Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • A1 light mounting. How?
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

What’s the go to solution? Go pro mounts?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Bump

superleggero
    Free Member

Can you give a bit more info about the light unit itself? Does it have a flat bottom with a single screw thread?

I’ve been doing some research recently for my own light mounting and might be able to help.

nickjb
    Free Member

My solarstorm lights came with a headtorch mount that you could fit on a helmet either using the straps or a few zip ties. You can buy the mount on its own pretty cheaply on eBay.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I was able to run a magicshine helmet mount on my A1 last year, although the fin thing along the top starts midway on the helmet so it was a tiny bit moveable, but it was a case of ensuring the straps were tight enough to stop any wobble from the light when it was fitted, my biggest problem was not being able to run the cable through a vent on the helmet to stop it flapping about and always being in my peripheral vision.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Its a solarstorm X2 so yeah single screw.
    I have one of those straps too..

superleggero
    Free Member

If it’s a single screw type then here are a few options.

The Hope Universal Bar mount (CRC £7.99) is a decent alterntive to the stretchy O-rings that come with many lights:

You may need to change the screw that comes with it to fit your light to get the right screw diameter and length. I have a cheapo selection box of stove bots which have served me well for various mounts. Screwfix is your friend if you don’t have any lying about.

Also the GoPro camera adapter which is on Amazon at Under £3 and plenty available on Ebay. You’ll need to swap out the quarter inch camera screw and knob for a screw that fits your light. Gives you access to the whole GoPro ecosystem for bar and helmet mounts:

I also like the Garmin ‘out front’ mount which places the light in front of the stem faceplate. This is what I’m using at the moment – as recommended by Smudge for the Lumentator on the MTB Batteries Facebook page. This is the Garmin mount I’m using from SRAM (‘SRAM Quickview Road Garmin Mount’): http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-quikview-road-garmin-bike-mount/rp-prod123353 , together with the adapter plate(‘SRAM Quickview Garmin Computer Mount Adapter’): http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-quickview-garmin-computer-mount-adaptor/rp-prod123354.

You’ll need to drill a suitable sized hole in the centre of the adapter plate for the screw that goes into the light unit (pics of this in Facebook link below). NB Garmin do a Road and a Mountain version of the adapter. If you go down this route get the Road version. It fits 31.8mm bars but is longer than the Mountain vesrion and gives more mounting options, eg you can have the light slung under the mount by mounting the mount upside down on the bars, and there will be plenty of room to get your fingers between the back of the light and stem faceplate to operate the on/off buttons.

Pics of the Garmin mount conversion are here on the MTB Batteries Facebook page of 20 August: https://www.facebook.com/mtbbatteries/photos/pcb.1256652961021038/1256652257687775/?type=3&theater

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Cheers. But are these fit able to the funky angled A1?

superleggero
    Free Member

I’m not familiar with the X2 but Googled an MTBR thread with pics that suggest the X2 is quite receptive to a number of different mounting options including the Hope Universal Mount (which is pictured). The mounting area looks quite flat in some of the X2 pics despite the fins. How does it look on your version?

MTBR X2 thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/solarstorm-fandyfire-x2-844802-12.html

scc999

Superleggero – I think the OP is asking about mounting options to a TLD A1 helmet – not bars.

Si

superleggero
    Free Member

Thansk scc99! (quickly Googles TLD A1…) GoPro mount with straps looks like a runner.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘A1 light mounting. How?’ is closed to new replies.