Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • A Tic Tac Tranny
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

Finally finished my Ibis tranny, had a temporary build on it whilst I was waiting for the 2011 stuff.

IMG_0110 by ianpindir, on Flickr

Has anyone had a problem with the xtr chain, mine snapped 4 times today

Blower
    Free Member

nice bike

psychle
    Free Member

Grrrr…. very grrrr… I want a Tranny 🙂

Liking those 2011 XTR cranks!

Tebbalot
    Free Member

very nice.
    where is that? it looks a bit like pitch hill

ianpinder
    Free Member

it is indeed pitch hill, in some nice sunshine this morning.

the 2011 xtr brakes are pretty amzing

psychle
    Free Member

where is that? it looks a bit like pitch hill

It is Pitch Hill isn’t it?

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Got your chain the right way round?

ojom
    Free Member

Was gonna say- directional chain now on this shiny XTR kit.

Pin ok too?

ianpinder
    Free Member

yeah had the chain the right way round, writing to the outside, but it snapped four times, going to go to slx chains…..

juiced
    Free Member

look real nice.

ojom
    Free Member

I would work out why you were snapping rather than change the chain to slx. They are as strong as you like so would be looking at installation prob.
    They can handle massive loads so it won’t be a power thing unless you are theHoy 😀 😀

ianpinder
    Free Member

Perhaps it doesn’t like mud, i was spinning up the road, turned of onto a bridleway, same gear same cadence (sp) snap!
    ANother time, spinning up a fire road, snap
    spinning up a road, snap………

nuke

Very nice. I would like a Tranny…keep seeing the frameset in HftH. Looks light…any idea what it weighs?

vinnyeh

that looks lovely- is that one of the build kits, or did you spec it yourself?

toys19
    Free Member

could be the weather. Some steels go through a ductile to brittle transition as temp decreases. Although it should be ironed out these days as it was mostly solved after the Liberty Ships and that was WW11.

toys19
    Free Member

from wikipedia

Constance Tipper of Cambridge University demonstrated that the fractures were not initiated by welding, but instead by the grade of steel used which suffered from embrittlement.[7] She discovered that the ships in the North Atlantic were exposed to temperatures that could fall below a critical point when the mechanism of failure changed from ductile to brittle, and thus the hull could fracture rather easily

ianpinder
    Free Member

I specked it myself,

the weight is 24.5lbs, though do note, that it has 785mm wide atlas fr bars, a heavy stem, seatpost and saddle, not to mention the wheels are am light not xc light. you could happily shave another 3 lbs of that weight.

dreednya

Looks really nice. May stretch to one sometime in the future. Really like the adaptability of the frame. It’ll also look good next to my Mojo 🙂

toons
    Free Member

Looks quality, enjoy

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

A really beautiful looking bike – and I suspect it is the one some of us were admiring when we stopped at Peaslake stores at about 1245.

Chain breaking… How can I put this without attracting a lot of wrath? If you were the bloke who seemed to own it… you looked really quite heavy ( and I speak as joint fatbloke in our group). I wonder if the combination of lightweight chain, big fit bloke, cold weather and loads going up hill did it? A chain should be able to take that – but may be this one cannot?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘A Tic Tac Tranny’ is closed to new replies.