these links out shortly!

In the meantime, this place: DarkRoastedBlend has some GREAT pics. Lost towns, ekranoplans, Russian hydrofoils…

lowey

I find 28DL utterly absorbing. some of the pics on there are stunning.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Wow that 28DL sites amazing. I used to go to the snooker club in Stafford at a weekend, amazing to see it inside now. Remember the house rules really well. Great site.

legend
    Free Member

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Have a look at Derelict London… It’s another great site.

Or, if you like all the underground stuff try Subrit.org..

shifter
    Free Member

Ben Cooper – loving your pictures! and I only looked at the power station ones. Inverkip’s an impressive place.

chojin
    Free Member

Wow.

That *really* looks like a building from one of the Call of Duty MW games. Especially the swimming pool bit!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ferkin brilliant thread.

Well done Sir.

Muchos enjoyos.

I ride past Limehouse Public Library on occasion, such a lovely building, bit of a busy road though, that limehouse link.

shindiggy
    Free Member
    CountZero

Hmmmm, thanks, I think. I have a horrible feeling that I’ve just been given access to an even greater number of time sinks than Flipboard and STW! I’ll be checking all these links out in the near future, I love this kind of stuff.

bland

I drove through an abandoned Albanian village last week where the occupants had either been massacred or driven out by the Azeri’s. It was pretty chilling to see the place dessimated and there was still a heavy army presence kicking about so didnt get out for a walk round to take pictures unfortunately.

Just looked like a nuclear bomb had been dropped on the place

Kevevs
    Free Member

seen 28dl before but some seriously cool stuff on this thread

bland

Sorry Armenia, not Albania

grum
    Free Member

I’ve done a bit of this kind of stuff too – great fun climbing walls and dodging security etc!

_MG_1605_6_7 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

_MG_1592_3_4 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

P1040428_29_30_31_32_33_34-Edit by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

P1040544_45_46_47_48_49_50_tonemapped by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Saddleworth (9 of 16) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

P1040537_38_39_40_41_42_43 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

St George’s Works-8 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

Saddleworth (1 of 16) by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

_MG_1564_5_6 by Grum Wynne, on Flickr

P1040399

maccruiskeen

I’ve always fancied visiting California City – abandoned before it was even built. Just a bunch of lines in the desert but in google maps the lines have street names

although its not totally abandoned one or two people actually live there. As you zoom out you realise thats got to be a very weird experience.

bencooper
    Free Member

Good stuff, I do love a big Fourdrinier machine 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member
    Klunk
    Free Member
    Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

DT78
    Free Member

Fantastic links, there goes my morning!

Klunk
    Free Member

maccruiskeen
    trail_rat
    Free Member

i lurk on 28dl from time to time when i have time to kill (like the last 2 weeks)

love the invergordon fuel storage units and the forgotten rivers under bristol postings

beardy man always makes me laugh, pops up in just about every report about a certain welsh asylum “your under arrest”

Klunk
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Abandoned places’ is closed to new replies.