Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • AAAAGH. Tyre nightmare
  • honourablegeorge

Schwalbe G-Ones on Crest rims. So bloody tight. Fitted them got then inflated, couple of pops, but there’s a section of rim that just refuses to move from the centre of the rim to the bead.

Wrestled the tyre off, re-taped the rim, wrestled it back on, realised I had forgotten to put the valve in, wrestled it off again, valve fitted, back on, inflated, same story. I want to kill something.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Soapy water on the beads ?

honeybadgerx

I had my first Stan’s rim experience last week, Schwalbe racing ralph onto Arch EX. The blood blisters are still working their way out of my nails.

STATO
    Free Member

From schwalbe

Important: Apply assembly liquid to both tire beads before inflating

Its only £3.

Daffy

deflate a little and heat it with a hair dryer, it’ll soften the bead and allow you to move it over. DON’T be tempted to apply more pressure – the tyre WILL explode off the rim and Pringle the wheel.

mccraque

I had my first Stan’s rim experience last week, Schwalbe racing ralph onto Arch EX. The blood blisters are still working their way out of my nails.

Really? Mine goes on easily with fingers. Actually, I have both 26 and 29 rons and ralphs and they fit to 26 Crest and 29 Arch’s with ease. And go up with a track pump.

If they are that tight I would be worried that out on the trail, when something invariably goes wrong in the rain, it could be a very long walk home!

otsdr
    Free Member

DON’T be tempted to apply more pressure – the tyre WILL explode off the rim and Pringle the wheel.

Especially on Crests, which are themselves barely stronger than a Pringle; they have a handy pressure table on them.

D0NK

DON’T be tempted to apply more pressure – the tyre WILL explode off the rim and Pringle the wheel.

My wheel survived (stans alpha rim) but the tyre didn’t, maybe some lasting damage to my ear drums too 🙄

If they are that tight I would be worried that out on the trail,… it could be a very long walk home!

aslong as you can wrestle the tyre onto the rim by hand/normal levers you should be able to get a tube in, might be a wobbly ride home if the tyre isn’t seated properly but it’ll get you there.

If you need huge levers and a helper to get them on then yes I would agree with mccraqque

wwaswas

Once you’ve got it all inflated and set up imagine doing the same thing in a field, at 10 at night, in the rain, with all your mates stood round waiting.

then take the tyres off and try a different brand/model of tyre.

gelert
    Free Member

Had this with a set of new Nics on Flow EX. Rear wouldn’t seat. When it did it leaked sealant and flatted on the first ride. Two holes… and no sealant left after the annoying install (my fault though).

Trick is to put a tube inside for a few hours and leave it at 40PSI. That’ll shape the bead better on a brand new tyre.

Then remove the tube, reinstall valve and try again. A bit of soapy water might help but I didn’t need it after the tube had stretched the bead out a bit.

100% working fine since but I did add extra sealant just to be sure. Great grip so far too. Trail Star SnakeSkin. Impressed.

honourablegeorge

I have bead slip on it, and it’s popping into place about halfway round, but the rest won’t budge, and my wee Aldi compressor can only get it to about 20psi, at which point there’s the same amount of air leaking out as going in and nothign more is happening.

I think I need a bigger compressor for a bit.

honourablegeorge

Just went out and did the rear tyre in about ten minutes. Popped into place, holding air, not even got sealant in it yet. Front still not cooperating.

Start again from the start, I think.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Good Luck!

scotroutes

Try fitting a tube, inflating it to a decent pressure and leaving it overnight. Pop one bead off, remove tube, fit valve and re-inflate.

I had one stubborn tyre that needed this on an Arch EX, whereas I normally manage with a standard trackpump.

honourablegeorge

Yeah – I suspect it was the electrical tape I used. Will get proper tape in the morning

z1ppy

heat it with a hair dryer, it’ll soften the bead and allow you to move it over

I find warming the tyre helps a load, especially if it’s been sat out in a cold garage, dump mine in a bucket of hot water 1st

callmetc
    Free Member

I always put some of the tyre sealant around the bead of the tyre. A generous amount.

Works every time for me, nice even bead seat.

Lester
    Free Member

after you have pumped it up with a tube and popped it and taken off one side ( preferably the non rotor side) and taken the tube out.
    lay it non rotor side down after you have put the tyre back on the rim, so the weight of the tyre hangs towards the rim ( i rest it on a small waste bin) then pump it up like that.
    if it doesnt go up, try putting something like a belt ( if you are like me chunky lol) around the circumference and tighten it a little so all the tyre is pushed towards the rim.
    if you do get it up and you have the stans in, but it leaks in various places, blow it up more than you need to and leave over night, leave it upside down and spin the wheel every now and again.
    hope this helps, if it doesnt take it to contour cycles who always manage to tubeless every thing they attempt 🙂

honourablegeorge

TAKE THAT YOU LITTLE RUBBER B&&*$!*#*

Retaped with Gorilla tape, went back on much more easily, and popped into place at 45psi after a little valve twiddle.

Both holding air now, just need to put fluid into them later. Will sit down to diner in a far better mental srate than earlier.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘AAAAGH. Tyre nightmare’ is closed to new replies.