Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • AAAAAAAAAAH Long ride tomorrow and no energy drink!
  • GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Right – what can i do to make up a drink that will keep me hydrated and give me some energy to boot?
    Riding early – 6am for 6hrs. Got some protein powder, fresh orange juice, salt, honey, anything i cam do with that lot?

bassspine
    Free Member

chuck it all in, sounds right

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

lol – i need a "recipe"

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Orange juice 50/50 with water, add a little salt.

br
    Free Member

Go via a shop?

Even Tesco's sell them, and nobody lives far from one!

sailor74
    Free Member

forget energy drinks, just fill your camelbak with Vimto.

qwerty
    Free Member

a sachet of dioralyte per litre of water & jaffa cakes

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What king tut says – or 1/3 juice to 2/3 water then you can add some honey as well. Keep it on the side of hypotonic

I use apple juice as it makes a better drink IMO than orange – less acidic

jockhaggis
    Free Member

What about some solid food. Search the cupboards. Dried fruit, nuts, cereal, honey sandwich?

Mix fresh OJ with water, 60/40 and add a bit of salt.

A Snickers from the local garage is always a good backup.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Premium craic has gotta be SIS Go>>>> it never fails to clear my 3 hour cramp!

Kevevs
    Free Member

flapjack.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

kevevs – htf do you drink flapjack??

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

kevevs – htf do you drink flapjack??

it's simple – common people do it all the time – drink squash (or water) and eat food occasionally 🙂

dazh

The trouble with OJ+Water+Salt is it tastes like shit and is undrinkable. Especially when it gets a bit warm. But if it's all you've got then you'll have to make do I guess.

No chance you can stop by a 24 hour garage and get some lucozade sport?

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

flapjack will not help with hydration though will it 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

hydration = water
    energy = food

yunki
    Free Member

it's simple – common people do it all the time – drink squash (or water) and eat food occasionally

+1

oldgit
    Free Member

Just pretend it's 1975 and drink water and have a bit of food.
    Up to five hours a bottle of water and a bar or two.
    Five hours plus bottle of water and a bar or two plus a nunn tablet and a £1 for a bottle of water at the shop.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I've just been making orange squash with about 50g of sugar per 2l, just about bearable on the sweetness front, and a good 200cals to keep the reserves topped up.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Dilutey Orange juice mixed normally then 3 teaspoons of sugar and a pinch of salt per litre. Worked for me when the SiS has run out, can't really tell any difference.

uplink
    Free Member

Morrisons sell Lucozade gels
    a handful of them & a couple of bottles of water should see you OK

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Observation from this morning….

ride with your mouth open and chew every 30 seconds! What is it with insects and my face? Great protein, although the after taste ain't that hot.

Still, all part and parcel of the magic weather! 8)

trail_rat
    Free Member

yup loads of water so you dehydrate your self with dilution of salts – been there done that – my mate made the same mistake last weekend ended up on a drip at the hospital over night

DWH
    Free Member

**** me.

This thread is crying out for a dose of MTFU.

And what sort of idiot wastes a hospital bed because they can't drink properly? That is truly embarrassing.

judderman
    Free Member

DWH + 1

trail_rat
    Free Member

he drank 10 litres of water – thats 1 litre an hour for the ride he was doin

colapsed at the end.

hardly his fault if you ask me ….

the year before i drank 24 litres over the 10 hrs in 28 degrees and cramped up badly alot and was peeing pure cresote – major pain for the next few days as i rehydrated on salty sugary squash

oliverd1981
    Free Member

1 bottle of lucozade sport or tesco equivalent in a 3l camelbak topped up with water does the job for me. The orange ones stain your resevoir so go for backcurrant or lemon.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘AAAAAAAAAAH Long ride tomorrow and no energy drink!’ is closed to new replies.