Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • AA home contents bike insurance
  • evh22
    Free Member

There have been a few threads about insuring bikes on AA home and contents insurance with varying bits of advice being offered. So, I thought I’d do some detective work and find out exactly what they are offering. Make of it what you will.

I have added my bikes on as extras for home and away from home. Here are the direct quotes from emails, and I then called them. Unfortunately they pointed me to the policy document to clarify this which isn’t exactly clear.

Firstly I asked them whether my bike was covered if I left it in a Asgaurd bike shed (unlocked inside but locked outside) on my property (not in my house). The answer I got is…

“I confirm as long as the bike is locked in a building the bikes will be covered.”

So not much good there. Still unsure. I emailed before I bought it and got an alterative version of events which I will try to did out and post.

I then asked them what happens if I leave them in my car which is where I think they are safest when you are away on holiday:

“If the bikes are locked in a car in the boot out of site the maximum cover in the car is £1,000. If the bike is visible inside of the car on the back seat then unfortunately there will be no cover.”

“When the bikes are attached to a roof rack or the back of the car by a security device the full value of the bicycles will be paid in the event of a theft claim.”

So, it seems if you leave them with a crappy cable lock to a fence they are covered in full, or if you leave them on a locked rack them are covered but I called them up and confirmed that if you lock them to the car from inside they are not covered.

I asked them about flying:

“Whilst flying abroad with the bikes, once they are out of your control you should check with the airlines that they will cover them or check with your travel insurance to see if they will classed as part of your luggage.”

“Please be aware pedal cycles are not covered whilst in use.”

I asked them what they pay out if your bikes are stolen:

“The cover for pedal cycles is on a new for old basis, we do not deduct anything for wear and tear.”

Any comments from the floor? Have I been an idiot trusting this insurer? … dashes home quick to guard my beloved bikes….

longj
    Free Member

Can’t see what the problem is to be honest. Put in the shed abd Lock the shed , put outside the car and lock to the car. Just do whatever it is they want you to do in order for it to be covered.

evh22
    Free Member

Surely it would be safer locked to the INSIDE of the car?

nickjb
    Free Member

Does seem an odd arrangement. Lock them to the roof and they will get stolen but they are covered. Lock then in the boot they are unlikely to be stolen but arent fully covered.

longj
    Free Member

Your insurer thinks otherwise. Who cares? They’re covered.

njee20
    Free Member

You think the safest place for your bikes is inside your car? What?

nickjb
    Free Member

You think the safest place for your bikes is inside your car? What?

Yes. The alternative is outside the car. Where do you keep yours when taking the bike with the car? Is there a 3rd option I’m missing?

nickjb
    Free Member

Your insurer thinks otherwise. Who cares? They’re covered

Yeah, but if you go to afan for the weekend what do you do? Leave them outside, they get nicked but you can get a new bike when you get home or lock them inside and hopefully get a full weekend of riding.

burt
    Free Member

I had my bikes covered with AA contents. i was very happy with the cover at home and away.i did a fair bit investigation into their terms and it all seemed fair. Unfortunatly the renewal was 60% increase so not with them this year, gone with aviva with almost the same cover on the bikes.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes. The alternative is outside the car. Where do you keep yours when taking the bike with the car? Is there a 3rd option I’m missing?

Aah, I thought you meant rather than leaving them in your Asguard store, as in while you went away, not taking the bikes with you! As you were.

egb81
    Free Member

I went with AA and the small print re. bikes is pretty decent as far as I’m concerned. New for old and only listing any items over £1500 (I think). The cost for home contents and buildings insurance was half that of the renewal quote from Nationwide and with infinitely better cover.

sgn23
    Free Member

I claimed for 3 bikes nicked from my shed with AA and all went smoothly. The policy is underwritten by AXA, so they dealt with all the claim. I was passed off to Wheelies to value the bikes, who were a bit tight on the like-for-like brand matches, but by me escalating back to AXA I got a fair cash payout.

Kryton57

My own investigations was pretty much word for word as the op’s. I am extra comforted by sgn23’s post. Btw yesterday I added a third bike valued at £2k for a £2 increase. 🙂

longj
    Free Member

lock them inside and hopefully get a full weekend of riding.

Not sure why you think a car can’t be broken into.

skids
    Free Member

my bike got nicked last week from town centre, insured with AA, they paid out same day into bank account. Could have gone through wheelies but the guy was up for settling claim ASAP

nickjb
    Free Member

Not sure why you think a car can’t be broken into.

I don’t. I just think it’s a better option than getting them stolen then claiming on the insurance every time you go away for a weekend (which is likely if you leave them on the roof)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘AA home contents bike insurance’ is closed to new replies.