Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • A what tyres thread
  • saxabar
    Free Member

We don’t seem to have had one of these for a while and I’m sure I recollect a clause in the STW T&Cs that all STWers are allowed one “what tyres” thread.

So, now my High Rollers are becoming knackered worn-out low rollers, what tyres next? They’ll be going an Alpine 160 and my riding area is North Wales (lots of rock, more rock and slate). I can’t say I’m the nimblest of riders and am prone to the odd heavy landing. Any recommendations after get better at riding bikes?

cynic-al
    Free Member

High Rollers.

Trimix
    Free Member

Try somethng different, go for some that are more round in profile so you dont get that grip-slip-crash feeling when cornering.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt22
    Free Member

My rubber queens 2.2 Black chilly were awesome at cmwcarn, really confidence inspiring and gripped like shit but were fast rolling as well, I use them on Exmoor as well and porlock is very root and rock infested again brilliant.

Ive only had these, Bontrager mud X’s in winter mud and the Paneracer Cedric garcia AM 2.35 which I didnt get on with so i’m no tire expert

coogan
    Free Member

Don’t listen to cynic-al. He know’s nothing. Try High Rollers II.

chakaping
    Free Member

I like Maxxis exo sidewall tyres for N Wales/Lakes sort of riding.

Got a 2.5 3C Minion on the front and a 2.4 60a HR2 on the rear at the moment. Tubeless.

Rear is not the quickest but can’t complain about lack of grip.

Northwind

I’m in the process of being seriously impressed with the Specialized Butcher… Just choose the carcass that most suits your riding. It’s really just a better Minion, but then there’s nothing bad about that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Profile does not affect grip.

zelak999
    Free Member

High roller II 2.4 up front and a high roller 2.35 rear.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Same as chakaping up front but with ardent 2.25 on the back ( both exo) slightly quicker rolling but can get overwhelmed in mud. However due to the fact I ride mostly in the lakes where it’s predominantly rocky it’s no problem.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I love the look of the tread on intense invaders so ordered a pair of folders in 50a compound a couple of days ago. Looking forward to trying them out!

saxabar
    Free Member

There’s some big DH-like tyres on offer here. I like the idea of a more rounded tyre, and if the Butcher wasn’t DH focused that might be the one. I’m leaning towards the HR2 although I do fancy a change of brand (why? just because!). The Conti RQ looks good too. Anyone anything bad to say about the RQs or HR2s?

RustySpanner

cynic-al – Member

Contact patch area varies with profile.
    Two identical tyres with the same pressure but differing profiles will have a different contact patch area at a given lean angle.

cheers_drive

Hans dampf. THE tyre for what they like to call all mountain.

br
    Free Member

For winter I’ve put a single ply Minion DHF on the front, with Ardent for the rear. Nice and grippy, plus seems to cut through mud/snow well.

saxabar
    Free Member

I didn’t realise the Hans Dampf came as a 26. A new frontrunner. Any negatives?

@br – I run a HR front and Ardent on my Stiffee. Great combo.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ve heard hans dampf have thin sidewalls that can cut up badly.

chris_db
    Free Member

I’ve got HDs on my hard and soft tails. I have had no problem with the sidewalls and I’m no lightweight…!

In terms of grip and wear then they work fine, the harder pacestar compound is the one to go for.

Brilliant tyres and going cheep on bikediscount.de (well, compared with UK prices)…

Chris 🙂

saxabar
    Free Member

Hans Dampfs now ordered. Cheers all.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    cynic-al – Member

Contact patch area varies with profile.
    Two identical tyres with the same pressure but differing profiles will have a different contact patch area at a given lean angle.

How does that not conflict with the basic laws of physics?

JohnnyPanic

hans dampf have thin sidewalls that can cut up badly

This is not true of the Trailstar or Pacestar versions.

They strike me as fairly tough with a ‘snakeskin’ finish.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Just took a punt on an on-one chunky monkey for £17.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve heard hans dampf have thin sidewalls that can cut up badly.

Nope. A week of rocks on the riviera barely marked them. They are very different feel from HRs though. Thy remind me of Kendal Nevegals in feel. Be a bit more delicate when cornering but you’ll adapt after a few scary moments.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘A what tyres thread’ is closed to new replies.