Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • A weekend long UK MTB adventure for the discerning gentleman.
  • Kryton57

I want to go and ride my bike this summer in the peaks, lakes or similar. A kind of “finding oneself” epic ride over a weekend with no real emphasis on speed, just a man alone (probably) on mountain bike appreciating life and nature, maybe carrying a camera.

Any suggestions?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Swindon.

matt_outandabout

Cairngorm circuit?

Esme
    Free Member

Mary Towneley Loop, spread over two days?

Kryton57

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Swindon.

FFS… 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

thestabiliser
    Free Member

lakeland 200

ninfan
    Free Member

Trans Cambrian
    Coast to Coast
    Pennine Bridleway

timidwheeler
    Free Member

For a weekend, Snowdonia. Compact, rugged, gorgeous and relatively remote.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

For a weekend we have stayed in Hartsop, Patterdale in the lakes. Loads of proper lakeland routes from there. Plus it is away from some of the more touristy areas such as ambleside and keswick.

towzer

poss ot for you but have you considered following a canal (and train back – could add some detours) – we’ve seen some fantastic sites (rural and city) on our bimbles

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d vote the Lakes too. However I would stay in Borrowdale in a really bloody good Hotel we found. Use this as a base then pick some 7-8hr route(s) in the knowledge that a) you’ll have a fab nights sleep b) a stonkingly good breakfast c) uber stunning scenery d) head back to Hotel for astonishing supper e) lock your bike up in thier Drying Room f) shower until you become waterlogged g) sip whiskey or real ale from the bar h) fall asleep in a bed so comfy to the sound off….. Nothingness.

That’s what I’d do, in fact I’m doing it again in September.

Let me know if you need the Hotels name.

dknwhy

Cairngorms. Sleeper train (£150)or coach (£50 – if you can put up with the misery). Head to Aviemore (really easy if you live near London).

Do whatever route you feel like – camp/B&B whatever – inner or outer Cairngorm Loop is good.

I did the outer loop over 2 1/2 days. Thurs night coach from London Victoria (11pm), arrived 11.30am. Left my bike bag at one of the outdoor shops in Aviemore.
    Wild camped just past Tomintoul on day 1. Camped just past Blair Atholl on day 2. Got back into Aviemore around lunchtime on the Sunday and then got the Sunday night (7pm) coach back into London for around 7am on the Monday morning. If camping isn’t your thing there is accommodation in both towns.

Route was around 130 miles I think.

BadlyWiredDog

You could potter up the Pennine Bridleway for a couple of days and see how far you get then call your private helicopter to pick you up from your finish point. Or the Coast to Coast mtb maybe. Backpack it for added interest?

Kryton57

Bikebouy – yes please that sounds perfect for what I’m after, email in profile .

I appreciate we’ve only just met :D, but purely in the interest of safety would you consider a ride buddy in September?

BadlyWiredDog

Ah bless, you’ve gone from ‘just a man alone’ to ‘bromancing the stone’ in just 15 forum posts… I hear there’s a Village People convention being held in a luxury spa hotel in the north Lakes in August if you’d like the details 🙂

Kryton57

Lol!

I’m thinking of the saftey aspect – and a potential guide :-). I’m happy to stay 100yrds away from Bikebouy at all times and keep my mutterings to myself…

What I’m trying to avoid is a lads weekend away at a typical trailcentre with competitive/pressurised riding and beery-leading-to-sambuca’s evenings. I just want some soul searching quiet time with natural inspiration around me.

munrobiker
    Free Member

If you want a genuine adventure the Cairngorms are the place to have it.

You can park up at the Linn of Dee-

And from there you won’t see another person or tarmac for around 35 miles by riding up through Glen Feshie-

Which then descends on some lovely singletrack to the other side of the Cairngorms-

From where you can go up, and then down, Carn Ban Mhor, which is a lovely mountain with stunning views-

Before you arrive in Aviemore-

And go to the pub for the night-

The next morning you can then use your sore legs to climb Cairngorm-

Then descend Cairngorm toward Ben Macdui-

Then descend Ben Macdui to Glen Derry-

Then go home. Two days, around 80-90 miles, around 75% off road and two of the best descents of your life, as well as staggering views.

Kryton57

Yes – that ^^

Junkyard
    Free Member

Can we all come then that looks fab

munrobiker
    Free Member

It was 8)

An alternative would be a big tour of Lochnagar, Glen Clova and Glen Doll but if you’re allowing yourself two days it seems like a good opportunity to do a ride that can’t be reasonably done in one, like Ben Macdui and Glen Feshie.

The nature of it is that the first day is mostly a long bimble on relatively untechnical terrain, soaking in the alone-ness and the views before sticking on a big fast mountain descent to liven things up. The second day is a vast amount of climbing followed by a similarly vast amount of descending. One of my highlights of the last year.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Nothing to add- just marking for future reference

globalti
    Free Member

Let me know if you need the Hotels name.

What was the name of the hotel in Borrowdale? I’ve got overseas visitors coming today for four days.

MadBillMcMad

here is the cairgorm loop

We actually did the inner loop

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do;jsessionid=5A9F073D99DF61FBFEF0780B35AFACEC?fileId=dgfuxyexrekfrcxf

Awesome w/e.

jate
    Free Member

Cairngorms.
    Last year we did Kingussie – Braemar Day 1 via Loch Buig and back to Braemar Day 2 via Glen Feshie.
    It’s not at all technical but there are two long descents (the one at the end of day 1 is huge), again not technical.
    Stayed at the YHA in Braemar which was fine.
    Two absolutely stunning days but you do need the weather…..
    Saw one other person day 1 but on day 2 we met a C2C walking holiday coming the other way!

leftyboy
    Free Member

Mid-Wales either based at Builth Wells or the Elan valley, Rhayder. If the later pop in to Clive Powell’s shop, Elan Cyclery, for some route maps. Beauty of the Elan Valley is it’s all rideable and natural trails with plenty of fun fast downhills to reward the climbs!

Also quite a few bike friendly B&Bs if that is your preference!

ton

just a quickie, anyone on here done the lakes 200?
    if so, which is the best way to do it.
    I have a few days hols in june, might go up and bimble round at a steady pace, with a aim to just finish it. get digs where I end up each teatime.

grum
    Free Member

Nothing to add- just marking for future reference

+1 🙂

DaRC_L

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Swindon.
    FFS…

Well you may snigger BUT you can get out of Swindon pretty quickly and onto some great riding (6km southward to the Ridgeway) and northwards to the Cotswolds
    although I have no idea what I’m defending the place 🙄

Cowman

Mary townley loop is great, can be done nicely in 2 days. With nice bug out points.

Did this a year ago. Great time.

Kryton57

Well you may snigger BUT you can get out of Swindon pretty quickly and onto some great riding (6km southward to the Ridgeway) and northwards to the Cotswolds

How long would I have left after I’ve negotiated that sodding roundabout…

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Why limit yourself to the UK though?

Kryton57

I don’t fly, and I have only enough leave / family permission for a Friday morning to Monday morning away period.

dknwhy

Maybe focus on wales then as you’ll get more riding time. Mid wales (Elan etc) or south wales. Stay in Talybont on Usk and do some loops from there.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Drive up to Scotland can be done on the Thursday night and the riding will be superior.

DaRC_L

How long would I have left after I’ve negotiated that sodding roundabout…

Used to live not far from it – if you survive you’ll have a long time left 🙂
    I must admit the Mary Townley loop is on my radar as is heading back to Llanwrtyd Wells for a retro early days of MTB-ing loop

Kunstler

The West Highland Way seems to tick your boxes. A classic ride. The train journey back is spectacular in itself.

If you wanted to be based in one place the Aviemore is good but so is Kinlochleven. Devils’s Staircase and the Tour de Ben Nevis route on the doorstep. But the answer is usually Torridon.

bikebouy
    Free Member

@ Kryton..

Sure I’d be up for a riding buddy..

Take this offline though, this lot will think we’re getting married or something 😆

RRD
    Free Member

I agree with many that have suggested north of the border.

West Highland Way in 2 days is very pleasant and you’ll be able to book the train for your journey from the south. The route is that well walked that being on your own would not be an issue from a safety perspective. I stayed in a very nice B&B near Tyndrum which allowed me to travel sufficiently light to enjoy the riding.

Alternatively, as suggested use Aviemore as a base. Awesome riding.

Not that the Lakes is not awesome too

dknwhy

bikebouy – Member
    @ Kryton..

Sure I’d be up for a riding buddy..

Take this offline though, this lot will think we’re getting married or something

In internet land, you’re now already married.

Ps get a room 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘A weekend long UK MTB adventure for the discerning gentleman.’ is closed to new replies.