Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • A survey of sorts – what is core strength?
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

muscles in the abdomen that act as the leverage for limbs to act against. it does not mean abs.

I think it is misunderstood by a lot of people.

philconsequence
    Free Member

surely the only important muscles are your biceps and 6pack, they’re the only reason men work out aren’t they?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Don’t forget your glutes Phil.

Guns and Buns baby, guns and buns.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Its a measurement of how many crunches you can do. Everyone knows it

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

OK – take a cylinder with your pelvic floor as the base and your diaphragm as the lid and the muscles round your belly and back as the wall. It’s basically every muscle that can be used to increase the pressure within that cylinder whilst keeping it cylinder shaped.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i bet he can do 1000 sit-ups just like peter andre used to do!

*MEGA SWOOOON*

Jamie
    Free Member

surely the only important muscles are your biceps and 6pack, they’re the only reason men work out aren’t they?

I only work the glamour muscles. Why do anything else?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

for me it include glutes, hips, pelvis, lower back and the much smaller muscles i.e not six pack ones – like the ones that if you put your fingers an inch in from your hip bones and then i think an inch or so down…despite my physio telling me the names a few times, i can’t remember them. Working on strengthening that one has made a huge difference.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m training for the ‘human flag’ now.

molgrips
    Free Member

I read it was the muscles surrounding your spine both inside and out, not so much your abs.

I think it’s the muscles you use when staggering around drunkenly pretending to fall over with a 25kg toddler on your shoulders.

ourmaninthenorth

What is core strength?

The latest buzz-phrase to get the paying punters to hand over their money to the gym whilst not actually attending any classes or using the kit.

And because it’s invisible, you can’t deny it’s existence.

Genius

DezB
    Free Member

Is it like.. strength.. in your core..?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member
    OK – take a cylinder with your pelvic floor as the base and your diaphragm as the lid and the muscles round your belly and back as the wall. It’s basically every muscle that can be used to increase the pressure within that cylinder whilst keeping it cylinder shaped.

Oh, a standard textbook definition, I thought we were going to hear something interesting 🙄

iDave
    Free Member

How is that a definition of core strength? It’s just a vague location guide to numerous but not all postural muscles.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Do you have a better one?

Cougar

So, it’s what I said, then.

Rah.

molgrips
    Free Member

Welcome to Fight Afternoon! Get your tickets for the showdown of the day! iDave vs SbZ! Roll up roll up!

iDave
    Free Member

All you’ve said is where you believe core muscles to be located – that doesn’t define ‘core strength’.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Shhh Molly – it’s not often you get to see two silver backs squaring up in the wilds of the chat forum, right in the heart of fitness forest. Too much publicity and we might spook them.

Anyone want a pint of electrolyte replacement mix, protein bar or banana?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

And you’ve refused to answer my question. Do you have a constructive point or are you going to do your usual pissing in the wind?

iDave
    Free Member

You asked a question, you waited until people had answered, then you gave what you felt was the correct answer. I just pointed out that it contained nothing at all relating to the ‘strength’ of any muscles, just where they were.

So, for example had you said “Core strength is defined as the ability of the muscles and muscle groups located in XYZ, to contract with sufficient force to allow ABC…” you’d be a little closer to the truth you seek.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Off of Wikipedia…

The core is more than just your abdominals, though that is what many people associate with the word. The glutes and lower back muscles, called the erector spinae, may come to mind as well. But even these three groups are not all of the core muscles. There is also the psoas muscle of the hips and the multifidus of the spine. All of these muscles stabilize the trunk, including the spine and pelvis, and core strength training targets these muscles.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

That still appears to be a “NO”.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

You appear to have answered the question “what are core muscles? ” not “what is core strength? ”

IHN

I think iDave has a point. You’ve said what the ‘core’ is, but surely ‘core strength’ is about what it does, and why that’s important?

For extra marks you could include a method of measuring it and for a distinction, what exercises one may do to increase it.

And the Wikipedia entry reads like it was written by the gym instructor at the local leisure centre. I’m not saying it’s wrong (I wouldn’t know), but it doesn’t sound particularly authoritative.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

the Wikipedia entry

The Wiki thing was actually from Livestrong… so you’re probably right. I just thought it’d make for a better argument if it looked like Wiki was more authoritative than the right honourable Mr SBZ.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Anyway – where did I say I was answering the question of what core strength is?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Without invoking theoretically cylindrical torsos, I think Stoner had the best “everyday” definition

Stoner – Member
    Core strength = the muscles that let you swing a sledgehammer without falling over

On of my collegues reading over my shoulder has just defined core muscles as “the ones you use for farting, puking and shagging” – also gets the message across in plainspeak 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

This is going well….

iDave
    Free Member

well…..

Do you have a better one?

… suggests strongly that you offered a definition then got in a strop about it being challenged?

I assume you can fill in the XYZ and ABC in my post, then you have your definition on a plate?

IHN

Ah, that’s right, you’ve got me there.

Tool.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Does it?

IHN

Yes

iDave
    Free Member

So you didn’t mean do I have a better definition, you meant…

Do you have a better one pen/car/hat/horse/onion?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

This thread has all the core srtength of two short planks.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I know what it is, just want to know what you think it is.

Enlighten me.

What is it?

Enlighten me 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Most pointless thread ever.

iDave
    Free Member

has he gone yet?

iDave
    Free Member

🙄

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘A survey of sorts – what is core strength?’ is closed to new replies.