Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 195 total)
  • A warning to Red Light Jumpers
  • BruceWee
    RealMan
    Free Member

Too much is not shown in that video.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Only if youare a black man – not if you are white woman

On 28 July 2011, Toyin Agbetu witnessed a young African in handcuffs feeling harassed and eventually being arrested after being stopped for cycling past a red light near hackney mare Street, London.

In this clip you see his frustration at being targeted in what seems a racist operation as the same officers ignored a european woman who did exactly the same thing. The officer creates an excuse that he cannot verify the name of the young man or reconcile him with the name on his credit card despite passer-bys fully identifying the young man.

dave360

Must have missed the racist bit, I just saw a ****t making things worse for himself due to his big gob. He sounded more english than african to me too. Honestly it’s enough to make you want to go and loot richer sounds.

mbr30
    Free Member

Can someone tell me what the officer did wrong because I’d be very interested to read it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its not an arrestable offence, the police refused to accept his ID. He was a gobby get for sure. However on the surface its an abuse of power and quite possibly racist. He provided them with ID would they have treated a white guy the same? They didn’t treat a white woman the same ( if the commentary is to be believed)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Watched the first 5 seconds, thought dumb **** and switched it off! No respec for the law!!!

nedrapier

wrightyson + 1

Reminds me of this.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPJZfWdciLU[/video]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hmmm…….

thepublican
    Free Member

I thought if the police were not satisfied as to your true identity relating to any finE that was grounds for arrest? Seems like the situation there tbh.

Lucky he didnt get done for public disorder aswell with all the foul whiney abuse he was shouting. If he shut his mouth and accepted the ticket he wouldn’t have been arrested. Idiot.

Who bets he was running down the street with a big tv last night….?

eth3er
    Free Member

Racism is a hard thing to explain. Statistics relating to stop and search if you are young male and black are revealing.

Garry_Lager

🙁 Daft Babylonians

brakes
    Free Member

Statistics relating to stop and search if you are young male and black are revealing.

you’re a policeman, if you knew that people from a dodgy area of your city were statistically more likely to come into town and commit crimes, and everyone wore a badge saying where they were from, would you be more inclined to stop and search those from the dodgy area?

mbr30
    Free Member

So he showed them “ID” did he? They would have carried out checks on that which would have put that “ID” you mention in doubt.there is no such thing as an arrestable offence for your info.any offence is if it meets certain criteria like being unable to confirm idenitity. I ask again,what did he do wrong?!

eth3er
    Free Member

Like I said racism is hard to explain.
    Brakes your analogy is poor but makes a point. That is called profiling, in this case based on race. What you are in fact saying is it’s okay to stop dark skinned people and search them because some dark skinned people have committed crimes,(but more specifically you don’t know what these figures are). If that does not bother you, well I haven’t the energy to talk you round.
    Also you are conflating stop and search statistics with crime statistics.

grantway
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Only if youare a black man – not if you are white woman

Not exactly Tandem I was given a hard warning some 13 years back and I am White man.

I’m a middle aged white male who frequently rides an expensive bike in the middle of the night while wearing a rucksack.
    If the police want to stop and search me to meet their ethnic diversity targets I’d be glad of the company and a chance to chat to them about the marmalade sandwiches, bananas and soya yoghurt I’m carrying.

Edric64
    Free Member

you could be on dodgy ground with soya yoghurt you know

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Who bets he was running down the street with a big tv last night….?

As I know the young mayn in the video no more than I know you, what’s the bet you were running down the street with a nicked telly last night? Just as likely a scenario in the big scheme of things, in’t it?

As for racial profiling; when I was a yute, we used to get the white lads in our ‘gang’ to carry any drugs, as they were far less likely, if we got pulled over, to get searched. I’ve bin in situations where the white lads were told to ‘go home’ without even being asked their names,whiles us darkies were questioned and searched. I’ve bin and seen mates racially abused by police officers. Sadly, there were quite a few racist coppers in the local police force when I was young. I hope the situation has changed, and it does seem the coppers today are nowhere near as bigoted, but profiling still exists and is racially prejudicial by it’s nature.

The lad in the video is a gobby git but that’s not a crime. The copper seemed inept and a bit overwhelmed by the fact an intelligent rational person was asking him questions. As for the credit card, well if it were nicked then he’s bang to rights.

One thing is clear though; a number of people on here jolly well have not a clue what they’re talking about, as per bloody usual…. 🙄

brakes
    Free Member

Brakes your analogy is poor but makes a point.

the point being that there is a distinction between racism and profiling, but that distinction is a very wobbly one

…a number of people on here jolly well have not a clue what they’re talking about…

thepublican
    Free Member

I was at work Elfin so no late night tv hunting here.

But if that chap in the video has that much respect for a police officer issuing a ticket it’s probably surely a slight possibility he has similar respect for local businesses and property…

But that’s just me profiling.

eth3er
    Free Member

The straw man here is hurting my brain.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

But if that chap in the video has that much respect for a police officer issuing a ticket it’s probably surely a slight possibility he has similar respect for local businesses and property…

I don’t have a great deal of respect for the police based on a number of negative experiences and numerous cases of them failing in their duties, but I have respect for local businesses and property.

So, where are you now?

Still judgemental and prejudiced, I’d imagine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“Profiling”…The new name for racism?

Or just being stupid?

kennyp
    Free Member

Statistics relating to stop and search if you are young male and black are revealing.

I’ll bet many of the folk (of all colours) who moan about being stopped and searched are the same ones out terrorising innocent shopkeepers the last few days, thereby pretty much confirming the police as being right all along.

Cougar

Not watched the video yet because I can’t right now, but the subsequent discussion reminds me of a little tale.

A mate of mine used to drive a Sierra Cosworth back in the day. Ford tiger stripes, wide wheels and lowered to the point of the tyres catching on the wheel arches if he cornered too heavily, drove everywhere like his head was on fire.

He was bemoaning his lot to me one day about being constantly harassed by the police. “It’s because I’m a young black lad in a fancy car,” he told me. He seemed genuinely shocked when I suggested that it might just be because he drove like a tw@.

I don’t doubt that racism occurs, and I expect in the 70s / 80s it was endemic in and out of the police forces (though I’d hope it’s considerably less these days); however, I’d reject the implication that that’s the only reason that youths of darker skin get stopped by the police. To wit,

I’m sure they are, but you need to be very careful about what conclusion you draw from that. Does it imply prejudice, or does it indicate the demographic most likely to be behaving in a manner that would draw attention / merit a stop & search?

I live in East Lancashire, and the vast majority of lunatic (fast, erratic) drivers I see are a) male as close to exclusively as makes no odds, b) young in the vast majority of cases, and c) black probably more often than not but less of a majority than the others. Ie, the largest demographic I’d expect to be stopped are young black men; the second largest I’d expect to see are young white men. Do the statistics bear that out?

eth3er
    Free Member

That is so dense and myopic it hurts.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Far more black men are stopped and searched than white. It confirms prejudice according to this

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/uploaded_files/raceinbritain/ehrc_stop_and_search_report.pdf

kennyp
    Free Member

It confirms prejudice

Not necessarily. Could equally be the police targeting the folk they think most likely to be carrying knives.

eth3er
    Free Member

So you didn’t read the report.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No – it confirms prejudice – thats what the report says.

arrests are more likely after stops on white men. Innocent black men get stopped far more than innocent white men.

aracer
    Free Member

Far more black men are stopped and searched than white. It confirms prejudice according to this

I only skimmed that to try and find the relevant stuff, and the disproving of commonly suggested reasons for the disproportionality seemed to be based on a lot of waffle and very little in the way of hard data. Presumably I missed the bit where they proved that more black men being stopped than white proves prejudice – care to point it out to me?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Conclusion
    The pattern of entrenched disproportionate
    use of stop and search powers on people
    from ethnic minority communities is
    consistent with the evidence on racial
    prejudice and stereotyping
    . On the other
    hand, none of the arguments set out earlier
    in this chapter provide a satisfactory
    explanation as to why in some areas of the
    country different racial groups are targeted
    relatively equitably, while in others black
    people in particular are much more likely to
    be stopped and searched than white people.
    Arguments based on generalisations
    about some racial groups being more
    ‘available’ to stop and search or more
    likely to commit particular types of crime
    are highly problematic. The evidence
    supporting such claims is unreliable and,
    in any case, when making the decision to
    stop and search police officers are legally
    obliged to have ‘reasonable suspicion’
    that the person involved has committed
    an offence. Reasonable suspicion must be
    based on objective evidence in each case
    rather than generalised beliefs about the
    behaviour of people from particular social
    or racial groups.
    The evidence points to racial
    discrimination being a significant reason
    why in many areas of the country people
    from ethnic minority communities, black
    people in particular,
    are so much more
    likely to be stopped and searched by
    the police than their white neighbours.
    It implies, in other words, that stop
    and search powers are being used in a
    discriminatory and unlawful way

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’ll bet many of the folk (of all colours) who moan about being stopped and searched are the same ones out terrorising innocent shopkeepers the last few days, thereby pretty much confirming the police as being right all along.

I bet you make wide sweeping statements based on little to no evidence.
    If you believe the disproportionate usage is based on intelligence then you are deluded.

Black people are at least six times as likely to be stopped and searched as white people.

Given how much we outnumber them they dont do X6 of crimes.
    I am sure kennyp will search google for some facts to support his view…he seems the analytical type

Presumably I missed the bit where they proved that more black men being stopped than white proves prejudice – care to point it out to me?

given the disproportionate rate what reason would you give here?
    What exactly would constitute “proof” for you here?
    I would also like your account of why this disproportionate rate is legitimate . Like kenny it should be easy to support your view with some crime stats and the like.

aracer
    Free Member

You’ve highlighted some assertions there, TJ. I don’t see any hard data. “The evidence points to” – what evidence?

aracer
    Free Member

given the disproportionate rate what reason would you give here?

All sorts of reasons given in that doc TJ linked to – none of which I could see it adequately shooting down with any proper evidence.

I would also like your account of why this disproportionate rate is legitimate

I’m not asserting that it is – simply questioning the assertion that it proves racial discrimination.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thats the conclusions based on the evidence gathered. Have a read – there is lots of hard data in it.

aracer
    Free Member

Go on TJ, humour me, pick out some of that hard evidence which actually proves their assertions without recourse to waffle.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 195 total)

The topic ‘A warning to Red Light Jumpers’ is closed to new replies.