Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Aaagh – broken my Fox Forks
  • Trimix
    Free Member

Ive got a set of 36’s (Talas, old school 26inch ) and the axle thread has threaded. Sadly its not the axle itself, I tried two others, its the thread in the fork leg thats gone.

I really dont want to have to buy new lowers. Any suggestions ?

Anyone got some second hand lowers ?

Im off to sulk now 🙁

frogstomp

Get the thread chased and, if that doesn’t help, get a thread insert put in..

wwaswas

Helicoil is probably your friend as long as there’s a bit of meat around the dropout.

Trimix
    Free Member

The problem is the thread is very very small, its only a few turns. I can have a look at chasing it out a bit, but theres not much to chase.

Its also large diameter, so Im not sure large diameter and three threads width is going to work for a helicoil 🙁

New lowers are about 260 ish.

Its annoying as Im not mechanically unsympathetic – but with three or so threads the design is not brilliant.

Speshpaul

“New lowers are about 260 ish.”

Considering the rate that uppers fail at getting a second pair of lowers for a few quid shouldn’t be a problem

Trimix
    Free Member

TF had some old worn out lowers – but they are old and worn out. Bugger – other than the thread mine are fine. I service them every so often so the uppers are wear free.

I will ring Loco and see what he says.

amedias
    Free Member

helicoil may be difficult due to the pinchbolt setup…

machine a longer axle and put a nut on the end?

toys19
    Free Member

Have emailed you about my lowers which are available.

Trimix
    Free Member

I did think that – but that will cost close to some lowers anyway if its a tidy job.

Loco can do me some lowers for a slightly better price than Mojo, so I may have to rattle the piggy bank a bit.

toys19
    Free Member

mine are Van36’s but the lowers are the same.

Trimix
    Free Member

Cheers Toys19 – but mine are the later model – post 2011, so I think they wont be compatible. Mine have the compression blue nob on top and the red rebound on the bottom.

Well, I think they wont be compatible, but Im no expert.

toys19
    Free Member

i think lowers are the same anyway. Ask loco..

Trimix
    Free Member

OK, i will give him a call. Cheers.

andyl
    Free Member

I wonder if their new axle could work?

Might need to convert your wheel to 15mm but that is easy enough.

If not I would just get a new axle up made or tap a female thread in the end of the current axle and use it as a bolt up. You could get a custom bolt made up that jams on the fork leg so you don’t have to hold it and then put a dab of glue on.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Aaagh – broken my Fox Forks’ is closed to new replies.