Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • A "would you ride this" post.
  • olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

This is my Genesis Latitude 853 frame, it was hanging in my garage and has obviously been knocked down by someone, although strangely no-one will own up to it!
    It now has a dent 2/3 of the way along the top tube about the size of a 20p piece and about 1-2mm deep.
    I wa planning on getting it re painted and hanging all my nice 26″ parts off it as a spare/winter bike, but wanted to ask opinions on if it’s OK to ride, tbh the thin walls of the tubing worry me, so should I scrap it and just get a BFE 26 frame instead?
    Sprayed some black paint on just so the damage can be seen better.
    [/url][url=https://postimage.org/]photo hosting sites[/url][/img]
    [url=https://postimage.org/]photo hosting sites[/url]

Klunk
    Free Member

had a similar dent in a similar position on my soul for the last 7 years.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d ride it. I’ve ridden worse!

wrecker
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy it, but I’d ride it.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’d have ridden it bot that black splodge is killing it for me.

cookeaa

It’ll be fine, if you plan to respray it, bit of body filler to smooth it over before hand? You’ll soon forget it’s there…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Dear god the lawn!

matt_outandabout

I have no issue with that.
    Ride it.

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

Powder coat it is then, now what colour for making dents look less obvious

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Should have got that hay cut before now

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

I did think about filling it, but was worried flex in the frame would just make the filler crack or fall out.

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

For those who are having a pop at my lawn, I can’t weed or feed the whole lawn during summer as our Guinea pigs are out grazing on it, rest of the garden makes up for it though, people don’t look at the grass!
    [/url]img upload[/img]

cyclistm
    Free Member

Ride it

oldtalent
    Free Member

Disappointed there are no guinea pig pictures 🙁

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’d be more worried about miniature wheels than the dent

chakaping
    Free Member

Fifeandy took the words out of my mouth.

Dent no problem.

26in? Are you having a laugh sunshine?

ctk
    Free Member

Don’t waste your money powdercoating a dented frame- ride as is.

Or buy the Bfe!

swanny853

Disappointed there are no guinea pig pictures

This

jambalaya
    Free Member

Curious as to why you’d exaggerate the damage by spraying the frame black ?

Yes I’d still ride it, yes I’d still get a BFe 😉 – love my Cotic and although they are still producing them in batches from time to time they may stop. Red sold out pretty fast this time.

premier
    Free Member

Fill it, spray it, ride it

martinhutch

had a similar dent in a similar position on my soul for the last 7 years.

Me too. I’ll own up to dropping something on it, though. 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

Also disappointed in the lack of Guinea pig pictures. Our lawn is in a similar state- long at one end, short at the other.

To placate the masses here’s Harris and Wombat.

As for your dent, I have a bigger one in my De Rosa Road bike with much thinner tubes. I have ridden it for about 8 years now and am not at all concerned by it.

Andy-R

That dent would roll out well, I think, as it’s a “soft” sort of dent with no sharp edges. By the looks of it you have no cable stops in the way either.
    What’s the OD of the top tube?

Trimix
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ride it, it may give you cat aids.

buckster
    Free Member

I thought a wombat was a bat to play wom with?

There is a disappointing lack of indigenous species in your garden.

Junkyard
    Free Member

ride and not respray
    #26aintdead

bearnecessities

The brown one has the look of a mafia boss.

adsh
    Free Member

Love the guineas

DezB
    Free Member

Funny that, my Genesis IO has a similar dent in the top tube where someone threw it across the garage in a temper cos the bloody adjuster screw wouldn’t turn in the bloody drop out … nobody will own up to that either! 😳
    I still ride it, although I haven’t painted it black. And the wheels are sooo schmall.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The brown one has the look of a mafia boss.

Indeed.

globalti
    Free Member

It’s a nice smooth dent so it won’t form a stress riser. And yes; if I was repainting the frame I’d be tempted to fill it with body filler.

scuttler

Brown one smoking a fayg

olderigetfasteriwas
    Free Member

Thanks for the reassurance on the dent, yes I know it’s 26″, but I have a 27.5 trail bike now, this will be a spare/lend to a mate/winter slop bike, I need to get the frame painted anyway as it has rubbed through the paint on the rear stays from a Mudhugger guard, I also removed a cable guide as I run it 1x and it has external routing under down tube, hence spraying the black on as I couldn’t get the dent to show up properly in photos!
    Oh, and the tubing is ovalised, so didn’t think rolling it out was an option, limited access to inside at head and seat tube junctions too.
    I have good forks and hope wheels in 26″ that are worth peanuts now, and loads of spare finishing kit and components, so may as well have a place to hang them.
    Guinea Pig pics:
    [/url]
    upload imagem[/img]
    That was last year, they’re a lot bigger now though, can’t even fit in those tubes anymore!

swanny853

Guinea Pig pics

Better!

Andy-R

Oh well, if it’s ovalised then you won’t be able to roll it out. I’d just leave it as it is then.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Aren’t Guinea pigs #shitpets? They stay terrified of you even though you feed them and take care of them. ..?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Ours chase the postman. Well, as far as their cage allows they chase the postman. Terrified they are not.

ctk
    Free Member

If your getting it powdercoated you wont be able to use car body filler.

I still wouldn’t paint it even after what you’ve said. I’d prob just hammerite the bits that need doing and go with the rough and ready look.

jimster01

I’d suspend all financing (pocket money/house keeping) until the guilty party owns up.

Then get a Coptic, whilst using the dented bike in the meantime.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘A "would you ride this" post.’ is closed to new replies.