Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 202 total)
  • A thread about sporting legends
  • coogan
    Free Member

Jim Clark. If only for Monza 1967.

Colin MacRae. Just loved his all or nothing attitude in a car.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ever met him, TJ? No, you haven’t. So, don’t presume to say he’s an arse! He’s not, in my personal opinion. Having met him a few times. 😉 Then again, you’d hate him on political terms regardless of the fact that you might rather like him! 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Joe Montana, let’s be honest, more people in the world follow the NFL than follow rugby.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Effinchafing, if talking out of one’s dirty hairy arse was a sport, you’d actually have a chance of becoming a legend yourself.

DearDeirdre; my arse isn’t hairy. How about that then, eh? So shut up.

No, seriously; surely a legend has to be someone whose image and name transcends just their own sport.

Yes, I am serious. You know I’m right, too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fred, with Mac, you have a very good point! He was/is a legend.

toys19
    Free Member

brakes
    Free Member

Fred, stick on topic, this thread isn’t about you.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ever met him, TJ? No, you haven’t

I have. He’s an arse-kissing self-serving tosser. And I know I’m not the only one who thinks that. I’ve spoken to people who’ve worked with him, and say the same.

Don’t pretend you know him like you often do about celebs; you once got his autograph at a Tory party conference. He quickly signed it and then turned to speak to someone else, leaving you feeling somewhat deflated and inadequate.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Pretty darn good for a spear chucker

mcmoonter
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sadly not the case, Fred. Can’t say I really “know” him, but have met him at a number of (non-political) functions. Don’t always cloud things with your pathetic militant political tripe, eh?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😆 at DearDeirdre. Loving that.

While Effin no doubt liked Mac for his brashness and gobbiness, I was always more of a fan of this ice cool character.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mcmoonter and darcy have some fine examples there!

No ladies as yet, though!

Edric64
    Free Member

The Pontpool front row are legendary though.Famed throughout rugby for being the best of their generation

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don’t always cloud things with your pathetic militant political tripe, eh?

You were the first to mention politics:

Then again, you’d hate him on political terms

Don’t try playing games with me, sonny. Know your place. Now run along and get me another beer.

Sigh. You just can’t get good help these days… 🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    Don’t pretend you know him like you often do about celebs; you once got his autograph at a Tory party conference.

LOL

locomotive

I tend to agree with Elf regarding legend status. Although in truth they are all just memorable names that will be forgotten 200 yrs from now…

However, in an effort to make a contribution in a thread such as this on a forum such as this…

cynic-al
    Free Member

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Can you tell who it is yet?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

For the youngsters.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQojh-wqL04[/video]

stuartie_c
    Free Member

“Oiu. Mais pas de femme tout de suite”

Excuse the bad French.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CFH – I know people who know him rather well. There is also his public pronouncements. Its enough to know he is an arse.

However as you rightly point out many top sports folk are

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

McMoonter; Stephen Roche?

Is that true about Robert Millar, then?

Garry_Lager

lol at those rugby union pictures – get it together lads. A stocky policeman on his day off does not equal a sporting legend.

Some (more) legends from the sweet science, starting with the greatest of them all:

(RJJ’s not in the same league as the other two, but such a gifted fighter from recent(ish) times)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

mcmoonter
    Free Member

McMoonter; Stephen Roche?

Aye

Is that true about Robert Millar, then?

This is a great book about Millar’s cycling achievements, as I remember the author struggles to find and interview him post op.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Search-Robert-Millar-Unravelling-Surrounding/dp/0007235011

jacko54321
    Free Member

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Answers on a postcard (though he appears to have a namesake who is a gay pron star, which just might give some of you a head start…)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

+1 for Stuartie-c’s climber quiz

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Coe can’t be a **** and if you think so you must be on benefits, northern and working class.

CFH – are you by any chance Anthea Turner or her husband Grant Bovine?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Maybe not a well known guy in some ways but a legend all the same

Jock Nimlin is best known as a pioneering climber of the 1920s and 30s who made many first ascents, particularly at Arrochar but also of Raven’s Gully on Buachaille Etive Mor. He was a legend amongst the working-class climbing fraternity in those years, remarkable for his climbing ability, his physical toughness and his total commitment to the outdoor life. With his encyclopaedic knowledge of the Scottish highlands and an innate talent as a communicator – both around the bothy fire and in the written word – he was a seminal figure in Scottish mountaineering.

schroedingerscat
    Free Member

To those of you claiming to know Colin Macrea? You do realise he’s been dead years? are you all mediums?

Whoops. you were talking about Coe, I’ll get me coat.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Senna??

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I find it interesting how Navratalova’s physique was quite feminine early on and then she suddenly she changed to the physique of a bloke…

As well as being a legend McEnroe’s play showed hints of him being a God – playing shots that no right-minded mortal would even consider…

surfer
    Free Member

Radcliffe +1 One of the greatest British athletes of all time. Her 2:15 marathon record is still streets ahead of the rest and while its total speculation and opinion she has done it against a backdrop of some dodgy performances by others!

Turtle soup anyone?

surfer
    Free Member

When Britain was great

Bonus points if you can name them.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Chelsea Clinton
    Not sure about the last one

surfer
    Free Member

😀

You should be ashamed!

Bonus Bonus points if you can name the guy in second place in the bottom shot (or is that just totally anal!)

closeactionchris
    Free Member

clubber
    Free Member

Only one mention of Redgrave so far! Winning five olympics and countless world champs over almost 20 years. There’s something very wrong if that doesn’t make him a legend.

(and Pinsent was pretty damn good too, just maybe not quite a legend)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 202 total)

The topic ‘A thread about sporting legends’ is closed to new replies.