Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH! *blood boiling content*
  • toxicsoks
    Free Member
    foxyrider
    Free Member

Same old Same old. Don't let it get to you. A minority can spoil it for the many as usual. I'm just as polite and as curtious as possible when I ride thats all I can do! 🙂 (with a halo 😉 )

nbt

I can picture the scene at Daily Mail HQ now…

"those buggers over at *insert another paper's name here* got a lot of business last week with that article attacking cyclists"

"hmmm, if they ride bikes they must be too poor to afford a car. Get someone to write an article about, oh I dunno, how immigrant cyclists are destroying our families are something. THat should increase our readership"

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    foxyrider
    Free Member

LOL @ nbt. Just because its in a paper doesn't make it gospell or factually correct 🙂

dmiller
    Free Member

Thats a superb picture:

Looks really cool – I would be well chuffed if I was the dude in that picture!

As for this:

New laws which lay the blame for accidents with cyclists with motorists could lead to them taking more risks on the roads

That tag line is clearly written by a moron – this will make me want to get run over…

However the rest of the article is not that bad actually pretty awful on a second read – however some of the major moans are:
    – Cyclist on the pavement
    – Cyclist jumping red lights
    – Cyclists at night with no lights
    – Drunk cyclists (is this is a big issue in london?)

This is the perception that some cyclists give (in the same way that I hate taxi drivers and I am sure that 99% of are not murdering fools) and we will get the back lash for it.

The only way to fix this is if cyclists stop jumping reds etc and create a impression of good behavior.

But yeah – this guy is a ****… 🙂

glenp
    Free Member

Typical shambolic writing, yet again. Completely misrepresented the proposed law change and wheeled out some tired old bigotted anti cycling bullsh!t at the same time.

Pook

Captain Flasheart has no idea what to do about this one

glenp
    Free Member

For a start the writer misses that if cyclists rights on the road were better enforced we may well get fewer idiots riding on the pavements.

brooess
    Free Member

Anyone else think this is their attempt at revenge following the James Martin backlash?

BigDummy
    Free Member

He's simply wrong about the liability proposals. He either doesn't understand them or is deliberately misrepresenting them to inflame the passions of his readers, either is pretty poor. Although it is the Daily Mail.

I'm pretty sympathetic to the rest of it. Red light jumping and riding on the pavement is often anti-social and invariably annoys someone. Who may well write about it in a major national newspaper magazine dedicated to achieving a nationwide simultaneous orgasm of outrage by 2010. 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

It wasn't always a problem.
    However, act like a **** and you'll get treated like a ****. And motorists did act like ****s towards cyclists.
    So it's their fault!

richc
    Free Member

I found the filtering comment useful. I will use that next time I get some abuse, rather than ask the **** to step out of the car and repeat what he just said.

http://www.citycycling.co.uk/issue44/issue44page41.html

bigsi
    Free Member

Now I am certainly not antibicycle.

Really ? you would never have guessed it from the article,,, in fact i thought for a minute that TellytubbyMartin had been let lose in the national press again 🙄

Typical Daily Mail feeble reporting from a "lets insite hatered to sell our rag of a paper" angle 🙄

crazy-legs

That's a really old picture – looks like an ancient S-Works, it's got the Rockshox Mag 21's on it. Couldn't even be bothered to get a recent pic!

guido

I love the daily mails comments- esp the red down arrow, green up business.
    im having fun

BigDummy
    Free Member

OUR TOP 10 BREAKING VIEWS

LITTLEJOHN: Saint Vinny is simply another two-bob politician on the make
    HARRY PHIBBS: Who is career politician Peter Mandelson to call George Osbourne inexperienced?
    SPECIAL REPORT: Lazy, illiterate teachers, cynical heads who have given up, and pupils who treat them with contempt. A horrifying portrait of the schools failing young boys
    ROBERT HARDMAN: Lycra louts drive me crazy!
    QUENTIN LETTS: Vince Cable might be popular but he's no igniter of the mob
    DOMINIC LAWSON: Wonderful? Alan Clark was sleazy, vindictive, greedy and cruel to his wife
    ROGER MOORE: I won't speak to anyone (even my friends) if they eat foie gras
    HARRY PHIBBS: Students should take responsibility for their own education and not expect the state to pay
    STEPHEN GLOVER: Mandelson, Blair and a sordid little ploy to deny British voters a choice on the European superstate
    PETER MCKAY: A parable of modern barbarity

How do its readers ever find peace? 😯

Horrible publication. 🙂

Keva
    Free Member

since that article is from a daily 'snewspaper' I can't be bothered to read it.

CountZero

Oddly enough, there's no mention of this on Cycling England's 'site…

amodicumofgnar

Britain just seems to have a shocking attitude towards cyclists on the road. WARNING – more when I cycled to the Jungfrau Waffle upcoming.

Getting across the UK was quite un nerving – I'd swear some low slung sports car drivers try and go under your bar ends. Rather than wait for you to get through a gap drivers tended to just race to squeeze through which they did but often only an inch or two from my bars. Verbal abuse from a driver – every day at some point.

France – drivers seemed happier risking a head on with on coming traffic than not give you enough space. The only person who cut us up and even then it might have been my fault imediately got blue flashing light treatment from a police car that happened to be in the area.

Switzerland – they come a bit close at some times but the closest call we had was with an F16 taking off. Not sure they'd put a cycle way across the end of a military airbase runway in this country.

Never quite understand the Mail and its insistance things will never work 'that way' even though they seem to do so quite well in other countries.

tinribz
    Free Member

The wholly predictable consequence of such a law is that some cyclists will take even more risks with the traffic in the knowledge that the law is on their side regardless.

Hmmm that makes sense. Of course there is no law, not even one being considered. This is a non story about a made up story and just blatant baiting. Can't say I've read more than half a dozen daily mails in my life but I never realised they'd sunk as low as this.

Just a Monday filler that might generate some links. What have they to lose, their reputation?

RealMan
    Free Member

Why cant we just have a civil war and settle this matter once and for all.

fontmoss
    Free Member

ill never forget a comedian on "have i got news for you" who said the daily mail ideal headline would read something like: gay illegal immigrants are drinking all the water from our reservoirs thereby causing the hosepipe ban

tbh i avoid it because there is so much 'reporting' of this nature in it (my folks read it for years my brother and i loathe it)

chakaping
    Free Member

You have to jump through a few hoops to leave a comment on there, but I managed it in the end…

No cyclist serious enough to wear lycra would be seen dead riding on the pavement.

The whole tone of this article is at best smart-alecky and attention seeking, at worst bigoted and incendiary.

I could go on (and on and on), but I think the author sums it up best himself – if you imagine that he's talking about Daily Mail readers…

"We know what happens when people are taught that they are always victims, that everything is someone else's fault. They cease to have any grasp on reality."

Smee
    Free Member

Daily Mail? If so, i'm going to save a few minutes of my time by not reading a whole heap of poorly written steaming bullshit.

grumm
    Free Member

Haha – nice!

fingerbike
    Free Member

Daily Fail, what a surprise…

More to the point are those Rock Shox Mag 21 in that pic?!

rOcKeTdOg

Mag 21s? old M3/4 stumpy?

sherry
    Free Member

Lets face it, Britain is anti cycling and has some of the worst attitudes in the world towards it. Maybe if some drivers tried cycling they would have different opinion of cyclists. Lets all die of heart disease, strokes ect. so we can sit in our cars on our fat arses and moan how a cyclist ruined our day. And I do agree that SOME cyclists should be more responsible/careful. The article is irresponsible, cycling should be promoted more in the UK to encourage people to do it, not just negativity towards it.

pennine
    Free Member

{{{peeps out from behind curtains}}}

A major customer of ours is the DM 😳

Wouldn't worry too much, only 2.2m will have bought the paper this morning 😉 And I know quite a few DM employees who cycle.

{{{quickly shuts curtain again}}}

Susie
    Free Member

He's simply wrong about the liability proposals. He either doesn't understand them or is deliberately misrepresenting them to inflame the passions of his readers, either is pretty poor. Although it is the Daily Mail.

What are the proposals? I've done a google search and everything I find is just quoting the Daily Mail.

aracer
    Free Member

Is it just me who thinks he has a point? I might not agree with all of what
    he says, but I'm quite prepared to believe a lot of the points where he complains about cyclists doing dodgy stuff, from what I've seen, and even what I read on here. He might be misinformed about the proposed change in the law, but I'd suggest even this is probably down to some of the publicity about it. Meanwhile he finishes off with some quite reasonable points.

Is it you lot reading it as being hugely anti-cyclist because that's what your expecting, or is it just me not being cynical enough?

legend76
    Free Member

talks alot of truth that reporter imo !!!!!!!!!!!!

chakaping
    Free Member

I see a lot of people in cars driving like knobs, but I don't tar them all with the same brush.

That's what's wrong with the piece.

zokes
    Free Member

TBH – for a Daily Fail article, it's not too far from the point. Scary…

legend76
    Free Member

expect the worst and you won't be suprised thats my motto….whilst driving!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH! *blood boiling content*’ is closed to new replies.