Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • A wet day out in Gisburn (pics)
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

click pic for more
    Whelp Stone Slab:

Big Dipper:

Impressions: Overall good, there's some excellent singletrack, and the Big Dipper is huge fun, enough to do it several times 🙂 It has 2 of the longest boardwalks I've ever done, made of split logs, and so long as you're going cross grain, there's plenty of grip. My feeling was that they'd used barely enough material on the first section we did (nearest Tosside) though the other tracks were more substantial, however, we were already seeing the same thing as the NFT in Grizedale when it was first built, where some sections are collecting water and turning into mud dips. Currently the signage is hopeless – all the old markers are still present, and it appears that many trails are bidirectional – at least by default. Without a guide I doubt we'd have found the best bits.

Gary_C

Rode here yesterday,& although weather was fine,have to agree with the comment ref the mud.The section up towards Whelpstone Crag was particularly claggy!
    Regards the signage,I would imagine its going up soon,as according to a piece in my local paper tonight,the official opening is on Sat 19th of this month.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

,the official opening is on Sat 19th of this month.

In that case I apologise for the premature criticsm of the signs – I thought it was already open!

Gary_C

I thought it was already open!

Well,it is,in a sort of unofficial way…… 😀

The step section that you show in your last three photo's btw,is the 1st handbuilt volunteer section,with a 2nd section due to open imminently.

EDIT:Not just the steps are handbuilt,the whole of that singletrack section linking the two fire roads is what I should have said.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

is the 1st handbuilt volunteer section

and probably the best!

snowslave

Looks good – can't believe I've not tried this yet, soon to be remedied hopefully…

2hottie
    Free Member

So the best bit is the part I helped out with!! Pushing those big rocks up the hill to make the staircase was a particular high light!! glad you liked it, dig on this Sunday so all welcome,

the mud issue will most likely be discussed at length and will more than likely be addressed by the volunteers.

Philby

Great photos as always SFB!

Might try and get to Gisburn next time I'm up in Yorkshire – looks like an interesting trail, and unlike the South Wales centres I'm used to.

lowey

This does not look like it has a happy ending. Did he get down ok ?

I was talking to Stumpyjohn on the STW ride on Sunday, complimenting him on the Volunteer trail. Simply brilliant.

Simon, no its not yet officially signposted and not officially open. I hear the UU are a little shocked by its popularity even though it is yet to open.

yoshimi

This is a great picture

yoshimi

oldgit
    Free Member

Sounds like a Postman Pat story.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I was up in Gisburn just over a week ago. I have to say that after all the build up on another thread on here, I was expecting better….sorry…. 😐
    2 runs down the big dipper and I hit the top of every berm, and the slab was a bit of a let down.
    It's a nice trail, for sure, but not very challenging, and I'm no great shakes as a rider.
    Did Keilder a few days later, in the pouring rain, and thought that was a better ride: Rockier, tougher, mahoosive final descent, and we didn't do any of the black sections

Nice pics though, SFB 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

This does not look like it has a happy ending. Did he get down ok ?

somehow he managed to keep it together 🙂 If he'd gone flying I'd have posted a pic!

I was expecting better….sorry

It depends – if you were coming from outside the area, there is better riding to be had nearby round Norber, Settle & Malham, but it's another welcome venue, and greatly improved from the old stuff there. Given the enthusiastic participation by volunteers I'd be loathe to slag it off, and they've done a great job! As you know, I'm not keen on trail centres, but I enjoyed it despite the constant rain and claggy mud, and will be sure to take beginners there several times a year.

stumpyjon

As pointed out above it is only unofficially open. Press release has now obviously gone out (which I knew it was imminent) so we've really all been riding it during the bedding in period. Still all very early days, and they weren't expecting these numbers so quickly. I think combine the rain and volume of riders some bits never got a chance to properly bed in. They will be rectified as will the signage. Other thing to note is that what is currently there is just the start, there are plans drawn up for more trail (possibly some more woodwork) facilites etc. All takes time and crucially funding which is a bit non-existant at the moment.

I don't think it will ever be the most technical of trails, we don't have the height or rock to do that. I think Martin did pretty well to get the descents in that he has given the site. If you want more challenging riding you can have a go at the downhill stuff (out of my league). In the meantime we will continue to add bits as we can, another couple of hundred yards of volunteer bit will probably be open in the next couple of weeks, including another small rocky drop similar to the steps in the woods.

discbrakediva
    Free Member

Just had a blast round today; thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! Did feel a bit like naughty school children when you find the sign saying 'you have found one of our new trails' 😀
    Definately go back for more, next weekend if the weather holds
    Well done building team; hard work much appreciated!

Trekster

The "it`s not hard enough" punters get up my nose 👿

Do they ever think back to when they could barely get themselves up a hill or down the first drop or over a root without sliding and falling off 👿

Really do get up my nose

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The "it`s not hard enough" punters get up my nose

I don't see why – it's an honest opinion. Some riders demand challenging terrain, so it's useful for them to know that Gisburn probably won't suit them. It doesn't mean the place is rubbish!

yoda
    Free Member

The trail is what it is!
    If it's not hard enough then you're not riding quick enough!
    There are very few people that should find Gisburn too easy.
    The faster you go the tighter the corners become,the quicker the climbs appear and the less time you have to recover on the downhills.
    I find it pleasurable to ride round with my slower friends on my full suss.
    It is a much tougher proposition when I try to belt round on the cross bike and it becomes a very different trail indeed!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Please re read what I wrote. I'd seen a big build up thread on STW before I went and it has to be said people were over stating the place. IMO.
    Its a nice ride and will get better as it beds in no doubt, I was just expecting more, sorry.

My brother lives nearby, so I imagine I'll go back and ride it again. I'll take a hardtail next time, and see if it rides better……
    🙂

djglover
    Free Member

Peter you must be a riding god, I don't believe for a minute that you got right to the top of all those berms in two runs.

I rode it at the weekend and thought the first red section and the black sections near the summit followed by the bermy bit were some of the best trail centre sections I've ridden. Yes it might not have the quantity of trails that Coed y Brenin has but I didn't think it had been overstated at all. With that and Lee Quarry you've some good little centres to get to if you are in the area.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you've some good little centres to get to if you are in the area

think of them as care in the community for the map blind 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

well without traveling a little further afield, ie to the Dales, Lakes or Calderdale, the riding is pretty bland round there in my experience!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

, the riding is pretty bland round there in my experience!

hmmm, 5 miles to Stockdale Lane, 7 miles to Airton, 10 to Flasby or Mastiles Lane or Clapham or Horton-in-Ribblesdale – you're right, dull as ditchwater 🙁

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I agree with PeterPoddy, its been talked up on here a bit and wasnt as good as I'd hoped. Thats not saying it wasnt good, just a bit over hyped IMO. I am sure that once its developed a bit more it'll be ace.

Llandegla often gets the same slagging and its all horses for courses. I like Llandegla as its near and handy and ace for a quick blast AND I am sure Gisburn will be the same for people who live nearby. It certainly has the potential and the guys should be praised for work in progress.

We should all just be grateful for having different places to ride.

mick_r

Any news on when the long promised bridleway links will get sorted? I'm guessing they mean linking to Salter Fell/Hornby Road and Dunsop Head BW.

I wouldn't call the other "natural" Bowland riding bland – you just need the right weather (ideally dry or frozen), ability to read a map and know which direction each BW works best 🙂

stumpyjon

I think some of the shine has worn off since the trails first unofficially openned due to the mud that's developed in several places. I've ridden it 5 or 6 times now and it was definitely better in the dry.

Glad everyone seems to like the volunteer built bit through the trees though.

djglover
    Free Member

Glad everyone seems to like the volunteer built bit through the trees though

If thats the first bit, then yeah, that is really good!. It was a much better technical challenge than Llandegla also IMO.

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah I really liked the volunteer bit. I enjoyed the whole trail overall – personally I prefer bigger climbs/descents but I think they did will working with the gradient there.

philfive
    Free Member

i live local to gisburn and i do enjoy it as its only 20 minutes from my house, the volunteer section is great as is most of the trails. looking forward to the official opening on saturday 😀

i have gisburn, lee quarry, rivi pike, mary townley loop and the pennies on my doorstep…… lancashire is ace 😀

philfive
    Free Member

on llangdegla, i didnt really enjoy it that much, i thought the red didnt flow to well but i enjoyed hammering the blue in 30 minutes 😀

will
    Free Member

Dam that looks fun!

Gribs

stumpyjon – Member

Glad everyone seems to like the volunteer built bit through the trees though

That bit feels like an easier version of Stainburn to me, and that's a very good thing.

The rest has suffered a bit with the rain though the big berms are great fun but I can see a lot of people missing them as they're signed as black graded. Imo they're much easier than the volunteer built bits through the woods.

philfive
    Free Member

i rode the new trails in june when the weather was roasting and belive me when there dry they are superb, the rollercoaster is just immense

hicksville
    Free Member

I rode the trails in june and I enjoyed them prior to doctors orders preventing riding, brillant trails but as with most trail centres they are becoming all a bit 'samey', recently went with a group of young people to Keilder and 7 stanes, I was not riding but acting as a backup but walked some of the trails, I really liked the climb at keilder not the drag of death to deadwater fell but the up and over rocky bits they looked great and in all honesty the young men found those harder than the woodwork. Any chance of incorporating some of those at Gisburn. Personally having ridden Gisburn lots I love the singletrack bit from, i will try and expalin, leave martin laithe barn and turn right pass the uphill junction on left carry on and turn right, singletrack leading to the bridge and up and over. For me that is brilliant slightly up and down twisty and flicky, rocky and rootsy and quick. For me it not always about the height gain but about the singletrack, for those locals some of the longridge fell stuff is brill (some is 'cheeky') twisty and smiley, could that be replicated?. For me woodwork is okay but not a fan. On the new Gisburn trail really like the red section after the woodwork with the rocks, storming.
    My respect goes to the trail builders for a fine and wonderful effort, many thanks!
    ps great pics Mr Barnes

twohats
    Free Member

2 runs down the big dipper and I hit the top of every berm

Eh, I don't get your point? Yes, you can ride up to the tops of the berms but its hardly the right line through them! I suggest you should work on your berm technique…

I don't believe for a minute that you got right to the top of all those berms in two runs.

Its really not that difficult if you make the wrong line choice… 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Peter you must be a riding god, I don't believe for a minute that you got right to the top of all those berms in two runs.

I hit the top of most of them on the first run, TBH. Not hard at all. 🙂
    I'm certainly no better than average, but I do know how to ride a berm to the top – It's fun!

Eh, I don't get your point? Yes, you can ride up to the tops of the berms but its hardly the right line through them! I suggest you should work on your berm technique

The point is that I felt I mastered it very quickly. It LOOKS impressive, sure, but it's very easy to ride like that if the desire takes you.
    Right line? Well, I liked it, and that's for me to say not you! 🙂

I rode that slab after only a quick glance, too. (I have pics of that when I upload them)

We did Lee Quarry straight after. Now that I did like. Didn't ride the "slab to plank" run there! I shall return….
    🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘A wet day out in Gisburn (pics)’ is closed to new replies.