Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Aarggh just bought a motorhome……..
  • gdm4

….need reassuring I’ve done the right thing, show me your motorhome adventures please….

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Rent it to me in September to get some of your investment back 😉

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/camper-van-hire-companies

sweepy
    Free Member

I cant think of any downside to a motorhome, North for the winter, South for the summer, Enjoy it.

gdm4

John we hired one from turtle motorhomes before buying to see if we liked it, its a motorhome rather than camper however but they were really nice to deal with – based in Leyland Lancashire if any use to you.

maccruiskeen

show me your motorhome adventures

🙂

olddog

We had one for about 6 years. Got if for a seven month surf trip down the Atlantic coast with Mrs OD as a 40th birthday pressie to us both. We lived in it for the full 7 months, got into a real rhythm of living. So chilled, best thing we’ve done.

Used for lots of shorter domestic and European trips including the 2007 RWC in France.

It was a real happy place for us, to point where just sitting in it brought an air of chilled wellness down on me.

Btw big European cities, tend to well served for campsites at the end of Metro lines for easy city breaks/stop offs on longer trips Madrid, Paris,Lisbon and Bordeaux to name four.

My advice is to go awat just rellllaaaaxxxxxxx…..

What have you got?

gdm4

😆

gdm4

Old dog nice words cheers – Swift Sundance 630L – 6 berth. Looking forward to family time.

Tracey

Bought ours last year and have been all over with it. Chausson Welcome 718EB. This year it will be used even more. Our only regret is that we didn’t buy one sooner.

mattyfez

My old man sold up, bought a mid size 4 berth hymer and toured Europe for about 2 years looking for somewhere to buy a new house and settle into retirement, eventually on the south coast of Spain.. He’s got some amazing stories and pictures in the process.

alpin
    Free Member

one of these? the SIZE of it!!!!!! why not sell your house and move into that? save on council tax…..

only have a LWB T5, but is enough for me and the GF for several weeks at a time.

gdm4

We looked at one and the couple did just that whilst they renovated their house.

alpin
    Free Member

tbh, it is my plan once i’m in my fifties…. a full-on thing can be had for around 50,000€. that is a shed-load of rent and bills.

crewlie

It’s rubbish, don’t do it 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/sW1u3M]Import 10[/url] by Mark Berry, on Flickr[url=https://flic.kr/p/yUkggz]Import 10[/url] by Mark Berry, on Flickr[url=https://flic.kr/p/uyGsMH]Post ride[/url] by Mark Berry, on Flickr

garage-dweller

Remember that film Paul?

Well, I don’t have a motorhome and I’ve never managed to pick up a sweary alien while on a road trip.

At least you now have that chance.

mattyfez

They also hold their value a lot better than cars /vans if they are looked after.

ElShalimo

@crewlie – great photos, they perfectly capture motorhome/campervan adventures (even if they are 50miles from home)

uselesshippy
    Free Member

The important question, how many bikes can you fit in it?

Tracey

We can get four in the garage in ours if we take the pedals off and put them in alternate front to back. It was one of the main criteria when getting one.

Trekster

Roller Team 707 since beginning of March, only 2 weekends at home since 😆

grantway
    Free Member

Whats the Depreciation on these?

mattyfez

Depreciation is a lot better than cars, to the point my dad bought a new one with a specific spec as he had some specific requirements.

But that’s assuming you keep it in A1 condition, if you trash it and don’t service it, you’ll see bad residuals.

Trekster

grantway – Member
    Whats the Depreciation on these?

Search some sites, eBay etc and you will see how much you have to pay for something 20yrs old 😐
    Mine was 6mth old, ex hire and fitted with many extras, the extras you would “want”. I “saved” £8k over a new one. Still cost a lot of money but we decided not to build an extension to our house and buy a motorhome instead. Part of the reasoning being that we are nearing retirement and the “beloved” SNP may/are likely to alter/re assess homes for community tax or whatever it will be called, adding an extra room and cost onto our pension may not be a good idea 💡

But that’s assuming you keep it in A1 condition, if you trash it and don’t service it, you’ll see bad residuals.

This…
    We traded a caravan with service history etc. It’s being advertised as in new, immaculate condition which it is/was. We got the price we wanted for it without haggling, maybe could have got more as they offered it unseen except for some pics!

PePPeR

I’ve a Chausson Welcome 25, on a smiley Ford Transit, boy do they hold value, old smiley Transit £1k smiley Transit motor home same age £10k!

gdm4

The one we are getting has bike rack for four on the back and they do seem hold their value pretty well. I guess you don’t buy them for economical reasons though as they’re so bloody expensive, I’m convincing myself it’s an investment in our lifestyle.

Crewlie where are those pictures, particularly the top one, what a place to stay?

crewlie

Top one is Taynuilt jetty, it was as awesome as it looks.
    Second is Pre St Esprit just beneath Arc2000/1950
    Bottom one is campsite at Ravenglass.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My mate’s picking his brand new Roller Team up today & he’s off to Skye next weekend. Git.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

You Sir, have chosen wisely. 😀 my flesh is taking on a green tinge.

epicsteve
    Free Member

We’re onto our 2nd motorhome now – here it is:

Been to all sorts of places with ours – all round Scotland, including the Western Isles, Scandinavia (Norway is great via motorhome) much of western Europe including Italy.

Current one has plenty of room for bikes:

Some pics from the Western Isles trip:

Tracey

Never thought about the resale value of it when we bought ours, bit of an impulse buy, and cheaper than hotels for Abigales racing. We toured the Alps last year for four weeks setting of the week after we bought it. Started in France, then to Verbier and finally down through Italy to Finale via Pila. We then had most weekends away biking.
    Done Gisburn, Glentress and Grizedale in the last month.
    May outings will be Lee Quarry, EWS in Ireland and then the Tweedlove International. Summer will be touring the Alps again with Abigale competing in La Thuile and Les Orres, and then back across for Valburg and Finale EWS.
    May need to up the mileage for the insurance.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’m tempted and for some reason I think they’re cooler than having a caravan but because its also your main form of transport isn’t it a pain having to pack everything away every time you want to drive somewhere? Also you’re stuck driving a van everywhere. At least with a caravan you can leave it on site and use the car. Are there advantages vs a caravan I’m not seeing?

windysurfer
    Free Member

Love mine,spend most weekends away in it

There’s lots of places where you can stop in a van but not a caravan,Aires in Europe for example.

crewlie

^^^this, and when you stop you only get out what you need, so getting going again can be very quick. Had a caravan for many years…wouldn’t go back. (but you do miss having a car sometimes and having a boot to just chuck stuff into)

techsmechs
    Free Member

Yay – motorhomes!

Ours cost us £15k 7 years ago, and I dont think we’ll be that far away getting our money back now…. All over Europe over that time

We had updated from this – Glad we made the change. More of a being part of the scene thing than actual camping performance.

gdm4

Lovin’ everyone’s pictures – reassurance was a long time ago starting to feel inspired now.

sparkerfix

Leogang

ElShalimo

@Tracey – were you on a site near Ingleton a couple of weeks ago?
    We saw a Chausson like yours with bikes there.

Tracey

We were up at Gisburn for the second round of the PMBA a couple of weeks ago. Stayed on the event carpark

sandwicheater

Campervans for the win.

Once life on track we plans to get one.

Hired one for honeymoon and drove around Italy, soooo much fun.

[/url]More campervan by Phillip Dalton, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]Campervan by Phillip Dalton, on Flickr[/img]

Sundayjumper

We hired a huge one in Australia a few years ago and it was great. 6 berth van for two people was very comfortable !

As for buying one here, I think you need to do some realistic calculations of running costs vs. how often you’ll use it. Possibly including parking somewhere, or just allowing for the general hassle of it taking up all your driveway (or maybe just a tiny bit depending on how big your driveway is :wink:). There’s several people on my road who have caravans parked on their drive that only get used once a year. Seems daft having money tied up and incurring maintenance costs for so little actual use.

I think I’d need to spend *all* of my annual leave motorhoming to make it even nearly worthwhile. And that would probably stop you ever going beyond Europe.

(nonetheless, I’m still a bit jealous)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Aarggh just bought a motorhome……..’ is closed to new replies.