• This topic has 29 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by uwe-r.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Aaaargh parking fine!!!!
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

Just got a parking ticket for ‘leaving the site’

I assume like a lot of these private parking ticket things they are on very shacky ground but I have a company car and all the letters will go to my work who won’t take kindly to me ignoring it!

Do I write to them give them my address and then tell them to piss off?

Cougar

Who issued it?

uwe-r
    Free Member

A firm called jas

chrisdw
    Free Member

Get on money saving expert forum. There are loads of threads and guides on what to do.

Had one last month from parking eye. Sent a copy and paste appeal email that i got from the forum. Parking charge got cancelled,

Just check on the forums if there is anything that relates specifically to the issuing company.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Don’t write to them, don’t acknowledge their letters, completely ignore them

nealglover
    Free Member

Most likely all the advice you will get about ignoring it will be redundant anyway.

The ticket will go to your employer and they will pay it and in turn get it from you.

BoardinBob

Wrong.

Unless you’re in Scotland that advice no longer applies. POFA 2012 means you have to act. It’s easy to win via a POPLA appeal but ignoring it is no longer an option and court action is a reality if you do.

MartynS

right,

company car.. you need to appeal right away so they have your name. If you dont the lease company will almost certainly bill you for admin. This in itself is recoverable, but a massive hassle

so appeal the ticket saying something like

Insufficient signage
    Not a genuine pre-estimate of loss
    Didn’t attempt to mitigate loss (if the attendant saw you and pounced after you left)

They will almost certainly not allow your appeal however you should get a code to go to the independent service POPLA

some of the less scrupulous company’s have bailed from POPLA appeals and set up there own “independent” service so you might need to read up on this

Appeal to them mainly using the “its not a genuine pre estimate of loss”
    other points can be included as well, but they generally only find on a single point

There are time limits this has to be done in, for both you and them

pepipoo is quite a good resource for info on this.

good luck

takisawa2

Don’t do this.
    They can & likely will go to court.
    And your employer won’t be best pleased.

I dug in & prepared do battle with Parking Eye, but had to give in.
    The amount of court cases forced a test case earlier this year, & the rsole of a high court judge threw out every argument in defense, such as it being a penalty, no genuine pre estimate of loss etc.
    Parking Eye are using this as a precedent & a sadly lot of local judges are reckoned to be too.
    In the end I just lost my nerve & paid.
    Not proud but the whole thing was just another headache, so I paid.

Do appeal though.
    If you use the arguments above when it goes to POPLA you will likely win by all accounts.

jekkyl

And just to add some balance I had one with parking eye from parking at a super market and I ignored them and they went away. I just ignored them hoping they’d go away and whenever a thread would pop up on here I’d have squeaky bum time and hope it didn’t go to court. They’d write every month without fail, for about 9 months, sometimes they’d reduce the fine by half if I paid within 14 days or some such nonsense. But it’s been over 6 months now and nought from them
    (hoping 6 months is the time it takes to bring these things to court)

MartynS

Hate to say it jekkyl but I think they have up to 6 years to lay a claim at court..

Parking eye are the subject of a high court appeal at the moment. Some courts are staying parking cases untill the result of the appeal is known

Jakester
    Free Member

uwe-r – Member
    Just got a parking ticket for ‘leaving the site

Apologies for being dim, but what does that mean?

You left without paying? ❓

Cougar

Presumably it’s a car park for customers only, and by leaving (on foot) he’s no longer a customer?

Jakester
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Presumably it’s a car park for customers only, and by leaving (on foot) he’s no longer a customer?

Hmm, I always assume that as long as you frequent the actual store at some point, they can’t ping you.

Sounds like a pretty unfair restriction on your personal liberty to me!

ransos
    Free Member

And just to add some balance I had one with parking eye from parking at a super market and I ignored them and they went away.

Same here – this was last year.

Cougar

Hmm, I always assume that as long as you frequent the actual store at some point, they can’t ping you.

Sounds like a pretty unfair restriction on your personal liberty to me!

That was my understanding too, assuming that’s even an enforceable clause in the first place. Doesn’t stop them trying though, most people will pay up regardless.

neilwarne
    Free Member

Just tell them it was your car but you weren’t the driver, if I am correct you are only bound under the Road Traffic Act to tell them who the driver is if the Police or a Traffic Warden issues the fine.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I know you’ll hate me but why not pay?
    You did break the rules. I assume.
    Sorry chaps but we can’t ignore the rules we don’t like surely?

plyphon
    Free Member

yeh this is out of date advice now.

money saving expert is the best for this advice. my Mrs got one recently and had that charges dropped after following the MSE guide. Piece of piss.

takisawa2

Just tell them it was your car but you weren’t the driver, if I am correct you are only bound under the Road Traffic Act to tell them who the driver is if the Police or a Traffic Warden issues the fine

Sadly this is no longer possible either, due to a change in the law a couple of years ago. If the registered keeper doesn’t cough up the details then they can hold the keeper liable.

Old law still applies in Scotland, (IIRC).

One wonders exactly why the law would be changed if it wasn’t purely to protect the income of scum like Parking Eye. They really are the bottom feeders in a cess pool of an industry.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

+1 if you broke the rules then pay up.

crankboy
    Free Member

“One wonders exactly why the law would be changed if it wasn’t purely to protect the income of scum like Parking Eye. “
    One of the companies has strong conections to the conservative party.
    If you broke the rules why not pay up? There are rules about making rules and imposing fines . If they make rules in breach of the rules and impose fines in breach of the rules why pay ?

aracer
    Free Member

Well there’s a shock

Though I’m surprised at you metioning “fines”, crankboy – surely you know this is contract law which does not involve fines.

dashed
    Free Member

There’s a company out there who’ll take on the fine and sort out the paperwork for the appeal for £16. If they lose, they pay the fine. Just used them as couldn’t be arsed with the faff ourselves. Very easy process, think they were recommended on moneysavingexpert or peepio thingy:

Home

uwe-r
    Free Member

Dashed – thanks for the link, looks very interesting.

mattsccm – Member
    Sorry chaps but we can’t ignore the rules we don’t like surely?

It was a free car park but they have introduced a rule where you can’t leave the site for any reason. They must be watching people and as soon as you walk off they stick a ticket on your window, outrageous behaviour on their part, made my piss boil.

Their behaviour is underhand at best and basically corporate bullying – I’m not paying on principle.

richmtb

It was a free car park but they have introduced a rule where you can’t leave the site for any reason. They must be watching people and as soon as you walk off they stick a ticket on your window, outrageous behaviour on their part, made my piss boil.

So a private company thinks they can limit peoples freedom of movement by placing a sign on a wall. Good luck with that.

Also if its a free car park then its very hard for them to claim a loss for someone using it.

I wouldn’t pay either, its complete BS

fourbanger
    Free Member

+1 if you broke the rules then pay up.

mikewsmith and mattsccm, you both broke the rules and owe me £200 each. Pay up.

nealglover
    Free Member

So a private company thinks they can limit peoples freedom of movement by placing a sign on a wall. Good luck with that.

They aren’t trying to limit anyone’s freedom of movement.

They are just saying that the free parking is only applicable in certain situations.

And if you ignore the conditions that would allow you free parking, then there is a charge.

Not that different to lots of other situations where you get something for free if certain conditions are met.

chomp
    Free Member

we had one from a firm in 2012 which we promptly ignored – just had a really badly worded/formatted letter from some solicitors saying that they were still pursuing it

Still ignoring though, as far as I’m concerned we’ve never received any of their letters (as none sent recorded etc) and even then we’ll happily fight it as we were in a joint disabled/parent and child space (and had kids).

(now that I think about it I should really go through the backlog of pictures to find the evidence that we took at the time . . . . . . .)

uwe-r
    Free Member

Bumped as there is coverage of this on the Beeb today.

In the end I chose to completely ignore the ticket and I have heard nothing further of it. After 3 months i must be home and hose’d.

I was looking forward to penning a letter inviting them to board the good ship do one but it didn’t even get to that.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Aaaargh parking fine!!!!’ is closed to new replies.