Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • A word in praise of the Polis…
  • Jenga
    Free Member

Out on my bike on Monday afternoon, on a Sustrans route. Saw a guy with an alsatian coming the other way. Never seen him or his dog before.

Dog was chasing an old football around, so I stopped to let them past. Basically I was unsure what the dog would do. Man runs up to said football and kicks it; not away from me to distract the dog, but full on into my face. Next moment he's wrestling me to the ground muttering jibberish, kicking me in the head, and jabbing me with his rolled umbrella. I managed to roll away, but man keeps chasing me with his umbrella, and tried to set the dog on me. (In fairness the dog was more interested in his ball). I was somewhat shocked, but suddenly had a hunch that man must have got to where he was by car, so I followed him, at a safe distance, saw his car and memorised the number.

Went to the polis who have really pulled the stops out. Man has been traced and charged with Actual Bodily Harm. Kicking my head, and using a weapon – his umbrella – are not thought well of.

As for me; broken helmet visor, hole in my Paramo, gouge out of winter boot, torn tights, bent mudguard, wrenched knee ligaments, sore chest where the umbrella was hitting me.

Only downside is that I contacted CTC who just couldn't care less. Strange.

Only problem now is that there will be a court case, and I'll be the only witness. Can I stand up to all that?

psychle
    Free Member

when ramblers attack?

hope you're OK, sounds like the chap was a few prawns short of a barbecue… may not go to court because of this perhaps?

BoardinBob

Bloody he'll! Where did this happen?

wwaswas

bl**dy hell that must have been a shock!

well done for reporting it and although only you know if you can face the court case I think you owe it to yourself (and, if this doesn't sound too trite, to society) to get this person tried and punished.

Glad you're physically ok, though.

Have the police indicated if he's contesting your version of events – the fact they charged him must mean they have a certain belief in your version of events.

Jenga
    Free Member

Lancashire Constabulary won't say too much about him, probably in view of proceedings, but I got the impression that he wasn't unkown to them. I'm pretty phlegmatic about it all really, but am more concerned that this was in a lonely area but one that has a lot of leisure walkers/dog walkers etc. If he'll attack me what might he do to others, particulary the single women who walk their dogs down there?

I wouldn't even mind if I'd been having an argument with him, and had come off worst. But completely unprovoked is odd. I didn't even speak whilst all this was going on. It was very surreal. I did think that it might be some form of TV/Video set up job. I'm really more shocked/surprised than anything.

scaredypants

Wow

Well done to you for getting his reg
    Just tell the truth in court – no doubt his version of events will differ markedly from yours, so be clear about what happened (how can you show that he attacked you, rather than you/him etc ?)

(couldn't have been Bulgarian he was speaking whilst jabbing you with his umbrella ? …)

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Sounds like a nutter
    I had a similar experience years ago

Assaulted by care in community type patient who lived in the hostel next door

To be honest initially felt awkward about what to do as this guy was actually ill

I pressed charges in the end
    What did it for me was that he was either sane and so knew what he was doing or else was having a relapse and thus needed a higher level of care

Magistrate decided he was sane and paid me 20 quid a month compo out of his benefits for 6 months which again I wasnt totally comfortable about but there you go

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good effort for using legal recourse, I'm surprised the internet hard-men have not been on to say "u shd hv fkn kld im m8" etc.

Not sure why the CTC should be interested?

IA

Might be worth going to a docs and getting a record of your injuries, taking pics of the damage to you and your things and writing down your account of what happened now? (and maybe giving the police a copy of all that too).

Not a lawyer, but would seem common sense?

tommid
    Free Member

That is one horrific story. Stay safe out there people and always carry that large adjustable spanner for such occasions.

swollen
    Free Member

That's nuts!
    I'll bet it will put you off going that route now incase you run into him again.
    Do you have a riding partner you can go with incase he is there again?
    BTW your lawyer will provide you with his details- name address etc…..

Jenga
    Free Member

Been to the docs.
    Taken photos, and police have seen damage.
    Full statement running to 10 pages given.

But, as swollen says the main worry is if I meet him again. I'm lucky that I can do my rides in the afternoon, but that means I have to ride on my own. In the present society if I take a spanner with me "just in case" then I'm likely to be hauled before the beak. The criminal Justice system would rather see me dead than let me defend myself.

If only CTC would talk to me about it. I thought I had Legal Expenses cover with them.

WackoAK
    Free Member

if I take a spanner with me "just in case" then I'm likely to be hauled before the beak

Attach a pump to the frame…

cynic-al
    Free Member

The criminal Justice system would rather see me dead than let me defend myself.

Funny, you seemed pretty rational up to now 🙄

If only CTC would talk to me about it. I thought I had Legal Expenses cover with them.

You may well do – what legal expenses are you incurring at present?

soulrider
    Free Member

Regarding the big spanner – cant you use the defence

but my Headset keeps coming loose so I carry this to tighten it up?

pjt201
    Free Member

might be worth telling sustrans too so they can see if the way the route is managed can be improved.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Im not sure sustrans can stop nutters walking dogs.

oldgit
    Free Member

The police are good about this stuff.
    I got punched to the floor by a middle aged man in a suit standing by his car looking at a road map, he beckoned me over politely then thumped me.

I reported it to the police and they were at the place the incident took place for a week at the time of day it happened. I didn't get a reg just knew it was a silver Granada.
    They were pretty good, certainly the onlt thing in my whole life the police have ever seemed interested in.

My pride was hurt though, felt very indignant scrambling about in my road cleats.

Jenga
    Free Member

pjt201 – Member

might be worth telling sustrans too so they can see if the way the route is managed can be improved

That's a good idea. I have a contact e-mail for the voluntary warden.

My policy if I meet him again is to pedal away quickly. He can't run as fast as I can ride. I know that's being chicken, but I'm good at that.

My main worry is that I've given myself a thundering headache trying to work out why it happened and what I did to provoke it. But I was just stood still; no idea what defence he will try on, but there are no witnesses so it could just come down to my word against his.

glenncampbell

Jenga – maybe you did nothing to provoke it? Just a random flake and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Good luck with the case and just tell them the facts – stand up for your rights!

DezB
    Free Member

I was somewhat shocked

Understatement?! Jeez, there's some nutters in this country.
    Hope he gets banged up. Or the next person he attacked kicks his head in ninja style.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

jenga – where was this? With you saying Lancs and Sustrans has me concerned that it may be local.

I'm in Rossendale/Irwell Vale BTW

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am in Chorley yeah where was this as I cycle with my kids

Jamie
    Free Member

I got punched to the floor by a middle aged man in a suit standing by his car looking at a road map, he beckoned me over politely then thumped me.

Whenever i read stories like that, i have to literally stop what i am doing for 5 minutes in order to work out what the hell motivates people to perpetrate such random acts. As it just makes no sense to me whatsoever.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps he should be considered for Man C? Sounds like he's got an accurate boot!
    Joking aside. Thats a tough break. Try not to beat yourself up about it, i very much doubt you did anything to provoke him and you're trying to rationalise irrational behaviour.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Try not to beat yourself up about it

You win the 'Mr Sensitive' award for the most inappropriate post 😀

tootin

since when was police spelt polis

cynic-al
    Free Member

It's a Scots thing.

LOL @ "beating yourself up about it"

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘A word in praise of the Polis…’ is closed to new replies.