Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • A4 vs A6
  • samuri
    Free Member

Am I missing something here?

I’ve been looking at A4’s. Stuff like this.
    http://www.mcwilliamscarsales.com/used-cars/audi-a4-2-0-tdi-tdv-s-line-4dr-craigavon-201405174282624

Then I look at A6’s, same price, generally.
    http://www.thecarpeople.co.uk/find-a-car/car-details/audi-a6-sheffield-237525.htm

Is there any reason why A6’s wouldn’t be more expensive than A4’s? Spec-wise they seem a lot better usually. I’d have expected them to be more but as I say, perhaps I’m missing something.

molgrips
    Free Member

IME a lot of people are put off big cars for a variety of reasons – they think they are hard to park, uneconomical or they look like repmobiles. Image is important, perhaps A6s are seen as old people’s cars or something.

When I last shopped Passats were cheaper than Golfs.

Personally I’d like one 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

Without seeing the interiors on those ones you listed you will probably find the A4 has the low down double din style stereo but the A6 has the high mounted screen which was then brought in on the A4 that came after that.

As above, if you can live with the larger size, maybe less youthful image and the lower MPG then go for the A6. Will have all the toys a model before the lower range car.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

Depends whether you prefer Carlisle or Bristol

Jamie
    Free Member

Is there any reason why A6’s wouldn’t be more expensive than A4’s?

Well, for a start, A4 is bigger than A6.

johndoh
    Free Member

Ahh, I see. 297 x 210 vs 148 x 105…

plyphon
    Free Member

When I last shopped Passats were cheaper than Golfs.

Probably because every time you step into a Passat your soul dies a little inside and your trousers get that little bit more beige.

andyl
    Free Member

parts (esp tyres) are generally more expensive on bigger cars too which can hurt the residuals along with image.

bradley
    Free Member

Still a lot of money for 2 cars with not much going for them. Scene tax I guess.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

If you’re looking at that actual A6 to buy, it’s got a tow bar fitted and it’s manual which at a guess has been a tow car for some massive caravan … Avoid

chewkw
    Free Member

^^^ I would go for A6 but without being used as tow car before. :mrgreen:

Just like Skoda I would go for Superb rather than Octavia.

I like big car me and then turn it into Yakuza style car.

Oh ya it got to be automatic gear so I can cruise around …

😆

tinybits
    Free Member

You’re also comparing a hard to shift SE spec A6, not much wrong with it, but not popular (I bought one for the kiddy wagon)

Drac

S Line is a lot better spec and much more popular so hold their price better.

PePPeR

But S line cars have sweet FA in them. The SE cars have way more kit and a nicer ride in my opinion.

We constantly taken the piss put of my colleagues S line A5, as it’s all style over substance.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“If you’re looking at that actual A6 to buy, it’s got a tow bar fitted and it’s manual which at a guess has been a tow car for some massive caravan … Avoid”

Bit of a wild assumption to make……might have been an stw member who used it for nothing more than a little old rack on sundays.

Writing off a car because it may or may not have been used as a tow car is mental. If its been heavily abused as a tow car youll know when you test it if you have half an idea. Fwiw my landy towed 3 tonnes most of its life, engine is a little smokey at 150k

How eveer i wouldnt buy an a4 nor an a6 or a passat or another golf. Id begoing to the beemer garage, or possibly a merc.

angeldust
    Free Member

But S line cars have sweet FA in them. The SE cars have way more kit and a nicer ride in my opinion.

Check the specs. What does the SE standard spec include over S line? Answer: Nothing. Right about the ride though.

taffy
    Free Member

Larger executive saloons tend to depreciate faster (classic example bmw 3 series vs 7series fully loaded 5-8 year old 7’s can be had for relative peanuts) more youtfull image and lower running costs give them a stronger demand. However… the A6 is not without merit, more rear space and boot bigger spec (comparativethe a6above has sat av and a few more toys and is a nice handing and confy car.

sure it’ll cost more to run as yiur asking the same engine to lug round a bit more weight etc but vag diesels are good (unless you want them chipped and it goes pop -possibly) fuel and servicing costs are the only negative (image maybe?) I got the previous generation a6avant (petrol auto) at 60k mikes and have aded another 45k in 5 years the only big cost being tming belts (v6 :/) .

Id get another -2.7 v6 tdi for sure as the petrols are thirsty and do consume a fair bit of oil (normal) were only selling our as the oh can no longer drive.

tinybits
    Free Member

PePPeR – Member
    We constantly taken the piss put of my colleagues S line A5, as it’s all style over substance.

Yep, without a doubt. an A6 only adds bucket seats and harder suspension and possibly bigger wheels. That’s not a lot to a car that’d never be considered sport like in any way! The smaller Audis tend to get a bit more as you go up the specs though.
    It all boils down to demand, more people want an A4.

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve just changed from an A6 2.7 tdi se manual. It was a brilliant car for long motorway trips. I got over 42mpg on a run and in 7 years, the only non routine item was an air intake valve @ £400.

That was my second and I’d have another in a heartbeat. The estate might be better for a biker but the saloon boot is cavernous. Oh and my first one was an SE Sport with lowered/stiffened suspension that just ruined the ride. Go for the standard suspension, there’s no point pretending it’s a sporty car and knackering the ride.

peterfile
    Free Member

Ignore me

jambalaya
    Free Member

I had an A6 2.7 TDI Quattro Avant for 7 years, great car, fabulous on a long trip, excellent grip in the snow, economical and pretty quick.

As for the comparison vs A4 price wise that’s exactly what I found when I priced up the A4 vs A6 comparison when buying. The A6 had a much better base spec (SE model) and if you put the same kit on an A4 it was actually more expensive. As @molgrips in response the mid range cars are more popular and actually more expensive as people shy away from the larger models. The only downside with the A6 is it was bit of a handful in a multi-story car park, it’s quite long. Try and get parking sensors front and rear.

OP I note the car you linked to is a saloon 2l diesel, I would suspect that’s not a popular model, small engine and not an estate. That’s probably part of the reason re: pricing.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Also, be aware that on ageing diesels some expensive items can be prone to fail such as the DMF, which is very common on Audi’s.

Will dent your petrol/diesels savings for many years!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Rockape63 – understood, we have pretty much nothing except regular servicing in 120,000 miles and 7 years. We found an excellent independent, I don’t have much good to say about the local main dealer.

molgrips
    Free Member

Define ‘very common’.

samuri
    Free Member

Thanks all. Don’t get too hung up on those two particular examples, the trending for price is something I’ve seen across a lot of cars, not just those two. I reckon the correct answer is as above, more people want an A4.
    I’m quite happy with a diesel, after ten years of owning two diesels (one of them an Audi), I’d never go back to petrol.

I have looked at BMW’s, comparitively poor spec in the 3 series, nicer in the 5 series but they hold their price well.

And as always for me, whatever car I get will only really get used for long trips. I cycle to work for the most part and do most of my shopping and short trips by bike.

Northwind

Rockape63 – Member

Also, be aware that on ageing diesels some expensive items can be prone to fail such as the DMF, which is very common on Audi’s.

But then diesel vs big petrol saves me so much on tax and fuel that I could afford to replace the DMF about once a year and I’d still come out ahead.

samuri
    Free Member

Anyway, to resurrect this briefly, after various discussions, a test drive and a bit of research. I’ve changed my mind completely and am going for a 520d. I test drove an M sport SE which I appreciate is a bit different than the norm but it was very nice to drive indeed, plenty of poke, looked great and was very comfy. Looking between 8 and 9k, not really worth spending more on it. Should be able to get one with about 60k on the clock if I’m sensible.

chewkw
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    I’ve changed my mind completely and am going for a 520d

Good choice too. 5 series is very comfortable.

I cannot remember now if BMW and Toyota got some sort of arrangement for their diesel engines or their hybrid …

How’s the maintenance cost like by comparison to JapLand cars?

🙂

samuri
    Free Member

It’ll be appallingly expensive to maintain compared to my Honda. 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

samuri – Member

It’ll be appallingly expensive to maintain compared to my Honda.

Yes, I guess that is not a surprise because it has a reputation to maintain. Amongst the European car brands I prefer Skoda for being utilitarian.

Well, as far as I know Honda and Subaru are the more expensive JapLand cars to maintain by comparison to other JapLand cars.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I would think performance wise a 520d and an M-sport petrol would be chalk and cheese. Suggest you drive the 520 before finalising.

samuri
    Free Member

It was a 520d M-sport…I think, you’ve got me doubting myself now. 😉 Anyway, noted. I’ll certainly make sure I drive a couple of 520d SE’s which is what I’ll be going for.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Got it (not sure I see the point of a sports model in a 5 series with a 2l diesel). My 2 cents will be the BMW will be more fun to drive, equally good on motorway, not as well built (my personal opinion), much worse on snow/ice.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘A4 vs A6’ is closed to new replies.