Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • AAARRGGHH 'cnc'd'
  • mos

CNC’d aluminium. Computer Numerically Controlled aluminium. No such thing. If this were the 90’s then maybe Computer Numerical Control Machined aluminium.
    But as it’s 2017, then is more likely to be CAD/CAM aluminium.
    Rant over.

deadkenny
    Free Member

CNC Machining as a term is as relevant in 2017 as it was in the 90s as it’s describing the machine that does the work. CAD/CAM describes the software to design the component and plan the tooling. In turn produces the program to drive a CNC machine.

CNC’d aluminium is still fine. Apostrophe there is just shortening CNC Machined.

At least it’s not aluminum 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What a pish rant.

oldejeans
    Free Member

do people say ‘milled’?

takisawa2

I believe the correct term is hewn. 🙄

I cut my Engineering teeth setting & programming CNC machines. Hand writing hundreds of lines of code, in Fanuc, Seimens, Heidenhain, UniPro etc. Wasn’t unusual to rig up a hand held floppy disc drive to drip feed long programs in. They have it easy theee days. Take a step file, make a few adjustments & CRUNCH…they’ve milled half the bed away.

dovebiker

Be more impressed these days if someone said they’d done it on a manual mill!

perchypanther
    Free Member

do people say ‘milled’?

The people who made my putter do….

https://www.scottycameron.com/archives/putters/2013/california/monterey-15/

belugabob
    Free Member

I know what you mean…

LED display – correct.
    LCD display – wrong.
    PIN number – wrong.

Northwind

dovebiker – Member

Be more impressed these days if someone said they’d done it on a manual mill!

I’m the shitest machinist in the world but yep, people are still well impressed when you make things by hand (using only an expensive machine). Like my artisan 9/10 speed mech adaptors- literally just a 10x10x6 block with a 5mm hole and a wee slot machined on it, you could do it by hand with a hacksaw and a file but ooooooooooh machined.

I got into small-scale 3d printing using a cheapo chinese printer, and the bit I like is that I can’t do the computer stuff at all- software does all the slicing etc for me, I can’t modify the firmware or really do anything clever with design. But building and improving the thing is easy. Whereas 90s people are all great at the software but find the mechanics terrifying, so they keep designing lovely things then printing them squint or wobbly because they can’t work an allen key and a spirit level

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘AAARRGGHH 'cnc'd'’ is closed to new replies.