Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Aaargh! ' awful website design
  • scotroutes

Does anyone else hate these “infinitely scrolling” web pages that seem to have become all the rage? Following a thread on another post got me to this one

https://opencycle.com/oneplus

I’m honestly perplexed at the idea that some people think they are a good idea.

nickc

website s’ok 🙄 I guess, £2400 for a HT frame is a pisstake though, surely?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

setback seatposts “we’ve never understood those”

**** morons surely.

Bregante

Horrible site. Even if I was considering buying one (I’m not) – I wouldn’t have the patience to arse about on there.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Agreed, they’re poo. I suppose the youngsters will think it’s ok, but they’ll learn.

AlexSimon

These kinds of sites take us back to when people wanted an ‘online brochure’.
    Not my cup of tea either, but I’m sure it met the brief.

Gerard Vroomen is someone who I admine (and follow on twitter)

scaredypants

Well, I’m sure it’s a product manifesto (or some other **** term), which they see as needing to be read in sequence as for a great novel

Can’t say I hate it but a few links to some relevant sections would be nice

In fairness to them, a lot of their decisions on the frames seem reasonable to me

scuzz
    Free Member

It’s great – instead of people only looking at 10% of the website, you’ve force fed them everything!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

It’s great – instead of people only looking at 10% of the website, you’ve force fed them everything!

Or, you read less than 10%, decide it’s rubbish and never return. Lose.

binners

As a designer of both print and web, if I had a quid for every time I’ve said “people just aren’t going to read all that shit, you need to edit it down to a short, clear concise message…”, I’d have £765,864 or thereabouts.

But there’s just no telling some people. This about sums it up….

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qgcX0y1Nzhs[/video]

shermer75
    Free Member

Needs to be more like this

pdw
    Free Member

Annoying, aren’t they? That one is particularly hateful.

nealglover
    Free Member

But there’s just no telling some people. This about sums it up….

Were you going for irony when you posted a 7 minute long video to “sum up” the problem of things that are a bit longwinded ?

binners

Yes. I believe they were too

bensales
    Free Member

It’s not too bad from a usability point of view, certainly I’ve seen worse. But having all the text content below the fold is silly. No indication to the user they need to scroll down at all.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

It’s not too bad from a usability point of view,

I’m a user and it’s poo.

welshfarmer

Just about killed my internet. I only have 2.5 Mbps connection and it couldn’t cope!

CountZero

It does go on a bit, but it’s hardly hateful.
    Nice looking bikes, the fatbike with what looks like a Lefty looks particularly tasty.

Klunk
    Free Member

quite like the bike and the website though I think the choice of 27.2mm seat post is a bit odd considering !

colournoise

Horrible.

As above, a total nightmare on a slow connection (about 1Mbps here).

Might be a tiny bit better on a phone/tablet I guess.

chubstr
    Free Member

One page websites can be very effective…..that is total shit though

mick_r

Undecided about the website – was actually quite a quick way to get a lot of information. Unfortunately one bit of that information was it has a head angle steeper than 72 degrees!……

Bregante

the fatbike with what looks like a Lefty looks particularly tasty

The fact that I didn’t stick around long enough to see that demonstrates my point very well.

Great big bag of arse.

pdw
    Free Member

The thing that makes them bad is the total lack of navigation. Suppose I want to get to the section on “geometry”. How do I even know that there is one without scrolling for miles? Even once I found it once, there’s no easy way to get back to it quickly. What makes this one worse is that the text is interspersed with graphics (which annoyingly scroll at a different speed, but whatever) so you have to scroll even further looking for what you want.

It would be less awful if there was some sort of nav bar that allowed you to navigate around the page but there isn’t. Complete usability fail.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I didn’t mind the site.

I only had to stop reading when I got to “provide lateral stiffness..but vertical compliance”

deadkenny
    Free Member

What happens when you let marketing dictate the web site. They’ve spent ages lovingly designing minimalist marketing material with huge spaces for pictures and short snippets of text per picture. Then go to a web agency and tell them to turn that into a web site.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Aaargh! ' awful website design’ is closed to new replies.