Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • A tiny bit smaller than a hans dampf?
  • Superficial
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a tyre that can match a hans dampf for grip/tubeless mountability / pinch protection /weight but without being quite so fat? (They rub on my frame if my wheels are anything but perfectly true).

I’ve had pinches with Nobby Nics so not trying them again.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

minion? does it come in EXO?

chojin
    Free Member

I wish they’d make Hans Dampfs slightly smaller.

Love the tyre, I just wish they wouldn’t rub.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Nobby Nicks’s? I’ve got both and as far as I can see they are identical with the same tread pattern except the HD’s have more volume/are more bulbous.

neninja
    Free Member

How does a 2.2 Rubber Queen size up against the HD?

The Black Chili ones are excellent for grip.

chilled76
    Free Member

Maxxis High roller? Shameless plug but I’ve got two brand new LUST high rollers for sale 60a max pro 2.35.

Yours for £50 posted 😉

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

How does a 2.2 Rubber Queen size up against the HD?

A little smaller.

mattjg
    Free Member

maybe try tubeless to fix the Nic pinch issue. I have’d one on the front for a few months, I run them low and get the odd rim ding but the tyre is fine. A bit more pressure would remove all that risk.

Superficial
    Free Member

When I said I got pinches with Nics – that was running tubeless. Not going there again!

Rubber Queens vs Mountain Kings?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Schwalbe UK have hinted to me that a 2.25 Hans Dampf is likely to happen.

Did you try a Snakeskin Nic out of interest?

Otherwise a Rubber Queen might be a goer but I don’t reckon that’s any tougher than the snakeskin Nic.

Superficial
    Free Member

I want a 2.25 Hans then. If only we knew when they might become available.

I’m not sure if it was a snakeskin Nic I used. Probably not. Are they very different?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah snakeskins have proper sidewalls like other brands. Not saying you won’t pinch flat them ever but they’re noticeably thicker in the sidewalls but only around 50g a tyre heavier than the normal ones.

Regarding the 2.25 HD, I speculated in a review of the 2.35 that a 2.1 should be made and would be well received as it was too big to go in a lot of frames, but the tyre obviously has appeal. They replied saying a 2.25 is more likely, so there you go…

alfabus
    Free Member

how does the 2.4 NN size up against the 2.35 HD ??

Dave

Scapegoat

Snakeskin Nics in 2.25 would be my recommendation. 2 for £50 from ze Germans.

robbonzo
    Free Member

mountain kings with protection casing?

rondo101
    Free Member

Slightly related, but anyone know what the deal with Schwalbe’s new “supergravity” is, rather than “snakeskin”? More protection on the sidewalls or more protection all over?

Gotama
    Free Member

If you’re on 26 inch wheel then i would wholeheartedly recommend the conti baron in black chilli. Just wish thety’d hurry up and make it in 29″.

philstone

I got a Conti Baron 2.3 to match my HD on the front – in black chilli its a brilliant tyre, rolls well and grips amazingly well… I can’t get a 2.35 in the back of my Mojo SL but this is perfect.

Superficial
    Free Member

My only hesitation about the barons was that they appear to be ~200g heavier than hans dampfs. And their tread pattern isn’t exactly conducive to speed either… But yeah, maybe I’ll give them a go.

And conti tyres as much of a PITA to run tubeless as everyone says?

Gotama
    Free Member

Nope, the barons blow up tubeless easily even though they’re not sold as tubeless and roll very well despite the grip pattern, certainly a lot better than the trailstar dampf i have on the front albeit that is not really the point of the tyre. It also doesn’t feel a heavy tyre when fitted if that makes sense. It really is a cracking tyre, loads of grip and turns in very quickly. I used to run them on the front throughout the year (front and rear in winter) in surrey hills loam/mud and as soon as they bring out a 29er version i’ll be buying some more.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Schwalbe website shows an HD in 2.25 for 650b but only in trailstar.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘A tiny bit smaller than a hans dampf?’ is closed to new replies.