Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)
  • Aaron Gwin is insane
  • cookeaa

DT-Swiss EX471? that’s sold as an “Enduro” rim innit?

I can see them shifting a few more now…

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

How come you can see the spoke holes (i.e no tubeless tape) but there’s no sign of a tube? I guess something else has got ripped out, even with a tube in there you’d need a rim strip.

timb34
    Free Member

Looks taped to me – you can see the valve at the top.

I guess that being hammered down pretty much all of a DH track might have pushed the thin sticky tape down into the spoke holes a little bit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyrm
    Free Member

Looks like black rim tape and you can actually see the valve at the top.

Maybe he uses something other than Stans type yellow tape for strength or something?

chakaping
    Free Member

Maybe he uses something other than Stans type yellow tape for strength or something?

He might be re-thinking that now of course.

😉

DT-Swiss EX471? that’s sold as an “Enduro” rim innit?

I can see them shifting a few more now…

If I were DT’s marketing manager I’d be booking a series of back cover magazine adverts right now – just showing that picture.

A tad more persuasive than Renthal’s endless trumpeting of their handlebars on the backs of the mags!

bigjim

How come you can see the spoke holes (i.e no tubeless tape) but there’s no sign of a tube?

The air pressure pushes the tape into the holes, same happens with the yellow stan’s tape.

ninfan
    Free Member

Bike trade lesson number one – Don’t always believe what the stickers say on pro kit… 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As I see it the most of the guys have all had their bad round.
    Greg in cairns with the DQ
    Bryceland in SA with the chain off
    Gwinn Here

So will see who misses out next time

Northwind

chakaping – Member

He might be re-thinking that now of course.

Why? The failure probably didn’t have anything to do with the tape.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Hot off the press

Hardly. It’s the same article that has already appeared in the mag with no edit even to state he’d won his first WC DH race.

[EDIT]
    It would appear that in the last hour or so they have indeed added a little edit. I can do stealthy edits too you know 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Hardly. It’s the same article that has already appeared in the mag with no edit even to state he’d won his first WC DH race.

Apologies. I only went off what those, apparently lying bastards, at @singletrackmag said.

…so assumed it had been updated.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’ll see your inappropriate Manon crush and raise you an inappropriate Emmeline Ragot crush……..

Mon dieu.

jam-bo

Looked like he was running tubeless to me, didn’t see an innertube pop out

probably wouldnt have made it to the bottom if there was a tube. they tend to wrap up and jam the back wheel.

peachos
    Free Member

Just spotted that Kerr got DQ’d I’m guessing for landing on the tape which is a big shame for him.

Si Paton was talking about this on FB last night. Seems like a very unfair decision…

Bernard Kerr disqualified at the UCI World Cup is a wrong judgement.

I did exactly this at a race at Moelfre off the ski jump (not one of my races). All by accident (going too fast)! The BC comm tried to DQ me. Luckily I’m also a BC comm and the rule book states the poles used should be 1.5m high and the tape should be 0.5m off the ground.

As in Leogang, It’s a blind crest so you could argue the course was not taped correctly. This should have been picked up by the tech delegates/Comms from the UCI but we all make mistakes, even me. Also the course can only be changed for safety reasons and everyone would need to be informed at the start line. Changing the tape mid race is wrong and should not be allowed.

Safe to say I was not dq’d. Make sure you know the rules! I know I do!

The image tells the story pretty well. Kerr is in the bottom pic and you can see how much further in the tape is.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

^interesting…and annoying for Kerr I’m sure

cookeaa

Well DT are capitalizing on it now…

From DTs EX471 Product page (Under the “NEWS AND RIDERS” Tab):

INCREDIBLE RACE OF ARON GWIN
    DT Swiss components – made for common use as well as for worldcup riders with exceptional requirements:
    after catching a flat tire already at the beginning of the race Aron Gwin continues his descend unperturbed an manages to pass the finish line literally on his rims! Must watch:

Bike trade lesson number one – Don’t always believe what the stickers say on pro kit…

Not that I always believe the labels, but shirley it would be more likely that DT would sticker up an enduro Rim as a DH Rim than to dress their DH rim up as an Enduro one?

Plus looking at it the rim profile in that photo it actually looks like the EX471, if it were one of their DH rims say a EX500 or 533D or it would have a flatter top to the profile, I think they might have actually just used a EX471 as a bit of a weight saver, its notmally only got to last one run (generally with a tyre)…

cookeaa

When and how was that tape moved?

I did wonder if Kerr would get DQ’d when I was watching, I didn’t realize the tape had actually been moved.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

The air pressure pushes the tape into the holes, same happens with the yellow stan’s tape.

Ah, gotcha, Although I’ve got that set-up on four wheels at the moment, I’ve only ever had the tyres off tubeless set-ups on my old wheels which were UST rims and didn’t have tape.

AlexSimon

Is Kerr fighting it? Does he even have the ability to? – the 0.5m off the ground thing is definitely not true at the crest.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

When and how was that tape moved?

Looks like the tape got moved out at some point after Kerr’s run?

Northwind

If he knocked the pole down it’s pretty likely it didn’t get put back up in the same place. It was never .5 metres up either, stupid rule that tbf though, Si was quoting BC not UCI. Thing is I don’t think he didn’t ride out of the tape because it was badly taped, he rode out because he was a bit out of control, so that could only be a technicality I suppose

Last time I bothered to read the rules, you had to rejoin where you left, which I think meant “between the same poles”. But I hear there were changes for this year?

packer
    Free Member

Judging from this spectator video that has cropped up Kerr did go the wrong side of a pole and also inadvertently ended up moving the tape:

<iframe width=’500′ height=’281′ src=’http://www.pinkbike.com/v/embed/367576/?colors=c80000&#8242; allowfullscreen frameborder=’0′></iframe>

packer
    Free Member

I’ll try again:

[video]http://www.pinkbike.com/v/embed/367576/?colors=c80000[/video]

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Enter the URL (YouTube or Vimeo only)

packer
    Free Member
    honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

Last time I bothered to read the rules, you had to rejoin where you left, which I think meant “between the same poles”. But I hear there were changes for this year?

Miinaar was DQ’d for same earlier this season

Northwind

I haven’t seen Minaar’s actual run but he said he’d gone the wrong side of a pole. But then if Kerr did too that whole train of thought is bollocks 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

Seeing as how he runs over both of the poles in that video, surely he’s always on the correct side of them?

atlaz
    Free Member

Or always on the wrong side

AlexSimon

Yep – seeing that vid, he’s knackered.
    From the redbull feed, you couldn’t see the poles – it just looked like tape.

cookeaa

A feature like that should be taped as wide as possible anyway IMO, Especially as the rocks embedded on the face of it extend someway past the tape and Riders were turning Left Shortly before heading over over a blind crest on to it, was any purpose actually served by effectively narrowing the course at that point?

Where was the tape in practice and Qualification?

But I’d have to agree, He was the only one to put his wheels outside of the tape at that point on the course and he hit not one but two poles which apparently all the other’s missed, Real shame because it was his best result to date wasn’t it?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Rachael went through the tape on the outside of a corner in a WC race last season (Windham?), nearly crashed-off but got back on course, was not DQed, and went on to win the race.

It’s up to the commissioners to decide if the rider could have gained advantage by going though the tape. This is open to interpretation.

lemonysam
    Free Member

It’s up to the commissioners to decide if the rider could have gained advantage by going though the tape. This is open to interpretation.

I thought this was no longer true, if you leave then you have to come back at the same point no matter what.

cookeaa

Rachael went through the tape on the outside of a corner in a WC race last season (Windham?), nearly crashed-off but got back on course, was not DQed, and went on to win the race.

That incident is precisely why the rules are being so rigidly enforced this season, she really should have been DQ’d for that, the judgement that sje gained no time by leaving the course is balls TBH…

Really the UCI should allow some more proportionate penalties for “leaving the course, time added would be a better way to handle things IMO.

dirtydog
    Free Member
    DanW
    Free Member

Not that I always believe the labels, but shirley it would be more likely that DT would sticker up an enduro Rim as a DH Rim than to dress their DH rim up as an Enduro one?

It’s more that it is either a) A DT proto rim or b) Not made by DT Swiss at all.

But in answer to the question, if they were to sticker up a DH rim of any variety then an nice bonus might be that when the tyre blows off the rim the so called “Enduro” rim can survive a full DH run and gives some good publicity…

dirtydog
    Free Member

Could it be a Roval rim, look similar, see my previous post?

Speeder

dirtydog – Member
    Could it be a Roval rim, look similar, see my previous post?

It’s unlikely if DT Swiss are claiming it as a triumph. See this earlier post

cookeaa – Member
    Well DT are capitalizing on it now…

From DTs EX471 Product page (Under the “NEWS AND RIDERS” Tab):

INCREDIBLE RACE OF ARON GWIN
    DT Swiss components – made for common use as well as for worldcup riders with exceptional requirements:
    after catching a flat tire already at the beginning of the race Aron Gwin continues his descend unperturbed an manages to pass the finish line literally on his rims! Must watch:

Speeder

Re Kerr’s DQ; the 2 images in peachos’ post show the tape being moved significantly. was that because of his crashing into the poles or did they move them before meaning they were tighter than he would have expected?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Aye just read that Speeder, clearly not a Roval then.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Aaron Gwin is insane’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts