Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • A30 – Cornwall
  • jekkyl

travelling to St Austell tomorrow morn and the A30 is always chocka with caravans and the like.

Can anyone inform me plz where the A30 becomes a single carriageway as there’s always a jam at that bit so hoping to avoid. Ta

MoreCashThanDash

Near Temple – though friends told us earlier in the week that the approval to dual that bit has been obtained.

Good luck – we now avoid going down on Saturdays – the dreaded change over day. Though it is an excellent day to go to the Eden Project, we discovered, as everyone else is on the A30 going in or out of Cornwall

julioflo
    Free Member

Well there is a little bit / the 1st bit of single carriage way up on Bodmin moor at Temple. But not for very long. Then it is now dual carriage way down to the roundabout that takes you to Truro. Can’t remember it’s name.
    However for st.austell, you could always go via a38 from exeter, through plymouth…but it is single carriageway when you cross the bridge into Cornwall.

portlyone

Near Temple – though friends told us earlier in the week that the approval to dual that bit has been obtained.

This?

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/a30-temple-to-higher-carblake-improvement/

neilforrow

I have just completed the SI for it. Going to happen soon.

the-muffin-man

Take the A38!

billyboulders
    Free Member

However for st.austell, you could always go via a38 from exeter, through plymouth.

You could….if you want to add at least another hour and a half of mainly 40mph limit single carriageway driving (after Plymouth) to your journey. Even if the a30 is full of caravans it will still be quicker.

jekkyl

Hmmmm

neilforrow

jekkyl, tis not that bad anymore, not like the old newquay turning was. Trouble is it is over the moor, so no real choice but to stick with it.

takisawa2

+1 for avoid the A38. It has more potential for escape if it does snarl up, but it’s at least an hour or more.

loddrik
    Free Member

Go later, family has a cottage in Carbis bay so I’ve been going down for decades, never ever travel in daytime when schools are on holiday!!!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Going that way on Wednesday for 4 days near the Lizard, then back home to Berkshire and then back to Falmouth on the 28th for a funeral. So, to get to Falmouth for 11am funeral on a Wednesday, leaving Newbury, I should be on the road for ? ………….

jam-bo

A Wednesday will be fine, it’s Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday to avoid.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘A30 – Cornwall’ is closed to new replies.