Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • AA front lights (moon + stick content)
  • UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I’m after, in my view, the perfect front light. Requirements…

1. Run off AA’s
    2. Flash mode that doesn’t go off, but alternates between low and high.
    3. Flash mode that isn’t so bright it blinds people.
    4. Enough max brightness for the odd bit of off roading, not after flood lights, but something that can hold its own on an unlit tow path and maybe the occasional bit of single track.

The ones that spring to mind are the hope vision 1, and the dinotte’s range. I’ve got a Dinotte 200L, which has just failed after years and years of solid service. Its going back to be fixed up, but will be away for long enough to warrant buying something else. The 200L, is almost spot on in every respect, and I’m tempted buy the XML-1 (its updated brother).

Anything else out there I should consider?

ton

hope 1 led thing. i useone and i does all you ask.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Dinotte is what you want, I must admit to not using mine for a year though since I indulged in the Lumin arms race

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve got two Vision 1s, use one on road and two off it. All good.
    Not bright enough for racing really but I’ve managed with them.
    Not sure what you mean by point 2 though? Do you mean dim/bright/dim/bright rather than on/off/on/off? If so, they don’t do that.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Yea, just to clarify point 2. I’m after dim/bright/dim etc rather than off/on/off. Read somewhere that its much easier for others to see you and track you with this set up.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Some of the fenix torches are running aa’s they are great quality and the 2 battery one is ok for some steady off roading.

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

I would say vision 1 to, although I’m not sure of any lights that offer the exact bright dim flashing mode you require :-/

http://www.evomtb.co.uk/hope-vision-1-led-front-bike-light-240-lumens-gunsmoke
    Not a bad price I don’t think!

nealglover
    Free Member

£60 delivered for Hope Vision 1 from Tredz_Bikes on eBay.

trail_rat
    Free Member

They fixed the bracket on vision 1 yet . Were terrible for snapping – got so many returns with failed brackets.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Yea, just to clarify point 2. I’m after dim/bright/dim etc rather than off/on/off. Read somewhere that its much easier for others to see you and track you with this set up.

It’s how USE exposure lights work. Excellent in half light and much better when it’s dark (though I still run non flashing when it’s dark.).

I’m surprised no one else has done it. The exposure base setting must be lower than their low because they claim massive run times in flash mode.

tomaso
    Free Member

I think the Cree Aldi torch will do that but with AAA batteries for £12 plus a cheap generic bar mount for torches £4.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘AA front lights (moon + stick content)’ is closed to new replies.