Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • A Stupid Idea?
  • jonny2x4
    Free Member

I’ve got a fairly standard commuter that’s currently running a Deore 27sp groupset for gears and stuff. Now, I have got it into my head that I want to replace this with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed with coaster brake on the back, whilst keeping a normal brake on the front. Might be a bit more difficult up the hills but I see people doing my Bristol commute on singlespeeds every day so it can’t be that bad.

Anyone ever fitted a new SA hub to a bike? From what I can tell they’re alot better than they used to be. I have a 50+ year old one on an old Raleigh and that’s still going strong. Or is this just a complete waste of time even thinking about it?

Thanks!

wwaswas

I have one of these;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-steamer-2011/

hub brakes, 3 speed, comfy. tbh for £285 you might as well buy one of these as source wheels/hubs etc yourself and build it up.

[edit] you need frame attachments for hub/backpedal brakes as they sue a torque arm against the nds chainstay.

jonny2x4
    Free Member

Well looking at it I think I can get a rear wheel built up for around £150, is the coaster brake any good?! I think I’ll just have to take the plunge and give it a go…

wwaswas

it’s not a coaster brake (if by that you mean ‘back pedal to brake’) on there – it’s a drum brake in the hub that uses a normal handlebar lever.

I would check that your frame will take a coaster brake before spending any money.

tbh, the drums are ‘ok’ as far as braking goes – probably not up to v-brake standard in the dry but less afected by moisture. I can’t lock either wheel up by braking hard on a dry road.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘A Stupid Idea?’ is closed to new replies.