Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • A29 – What's it like to ride on?
  • teef
    Free Member

Planning a road ride down to the coast on Sunday – Weybridge to Littlehampton. I’ve found a Garmin route that involves lots of back roads but looking at the map the A29 goes straight there. What’s it like to ride on – are we better off sticking to the back roads or will we be fine on the A29?

bikeneil
    Free Member

I would imagine it’s about as exciting as the M6!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I drive it regularly and wouldn’t want to ride it. It’s straight (so high car speeds) in places, narrow in others with limited sighting that most road users don’t take into account.

trail_rat
    Free Member

depends if you like living…..

there isnt an A prefixed road around that i wouldn’t use the alternative option if availible.

davosaurusrex

Defo back roads, would only use it as a short link stretch but that’s my approach to road riding and A-roads generally

muggomagic

I only really know the stretch from say Pulborough to Fontwell. I personally wouldn’t want to ride along there. There is a lot of very fast traffic along a mostly single carriageway.
    EDIT: Plus on a Sunday it turns into the Whiteways Lodge Race track

njee20
    Free Member

Its fine – I live in Billingshurst, so ride bits of it regularly.

The worst bit on that route is Bury Hill, which is quite an unpleasant climb heading south. It’s two lanes, so you shouldn’t have too many problems with cars, although it is fast. I’d recommend going up from Amberley – turn left at the foot of Bury hill, then right and right again broadly. Much nicer climb, with far fewer cars.

You’ll not get as far as Fontwell – you turn left at Whiteways and drop into Arundel, nice descent. I’d ignore the signs for Littlehampton but turn right at Arundel towards Ford – past the prison, then turn left and into Littlehampton past the station.

Probably nicer on back roads it must be said.

njee20
    Free Member

Feeling helpful – I’ve drawn the route I’d take if it were me, on BikeHike – mail in profile if you want me to ping it to you. Broadly avoids main roads.

Rubber_Buccaneer

It’s OK and will be the fastest route but I wouldn’t call it enjoyable. If I were you I’d be getting njee’s route.

DrP

Does it have to be road?? Nice gentle off road route from weybridge to the south Coast… Follows the l2b off road route.
    Cross bike suitable too…

DrP

njee20
    Free Member

Bloody boring ride though in the main! I’d far rather do it on road.

cloudnine
    Free Member

The weather will be shite too.. Showers between the sideways rain.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘A29 – What's it like to ride on?’ is closed to new replies.