Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • A tale of two trail centers (Afan and Brechfa)
  • rsoibaen
    Free Member

Over the course of my mtb weekend I visited the two above with some thoughts on each..
    Afan now feels barren and desolate, not a tree in sight, however the trails were bone dry (Saturday) and rolled really well.
    Conversly, it was awesome to be back in the trees in Brechfa sunday, but the trails were still soaking wet…
    Plus sides for both, and also negatives..
    I would when complaining about trees being cut down in future remember that the trails are much drier as a result of this.
    Bottom line – awesome weekend of mtb – best ever!!!!! (again)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Observation – people complain about the lack of view in trail centres then complain when they put the view back!

bikeneil
    Free Member

Do people really complain about the lack of views at trail centres?

large418
    Free Member

I’ve always been too terrified of crashing to look at the view

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bikeneil – Member
    Do people really complain about the lack of views at trail centres?

It’s generally a comment from the proper mountain bikers grumpy haters.

boxfish
    Free Member

Fewer trees at Afan now so that there will be more trees for future generations, and native species at that.

Paceman
    Free Member

Fewer trees also equals fewer midges when summer comes 🙂

timc
    Free Member

so id Afan worth a visit for someone from the North?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I dont ride on the trees I ride on trails. Plus one for dry trails.

timc I think Afan is still one of the best mate. Why? Lots of great long trails and they ride fast all weather. I rode Bike Park Wales today. Not a trail center but well worth a visit for a day.

toby1

Darkside – to me was named cos of how dark it was under the tree canopy, on Sunday I was blinded by the glinting sun!

With all the removal of the trees, it did feel like there were more rocks (loose rocks) on the trail, but maybe I’m just too XC-lite for my own good.

It is a working forest so we’ve got to expect some change – I like to think that it’s also good to have known it with and without trees.

Had a bloody lovely weekend doing Cwm-carn Saturday then W2 Sunday either way, I’d like to thank Summer* for her early appearance.

*Meant in the best Mint Sauce version of the word!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Next time do Cwm Rhyader as well, only a coyple of miles but a great decent and the climbs just steep enough to get you to the top again quickly in 15min without wearing your legs out.

Colin-T

In fairness Brechfa is almost always wet even when everywhere else is dry. Some All of my wettest rides have been at Brechfa*, there’s something about the place. I still love it though.

*much wetter than even Penmachno!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Much as I love the riding at Afan it’s never struck me as particularly beautiful. Sometimes no view is a benefit.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘A tale of two trail centers (Afan and Brechfa)’ is closed to new replies.