Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • A Trip to the Scottish West coast…….owt to see?
  • ton

going on a bit of a tour to the lower scottish isles, in a month or so.
    staying in,
    Lochranza
    Tarbert
    Port Charlotte (2 nights)
    Colonsay
    Taynuit
    Tarbert

got a nice route planned, with some bits of offroad/forest.
    apart from all the distillaries……is there anything i should not miss?

scotroutes

Kilmartin Glen for all the history, including Dunadd.
    Crinan Canal.

rootes1

inverkip powerstation…. built and never used due to oil crisis though on the mainland,

chimney looks cool in the local landscape context though

bencooper
    Free Member

chimney looks cool in the local landscape context though

And it’ll continue looking cool until about 10am tomorrow morning, when it’s being demolished 😉

pacerc200
    Free Member

Inverkip power station will be no more as of 10pm Sunday when the chimney gets blown

hebridean
    Free Member

On Islay you already know about the distilleries If you are staying in Port Charlotte the nearest one is Bruichladdich. There’s plenty of gorgeous beaches – can recommend Kilchoman, Saligo and Sanaigmore, Ardnave and Killinallan. Good wee art gallery and coffee bar at Sanaigmore. Community garden at Bridgend, nice woods there for a gentle cycle through and with a wee bit of road work you can link up with the track through Ballygrant woods to Port Askaig. Also good coffee at Debbies shop in Bruichladdich and the Celtic Shop in Bowmore. The Museum of Islay Life in Port Charlotte is worth a mooch around. Nice off road bike ride around Laggan Point – again nothing too strenuous unless its windy (ofetn!) but great views across Loch Indaal.

On Colonsay you have an amazing choice of beaches – Kiloran, Balnahard (nice cycle to that one & back) and anywhere out past the airport. Colonsay House Gardens are lovely for a wander round. Oronsay (if the tide is right)is worth a visit. RSPB reserve if you are into wildlife, ancient abbey if you are into historical stuff. Colonsay Brewery also worth a trip (and a sample of the product).

Enjoy

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Portavadie/Polphail

Nearby Tighnabruaich is a lovely spot.

ton

hebridean…..all that sounds fantastic, cheers.

glupton1976
    Free Member

NCN 78 to Taynuilt is a hard hard road.

hebridean
    Free Member

+1 for Crinan Canal and Kilmartin Glen. There’s also the Firetower Trail at Achnabreac, near Cairnbaan (just off the canal). Not the most well maintained of trail centres but some fun sections – just watch out for logging activity.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ton can you remind me of the dates again. This has epic written all over it!

rootes1

boom!
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUOAABNOHrDrWOoqTvFE5yhQ&feature=player_detailpage&v=LjLWoBnXERQ&t=8[/video]

shame though it look good.. good to see B&M involved, done work for them – good company

scotroutes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-23506661#

Hot weather has raised the risk of people being bitten by horseflies, NHS Highland has warned.

Also known as clegs, they can inflict a painful bite that cuts skin rather than piercing it. The bites can take a long time to heal and become infected.

Mary Morton, of NHS Highland, said the flies seemed to be “particularly active” in its area which includes the Highlands and Argyll.

Make sure you have your Smidge!!!

wl
    Free Member

If it’s sunny, camp/swim at Rosaburn Pool, Glen Rosa Valley on Arran. Beautiful spot.

thejesmonddingo

Sea food cabin,next to Skipness castle,lovely seafood from a portacabin 😆

grum
    Free Member

Pop across to Jura on the ferry – lovely place. Not a lot there mind apart from a distillery and a pub with an amazing view.

haggis1978

The Kintyre way is supposed to be quite a good ride. Im from Campbeltown and the route starts in Tarbert and works its way down to C/town although there are points you can jump off and head back up the road. Never done it myself though and only found out about it a few months ago when i read a thread on here about a guy who did it. Looks really good and definitely on my list.

ton

thanks for the tips and advice, all noted. 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

shame though it look good..

It was, the view from the top was incredible.

Inverkip Chimney 21 by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

Not sure Id agree with you about Jura, Grum, theres some brilliant riding there, way better than Islay (but then maybe im just sick of islay haha). If you take the car right up to Ardlussa you can cycle the last mile or two of road, and then ride the desolate landrover track past Goerge Orwells cottage, past the next house and then up onto the moor for a mile until it gets too boggy, then its a two mile walk to the top end for a view over to Scarba and the corryvreckan. This is an absolutely brilliant day out, took me about 5 hours in total but I wasnt blasting. If you are feeling really really really adventurous and youve got a big enough, slack enough bike with you, you actually can haul your bike to the top of Beinn an Oir and ride all the way to the 3 arch bridge, i did this a few weeks ago (the videos on youtube). The climb is the most heinous ever though, i went from the Islay side up the estate road past the new dam, between the two paps on the islay side and up the fell runners path, nearly blew my lungs out. The top part of the descent was silly, but the bottom two-thirds is brilliant and ive subsequently noticed that if you ride further along the ridge to the north off the summit you can extend the brilliant bit even further. Off-piste downhilling at its very best. Off road stuff on Islay is hard to come by, not enough people go walking here. The American monument on the Oa near Port Ellen is a good view with a circular “track” at the top over some boardwalk, theres some fireroad on the way up there that loops around the new houses. Theres also a couple of secret downhill trails in the woods up there if you can find them, theyre short but really good fun, havent got a clue who built them cough cough (westcoastmassive and 13 yr old son run away to hide).

athgray
    Free Member

Hope you have the weather and few midges.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ardbeg distillery. Then go up the lane to see the cross, and McDonald graves at kildalton. The cross is stunningly beautiful; I had tears of joy when I saw it. 1200 years old and probably the finest preserved ancient monument in Europe. It’s just stood in the church yard. Go stand on the plinth, feel the carvings, touch history. The ancient clan McDonald’s cheftains are buried under carved slabs in the ruined chapel.

Jura is a truly wonderful island. If I was going into hiding, I’d pick Jura.

westcoastmassive
    Free Member

+1 on the Kildalton Cross if you like a bit of history. Its always amazing to see stuff that is 1200 years old, but theres something special about seeing it when its not surrounded by fences and a visitor centre. Maybe I was a bit harsh about Islay last night, its a great place to enjoy scenery- I quite often ride into the hills as far as i can and then walk, if you enjoy combining the two then youll love it. Ardbeg distillery for sure for lunch and the friendly staff. athgray- the midges havent been nearly as bad this year as they normally are, dont know whats happened to them but whatever it is they deserve it haha.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Quite fancy a tattoo of it….

Islay 2011 004 by jimmyg352, on Flickr

We’ll be back to Islay, no doubts about it.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘A Trip to the Scottish West coast…….owt to see?’ is closed to new replies.