Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • aaaaaaaaaargh fitting elixir 1 pads
  • scotabroad

I am no mechanical numpty put trying to get new pads into my elxir 1 brakes is proving to be a nightmare. just doesnt seem to be enough room twixt rotor and caliper? I am retiscent to letting some fluid out to see if I can get the pistons back more as the bleed screw isnt what im used to on shimanos.

heeeelllpp please.

nuke

I am retiscent to letting some fluid out to see if I can get the pistons back more

I’m guessing elixir 1 don’t have pad adjust so this sounds what i would do. This is unless you have the avid syringe as what i tended to do on my juicy 5 was put a small amount of dot fluid in the syringe, connect to caliper, get the pads fitted with syringe attached then, when all finished, remove syringe taking care not to get dot fluid on new pads/disc

scotabroad

looking at prices of the brakes and bundles on chainreaction im tempted to bin them. Which sounds extreme but they are a real pain. There is no bleed nipple at all just a grub screw so im not sure how you bleed them and get fluid back in??

Marko

I always have to open the bleed/filler screw on Avids.

Make sure the master cylinder is level and remove the screw. Push the pads back and refit the screw.

Fit pads.

Ride bike.

Marko

nuke

There is no bleed nipple at all just a grub screw

Grub screw is the bleed point

scotabroad

ok, will give it a go, once a cup of tea drunk……..

JoeG
    Free Member

If you have the proper amount of brake fluid in the system, all that you shuld have to do is:

– remove wheel
    – push pistons back into caliper
    – remove cotter pin & old pads
    – install new pads & cotter pin

If brake fluid was added once the pads were partially worn, there may be too much fluid in the system so the pistons can’t be pushed in far enough to fit the new pads. If this is the case, just let a bit of fluid out, preferrably from the master cylinder.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Same issues with my mates 3’s last night. They were fitted from new, so no extra fluid fitted, by anyone. I pushed the pistons back, he undid the torx and bled. Told him to use them then think about replacing them as they are a bit crap when they get a bit older. Not worth fixing when Deores are so cheap including 2 sets of pads .

scotabroad

JoeG

Yep I would have agreed with that and normally have done that in past with Shimanos. First set of avids and although I got these secondhand they were unused. Took pads down to metal, tried fitting genuine avid pads and they absolutley would not go in.

Just bled a tichy amount of fluid out of rear and they fitted perfectly with nice lever action.

Front caliper however is different story, bled little fluid out and waxy substance came out. Bled them through properly and more waxy gunk came out so not sure what that is?? anyway fully beld now and not functional at all. gooshed me thinks.

taxi25
    Free Member

My mate had exactly the same problem. He ordered a set of Deore’s from Ribble this morning, £71.95 I think.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘aaaaaaaaaargh fitting elixir 1 pads’ is closed to new replies.