Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • A thread to note changes in plant flowering times, animal behaviour, etc.
  • ajantom

As most of us are lovers of the great outdoors, we’re quite well placed to note changes in plants, animal behaviour, etc. that are (probably) due to climate change.

Now I don’t want this to turn into a climate change discussion thread, I don’t mind whether you think it’s caused by humans, naturally occurring, or just random seasonal shifts. However, I guess most people who go outdoors a lot would admit something is going on.

I think it’d be quite interesting for people to log changes in plants, animals, weather patterns, etc.
    Something along the lines of what’s occured/happening, place, and date.

Here’s one for a starter…

Wild garlic is growing up from the bulbs already in our garden and woods nearby. Normally this doesn’t happen until February. East Devon. November 2017.

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

There are strawberries in Sainsbury’s all year round.

ajantom

😆

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Daffs and wild garlic already coming up here too. Blackdown Hills.

Twodogs

You’re going to need to keep monitoring for years to demonstrate that its a permanent climate change not just “weather”.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I found some magic mushrooms in Sulham Woods last week.

ajantom

You’re going to need to keep monitoring for years to demonstrate that its a permanent climate change not just “weather”.

I doubt we’re aiming for a peer reviewed paper in Science here 😉
    Just thought it’d be interesting.

I found some magic mushrooms in Sulham Woods last week.

They’ll be gone now we’ve had first frost.
    I knew of a field on Dartmoor that was extremely reliable. Once picked 4 carrier bags full. 20 years ago now….i wonder if it’s still bearing fruit 😆

Twodogs

I doubt we’re aiming for a peer reviewed paper in Science here

You might as well just point out what the weather is doing then…equally interesting

breadcrumb

Looks like the snow drops are starting to shoot up here in Cumbria.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Has anyone blamed Brexit yet?

😉

Houns

Still have poppies sprouting up and flowering here. Some roses have flowered twice. Lilac trees started to flower a couple of weeks ago, didn’t get very far, then all leaves came off, just the small flowers left. Had a lupin come out towards end of last month too

What has baffled us is the appearance of a calf in the herd of Long Horn’s on Kinver Edge. Cattle have been on site for over 9 months, all the Bulls have been done. It’s an early Christmas miracle*

(It’s known for cattle to ‘hold on’ if conceive then face stress/mooved)

nedrapier

My rhododendron’s flowering. Should I blame immigrants or climate change?

TimP
    Free Member

My firesticks still have all their leaves. All the local wild ones are bald. We got them because we thought they would look good out the front of the house in the winter, but so far they just look like they did all summer

kormoran
    Free Member

Wild garlic is growing up from the bulbs already in our garden and woods nearby. Normally this doesn’t happen until February. East Devon. November 2017.

Hmm, that is worth commenting on. I have worked in the same NTS gardens in East fife for the last 5 years, for one month every march. That is the time the wild garlic has come up there each year.

An almond tree at a garden I work at on the Forth has been flowering earlier every year in the last five years also.

Rubs chin 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘A thread to note changes in plant flowering times, animal behaviour, etc.’ is closed to new replies.