• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by TN.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • aagh! Nokia 5800 memory problem…
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

starting last night my phone keeps telling me that C memory is full… Currently there is about 120kb of empty space left. According to the phone 86 megabits are in use. However when i go through all the files in C there is nothing bigger than half a meg, and half the files are empty. If i total up the sizes of all the visible files in there there is less than one meg in use, not 86! I'm deleted the 2 photos which were in there and deleted a few files which i don't know the origin of. Currently in france, with no roming capability, and using the phone exclusively for its wifi internet. All privicy data has been cleared… Any idea what i can do? Cheers…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

its driving me mad!

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    This happened to me-I used to leave mine on all of the time and just keep charhing it up.
    I now swithch it on aqnd off periodically and it doesn't happen anymore.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Steve

TN
    Free Member

I have a similar problem with mine. Like fatgit says, restarting every so often does help but I've never worked out a more elegant solution.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I had this problem but since I reset it, installed an anti-virus and uploaded the latest firmware I've had no problems.

BurnBob
    Free Member

This happened to me.

I deleted all my texts from my inbox(over 1000)

Problem solved.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

thanks! Think i've about 1100 texts… Might start there 🙂

will
    Free Member

Happened to me. I just deleted all my messages as Bob said, all sorted now 🙂

TN
    Free Member

Do you know you can set it up so texts and emails get saved to the external memory instead? (I did that, still having the same prob. Just about to look for a firmware update…)

BurnBob
    Free Member

Yeah I think it was about 1100 I had in the end, that has sorted mine now, surely no need to be keeping it charged up and switching on and off again.

I have no idea how you change where the messages are saved to.

wwaswas

there will be hidden/system files on there as well which can really eat up space.

TN
    Free Member

There are some .txt files in the root of the phone memory that can take up a fair bit of space – I experimented with moving them to the memory card (just in case they were required). The helped for a while but the files soon grew again, so that didn't help long.

I've checked my firmware and I am in fact on the latest version, so there is nowhere to update to.

To change the message save location you need to select Messaging, Options, Settings, Other, Memory in Use – click on that and you should be able to change it to the memory card. Slows it down a fair bit though, when opening recieved messages or writing new ones.
    (mine is a vodafone branded 5800 so my menu settings may be different to yours.)

I will let you know if I ever get to the bottom of it…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘aagh! Nokia 5800 memory problem…’ is closed to new replies.