Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • a week in scotland…based in Torridon
  • tmb467
    Free Member

Drive up Sunday 1st Sept and set up camp

Monday – ride this Torridon

Tuesday – recovery, mebbe a bit of a pootle up Glen Affric, with beer and food being the order of the day…scenery, not descents

Wednesday – Torridon Loop nobeerinthefridge loop

Thursday – Nevis Red / Downhill routes

Friday – Wolftrax and then home

should be do-able on ‘reasonable’ fitness levels, shouldnt it?

tmb467
    Free Member

although i’ve just noticed that the monday descent is done twice on the wed as part of the out and back…

haggis1978

Pack plenty of midge repellent. Was eaten alive at torridon last weekend. Tried everything except Avon skin so soft and nothing worked on the little buggers

IA

I’d spend more than 2 days exploring torridon. In fact, I did.

If you’re literally camping, then I wouldn’t worry about scheduling beyond tuesday, you’ll have been eaten alive by then 😉

Stu

I concur with IA – just spend the week in Torridon, you won’t regret it. You will however regret camping in Torridon – head to the community campsite in Shieldaig instead, less midges, much better location and a decent pub 5 mins walk away.

Gilles

If you go up to Kinlochewe, you can try the following trail, i recorded in June, all ridable up and down:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo07_yBPWGo[/video]

Then a coffee/tea break at the Whistle Stop Cafe.

tmb467
    Free Member

Is that Pony Trail ride easy to find / follow? Looks like a tuesday ride perhaps.

If I can find enough to explore round Torridon I could stay there…was only thinking Nevis might be something easier on the legs with the uplift available.

And as for midges – I laugh in the face of midges as long as I have a net and plenty of deet and Avon

Is the community campsite book-able? Was considering the free one in Torridon as it was in a cool campsites book and looks quite nice

tmb467
    Free Member

Tbf – is there ANYTHING to stop the midges?

fasgadh
    Free Member

“Tbf – is there ANYTHING to stop the midges? “

October.

philbert31
    Free Member

How bad is the weather likely to be late September around Torridon?

haggis1978

I stayed at the free one in torridon. Mental midges. Mental. Camp in the middle of the field if you can. Was quite dry and further away from the midges.

tomd
    Free Member

It would be a better bet than spring as there shouldn’t be any ice or snow

Stu

The Shieldaig one is not bookable, but neither is the Torridon one. Believe me Sheildaig is a million times better in terms of setting, nearby pub and midges.

Potdog
    Free Member

Smidge is supposed to be the top weapon against the midges now isn’t it?

scotroutes

+1

tmb467
    Free Member

Ill have a look at that other site then – cheers!

And order some Smidge – I do like their Midge Forecast site…Torridon doesn’t look very good at the minute

tmb467
    Free Member

Any other ideas for rides round there?

Or is it just a case of getting the OS map out and hoping?

tmb467
    Free Member

Actually – ill use the search function

There’s a fair bit there

nick1962
    Free Member

Don’t camp in Torridon-midge hell,any exposed skin literally gets covered in midges in minutes if they are in full flow which means you have to stay in your tent almost all the time.Setting up and packing away your tents can be a nightmare.I should have taken some pics but didn’t want to take my gloves off!Midges not so bad on the hills though and Smidge will suffice there.
    Do Beinn Damh loop first day then go explore the rest of the day.
    Did the Nobeerinthefridge route and imho the left turn and hike up Bealach a choire gharib is a nice walk spoiled by having to lug your bike along and the singletrack gained is nothing special,so not worth it.

scotroutes

Credit where it’s due 🙂

nick1962
    Free Member

Apologies,the househusband loop in the nobeerinthefridge thread 🙂

Spin
    Free Member

How bad is the weather likely to be late September around Torridon?

It’s too soon to say whay it will be like this weekend never mind September.

Spin
    Free Member

That MTBtrails route is rather an odd way of doing that loop. Stick with the Househusband/NBitF one.

Spin
    Free Member

From Sheildaig the round of Beinn Dearg (anti clock) is handy but you want it dry and for my money it isn’t quite in the same league as the Fionnarich/Lair loop.

nick1962
    Free Member

First time we rode up the road to the Ling huts then took the stalkers path till it disappered then hike a bike for 2kms till joining the trail at ,I think Bealach Ban.That way we got the big descent to Achnashellach and did Coulags/Annat descent on the way back.

Spin
    Free Member

Beinn Dearg

I meant Damh

Spin
    Free Member

Bealach a choire gharib is a nice walk spoiled by having to lug your bike along and the singletrack gained is nothing special,so not worth it.

I’d agree with that. Mentioned it on the other thread that was on about Torridon.

tmb467
    Free Member

Oooh, its like a proper holiday where you can’t read the language!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

The trail from Shieldaig to Applecross is great. As is the walled gardens cafe near the end. Or the Applecross inn.

Spin
    Free Member

The trail from Shieldaig to Applecross is great.

That is nice as is the bit that goes to Kenmore. Well worth doing as an out and back.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Actually the Kenmore bit is the one I meant. Would be a good ride to do the day after a big day.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

tmb467 – Member
    Drive up Sunday 1st Sept and set up camp

Monday – ride this Torridon

Tuesday – recovery, mebbe a bit of a pootle up Glen Affric, with beer and food being the order of the day…scenery, not descents

Wednesday – Torridon Loop nobeerinthefridge loop

Thursday – Nevis Red / Downhill routes

Friday – Wolftrax and then home

should be do-able on ‘reasonable’ fitness levels, shouldnt it?

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Even though I have ridden and loved that route, I cannot alas claim it as my own…. That particular map was produced by househusband of this parish!.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oops, just noticed that the forum police Druidh beat me to it!.

househusband

I can only take credit for riding it and creating the map from the route – it was rickmeister that took me up there!

tmb467
    Free Member

Presume its an easy enough path to follow – posts seem to suggest it. May replace the Monday ride with another ‘warm up’ 20miler then do the suggested ride out to Applecross or Kenmore if I can find it

Then this one on the Wed

househusband

Presume its an easy enough path to follow – posts seem to suggest it.

With adequate visibility, yes…

tmb467
    Free Member

Aye – if I’m on my own I’m not risking anything silly

Spin
    Free Member
    BoardinBob

Heading up tomorrow for 4 days solo. Can’t wait.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Was in Torridon for a couple of weeks in June – family holiday. We were incredibly lucky that it was reasonably windy just about every day so only saw a few midges on one day sitting in the sun outside the Torridon Inn. If you are lucky its one of the best places to mountain bike.

The Annat/Coire Grannda/Achnashellach/Fionnairich/Bealach na Lice is probably the best loop in the UK. Perfect day out

Beinn Damph loop anti clockwise is a nice half day ride if its dry – watch out for the bike swallowing puddle about 2/3 the way along the loch

Ling hut path up to the bottom of Coire Grannda then turn right to head back to Bealach na Lice and back to Annat is another nice half day

Out and back to Coire Mhic Fhearchar via Coire Dubh Mor is another good half day. Push/carry most of the way up and the descent is a bit on/off the first 1/3 but well worth it for the view of the coire which is really special, plus a brilliant technical descent for the bottom 2/3

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘a week in scotland…based in Torridon’ is closed to new replies.