Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • A very dull thread about valves.
  • Harry_the_Spider

What is the advantage of a Presta over a Schrader? Is it just the smaller diameter of the hole in the rim?

My fleet are currently running a mixture of both types apart from the CX which has no front wheel in it at the moment because I snapped the little thingy out of the Presta whilst removing the pump.

A £5 lesson in cack-handedness and a trip to the LBS at lunch time.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

i dont really know, i've asked this question myself. Sometimes people come in at work (halfords!) and ask me for "high pressure valves" when they buy inner tubes. In reality they want it for a mountain bike so the pressures not going ot matter with either valve.

I have also drilled road rims and run schraeder valves at 110psi at the moment. No loss of air. Perhaps they will eventually blow out the inside of the valve or something??? 😯

miketually
    Free Member

Scraeder are for cars and motorbikes, presta for real bikes.

Them's the rules!

njee20
    Free Member

Scraeder are for cars and motorbikes, presta for real bikes.

Them's the rules!

He's right you know.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

advantages of schraeder –

[list]You can buy them for £1 in poundland
    they still have removable cores so its easier to deflate them or put slime in[/list]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Presta (bike type) have a valve built into them, so work with mini hand pumps and track pumps where the valve is designed to flow as much air as possible

Shrader 'valves' are held open by the pump and rely on the valve inside the pump to stop air going back, which is why they release air when you push the pump on but dont close the clamp.

Yes, you could put the end of a shock pump on a shrader valve pump, but this would be fiddly when a presta valve is smaller so less force pushing it off the pump so a lot of hand pumps can rely on the weight of the wheel to hold the valve onto the pump rather than needing any extra clamping mechanism.

Harry_the_Spider

Scraeder are for cars and motorbikes.

and caravans and tractors.

I think that Presta are for ladies or men with suspiciously small hands.

epicyclo

Smaller hole in the rim. Lighter. Positive seal.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Presta = broken
    Schraeder = stuck

rootes1

they still have removable cores so its easier to deflate them or put slime in

decent presta valved tubes (Schwalbe) still have removable cores as well.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

rootes – find me a presta valved inner tube for a £1 with removable cores.

rootes1

rootes – find me a presta valved inner tube for a £1 with removable cores.

i can't schwalbe are £4.99 – but i did say decent tubes not rubbish ones

didn't know there was a £1 limit… 🙄

Si

supinerider
    Free Member

Presta = broken
    Schraeder = stuck

Looks like we need a new standard!

Oversized tapered latex-coated valves are 2011's 'must have' item! 😛

molgrips
    Free Member

Shrader 'valves' are held open by the pump and rely on the valve inside the pump to stop air going back

Not with all pumps. Certainly not with mine. The valve opens due to pressure differential.

Schraeder valves can fill with mud if you haven't got the valve cap…..

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

I was once told by a man who professed to know things .. that calling presta the 'high pressure valve' is something of a misnomer – as (apparently) schrader valves are rated up to a much higher (400?) psi than presta – in other (industrial) applications

No doubt someone will soon weigh in with "Well.. I'm an engineer and.."

molgrips
    Free Member

That sounds reasonable.. after all, what valves do shocks and forks have?

schmiken

I always thought that Presta valves were used because it's rather dodgy to drill such a large hole in thin road rims.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘A very dull thread about valves.’ is closed to new replies.