Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • A591 in Cumbria – (Grasmere > Keswick) to re-open 13th May
  • jekkyl

Hooray.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-35991072?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_cumbria&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=english_regions

Good news for me as I’ve just booked a holiday near ambleside and it would have a taken a lot longer to get up to Keswick.

A three-mile (4.8km) section of the A591 was closed in December because of flooding between Dunmail Raise, north of Grasmere, and Thirlmere.

Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin announced it will reopen on 13 May rather than at the end of the month.

He said it was “great news” for Cumbria’s economy.

Mr McLoughlin visited the county to see how repairs to the A591 and the storm-damaged Pooley Bridge and Eamont Bridge had progressed.

Tim Farron, Liberal Democrat leader and MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale, said the local economy was losing up to £1m each day the route remained closed.

“I have long been pressing for this to happen. It is local businesses that are bearing the brunt,” he added

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Great stuff.

The likes of The Kings head must’ve taken a real hit due to this.

footflaps

Yep, we drove down the A591 between Ambleside and Keswick the other week – utterly deserted! Never seen it so quiet we could have had a picnic in the road.

ElShalimo

It’s good news but it was supposed to be open for Easter. Locals are losing money, jobs, etc.
    100 Tory voters get a damp in Somerset levels and it’s a national tragedy; the main N-S arterial road in Cumbria gets damaged and the Govt don’t give flying XXXX ….disgraceful

biglee1

Excellent, just in time for the half term hols as well. Well done to everyone who was involved and hopefully they`ll keep the emergency road open as a path/ cycleway 😀

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I imagine it has been quite a feat of engineering, as I understood it the whole hillside moved in the area of the road collapse.

Hopefully we’ll get a decent TV documentary covering the design and engineering of the repair

footflaps

100 Tory voters get a damp in Somerset levels and it’s a national tragedy; the main N-S arterial road in Cumbria gets damaged and the Govt don’t give flying XXXX ….disgraceful

Well they’ve done more work in Cumbria than Somerset in terms of fixing damage, which is down to the LA rather than central government anyhow.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Yes of course nothing like this ever happens in somerset

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-21538798

slowoldman

It’s good news but it was supposed to be open for Easter

Who said that? I thought it was scheduled for end of May. I’m amazed they’ve managed to repair it as quickly as they have given the damage caused and the poor ground.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Such good news as a few of us are doing Keswick and Grasmere on the 14-15 May

yorkycsl
    Free Member

The Armed forces bridge engineering chaps offered to assist in the early days & reckoned they could have the road open in 12 weeks but local authorities & namely Cumbria water said Oh no first we need to have lots of useless meetings, oh and seeing as you don’t know what your doing, you the army may just pollute the water & subsequent lakes, how disrespectful & short sighted can you get.
    The local businesses have already suffered enough as it is without the authorities making it even worse, ever thought oh maybe we could work in conjunction with the Armed forces that might work.

jekkyl

they even beat their own prediction, good work, will re-open Tuesday 11th at 8.30am
    http://www.itv.com/news/border/2016-05-10/a591-to-re-open-tomorrow/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘A591 in Cumbria – (Grasmere > Keswick) to re-open 13th May’ is closed to new replies.