Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • A week in Cuba – where would you go?
  • DrJ

MrsJ has been wanting to go to Cuba for a long time and to see it before the yanks arrive, we will probably go this March. I have no real idea what to expect – I’ve seen the usual pictures of old cars, but I don’t have a clue what to see outside of Havana. Of course guide books will help, but i’d really be interested to know what the STW travellers liked and didn’t like!

RustySpanner

Sorry to go on, but…..

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

We went this summer. Stayed just outside of Guardalavaca. The beaches are fantastic if you are into lazing around. The nearest city to us was Holguin which was well worth visiting. The locals we met and spoke to were incredibly friendly and we felt safe wherever we went. Being able to speak a little Spanish helped as not many people away from the hotel and tourist centres spoke English.

Havana was 12 hours away by road so we didn’t get to go there unfortunately. Its only an hour or so on a plane from Holguin but we were advised not to do that as the internal flights are unreliable and often cancelled without notice.

We did a mixture of lazing on the beach or by the pool and getting out into the countryside. We used the local taxis (1950s American cars) and buses. We also did a couple of organised tours which were brilliant the local tour guides were very enthusiastic and we learned loads about the history of the island. The insight into the politics was fascinating – and they really don’t like Americans.

Cafe menus are just a bit of a guide as they often run out of quite basic ingredients. We went for breakfast one morning and ordered toast. Toast was all that arrived. I asked “Please can we have some butter?” only to be told “No. We haven’t got any”. Other than that the food and drink was cheap and good quality.

We went in July and the weather was blistering hot all the time.

We have already planned to go again in 2017 and will stay up near Havana.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

How long are you going for?
    The yanks may not be there in great numbers, but they are there already, as are the Canadians and everyone else.
    I’d get out of Havana after a couple of days and fly to Santiago de Cuba. Then get a big ole Taxi and head through the Mountains to Baracoa, right on the tip next to Haiti. You won’t get many tour busess down there. You can feel there’s a bit of an edge…

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

– and they really don’t like Americans.

Bullshit! They don’t like the American government but there is no animosity towards the American people or anyone else. Unless the sentiment has changed in the last 20 years…

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

Well the quote from the ones we spoke to was “Whats the best thing about Cuba? No Americans”

zippykona

The murals celebrating 9/11 in Havana are just a little bit anti U.S.
    We were there when England played America in the world cup and we lost. Being surrounded by yanks made it one of the worst days of my life.

onandon
    Free Member

Also interested as I’m going for three weeks in March.

DrJ

Well, just booked the tickets, so time to get excited – 2 weeks, beginning and ending in Havana. In between?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Upmann.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Other than Havana…

Santa Clara for the Che monument etc.Try and get to Trinidad – it’s a great place (and a World Heritage Site). Valle de los Ingenios is nearby and worth a look for the slave tower.

Cuba is a great country. Enjoy…

RustySpanner

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

Ah, Dorset, with its wonderful Bulbarrow Hill.

olly2097
    Free Member

Went to Havana. What a safe and beautiful city. So much culture.

Do they like Americans? I guess some must but a fair few told me and my wife; “you know, we do not like Americans” we went on a tour and hearths same thing.

Also went to cayo coco. Which is nice but just a tourist resort.

You can do cycling tours and the country is very very safe.

iain1775
    Free Member

If you want to see Havana (a must) then –
    Havana
    Vinales (Tabaco growing region)
    And Varadero for beaches and ‘luxurious’ (by Cuban standards) blowout (don’t expect to see the that real Cuba there though)
    Loads of other places as well, really depends if you want to go south or include Havana, it’s a long Island and travel can be difficult
    Flights unpredictable and roads whilst quiet and generally ok public transport is poor to none existent

We went with CaptivatingCuba.com, check out their brochures for ideas of multiple centre trips but I would highly recommend them (this was 10 years ago now)
    It’s a lovely country and fantastic friendly people
    In Havana we stayed in the same room Grahame Greene set ‘our man in Havana’ the floor above us in the Hotrl used to be Al Capones hideout, there is some absolute fantastic history in Cuba, the museum of the a revolution in Havana is also well worth a visit, it’s comical in it’s seriousness 😉

ribena
    Free Member

We took our bikes (free on Virgin Atlantic), and then cycled from Havana to Vinales. It was the best part of the trip really, we only saw a couple of other cycle tourists from Holland, all the locals were really friendly (felt like “real Cuba”). Several people pulled alongside us and insisted we stay at their house, though we declined and stayed in Casas

Then we stayed in Vinales for a bit before getting the tourist busses to Trinidad (very touristy), Santa Clara and back to Havana for a look around.

100mphplus
    Free Member

We did a mini island tour with Exodus this November and would highly recommend Bay of Pigs and Santa Clara for some history of the revolution. Cienfuegos and Trinidad are def worth a visit for a slice of real Cuban life. Havana is a cert.
    Being able to speak some Spanish will enable you to get so much more from the visit, the Cubans want to talk to you, really friendly people but there isn’t much English spoken due to it being banned until recently.
    Even the beggars and street hawkers are really friendly and once you say no, stop hassling you!
    Landing and departing through passport control at Havana airport is utter chaos, so prepare to queue for a few hours and try and chill. Stand your ground as the cubans all try to queue jump and try and just laugh at the chaos going on!!
    Whilst the old cars are part of the history, most of them are utter sheds and most run aftermarket diesel engines, the few ‘original’ ones left do the tours in Havana and are good value for a trip out round the city.
    I’m not sure what state the hire cars are, but I would have no problem in actually driving over there, as mentioned above, the roads are pretty quiet and reasonable quality to get around.
    Food wise, it cost roughly 20 Cuban convertibles for a dinner or tea,(~£15) and drinks were generally 2-3 CUC (£1.30-£2). The beer is ok too, Crystal or Bucanero.

Coyote
    Free Member

Am I the only one who doesn’t understand wtf Rusty Spanner is up to?

RustySpanner
    alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Stay away from the all-inclusive resorts. Rent a car and stop in B&B run by the locals. Fantastic country. You´ll love Havana.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘A week in Cuba – where would you go?’ is closed to new replies.