Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • A work question
  • Merak

I work for a big company that has sites across the UK. I’ve been asked to go back to site I previously worked at that’s being shut down at Christmas.

Since the announcement people have been leaving in numbers, they’re now struggling to meet SLA’s.

Would you go?

Caher

Depends on what capacity?

Merak

Just to support/muck in. Temps are being used atm. Only 6 full timers left.

dissonance

I would want to be rather certain its a short term secondment and that come Christmas you aint going to be on an at risk list.
    Then there is how far away it is etc etc.
    I would probably try and give it a miss though without some worthwhile incentive since unlikely to be a fun place to work.

Merak

I was thinking very much this^

rickmeister

Its approaching the danger zone for redundancies with announcements, at risk and final notices at Xmas with the three months notice lead in to the new tax year in April…

Do you have a confirmation of what would happen in your case after the site closed?

crazyjenkins01

Depends on your Terms and Conditions of employement. Are you a Union member?
    Can they make you go? Is it a secondment or will your ‘normal’ place of work still be open to you? What union recognition does the company have and what have the union advised to its members in this situation?

tjagain

Be very careful. You must be paid for any extra travelling time and I would want a written commitment that you will be returning to your normal place of work after xmas – thats the minimum I would accept. I would also ask for a bonus for doing this

Merak

Mmnn, yeah. I’m a bit concerned that if I do go through with it.

1. I will still have my job at the end of it.

2. That the job I have is still viable given I’m disappearing for 3 months.

The site is literally round the corner from my house. I’d save a good few quid on fuel. Part of me wants to say no, but the other part says yes for the (as yet undetermined) financial reward and short term convenience.

Given I would have to work a shift pattern, I’m 8-4 now, I would want some recompense for that. Not sure what to ask for?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘A work question’ is closed to new replies.