Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • A stag-do in the Alps?
  • theroadwarrior
    Free Member

So I got engaged!

I’ve been wanting to get to the Alps for a year or so now and I’m wondering if I can combine a stag do with some proper all mountain riding.
    The main thing that makes me think it wouldn’t work is my non-riding friends.. There are probably 4 or 5 of us that would be riding, and then several other non riders.
    Has anyone done anything similar with a mixed group like this?

In terms of where to go I’d love to visit Bike Verbier- but probably it would work out too expensive for the non-cyclists. It would need to be somewhere that had other activities during the day to keep the rest of the group entertained.

The other option is to ditch the non riders- but that might not go down too well!! Any ideas or is this a receipy for disaster?!

Oh- and the wedding is this June so wherever we went it would have to be open in may!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

what would she say if you get married in a plaster cast?

yep thats right she’d break the other one…

dantsw13

I’d do a mixed weekend – one day on bikes, get some guides, and do a hardcore/easy riders split. Make it a non-DH venue, or someone WILL hurt themselves.

nickjb
    Free Member

I think it could be fun. If you go to morzine then there is plenty for non riders: go ape, via ferata, white water rafting. All good group stag activities. There is also some easy riding for beginners and reasonable night life. You can also have a proper riding day and the non riders can walk/swim/ice skate/go to the cheese museum 🙂

Edit: just saw the may bit. That’ll be an issue

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Depends when you are thinking of going.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d save the Alps trip for when the lifts are open, and when you can go for at least a week with just bikey mates (or your wife on your honeymoon).

If you want some stag biking action, maybe go somewhere like Glentress – get hire bikes for the non-bikers and ride together, then have a night out in Edinburgh.

Did that for a friend’s stag and it went great.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Hurmmm- I see the Morzine lifts don’t open until mid June. That could be difficult then.

I’ve thought about doing something in the UK- but we (me and riding buddies) ride here all the time, it’d be nice to do something really special for this.

It might be that it’s just too early in the season but I’m hoping there might be a good solution!

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Oops just saw the May bit as well forget the Alps for biking still to much snow in most resorts, lifts will be closing or closed.

chakaping
    Free Member

How long are you thinking of going away for?

Spain or Italy could be good options, and might be more attractive to the non-bikers anyway.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Spain probably offers your next best choice, complete with cheap beer and dodgy night clubs….

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I spent some time in the Sierra Nevada outside Granada and have always wanted to go back with my bike!

Only thing is while not riding I’m not sure how easy it would be to find other stuff- Granada is great but you couldn’t exactly get a taxi in there for the evening. Maybe have a couple of days riding and then a night or 2 in town…?

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Just had a look and flights to Malaga are available for under £100 which isn’t too bad.

A possible plan is forming….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

theroadwarrior – Member
    Just had a look and flights to Malaga are available for under £100 which isn’t too bad.

A possible plan is forming….

Just as a point to consider, your asking people to come to your wedding and a stag do/hen party. It seems all the rage to go big. week here do this do that but it all adds up. Check with your mates for an honest answer about cost/holidays before suggesting it.

Every one has that 1 year with 5 weddings in, it’s crippling!!!
    I ended up missing my brothers stag do as it would have cost a huge amount and was unreachable without a 14hr round trip.

But also have fun 😉

cazum
    Free Member

bah one year 5 weddings….. i have 3 weddings in 2 weekends 🙁 next month…… and 2 stag do’s this month….. bloody sore like!

anyway a riding stag weekend would be fun and am sure even the non-riders may enjoy it if there is lifts to the top lol, but defo just do say friday/sat morning lunch riding then epic night out…. as riding on the alps with a hangover may not be the safest or best idea!!!

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

We´ve had several successful visits from stag parties.
    Stunning singletrack rides with plenty of bus uplift during the day & fun après-bike on the coast at night.

http://www.sierracycling.com fantastic biking since 1992.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

WTF

superfli
    Free Member

Could try Alpenrider I’m using them for my 40th Oktoberfest do later in the year.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips everyone- good point about the cost, it’s definitely a factor- I think I have 4 other weddings this year too. I just know my riding friends are as keen to get abroad with their bikes so this might be the effect opportunity.
    Think ill look into Spain options first, if not Spain then perhaps Scotland as ive heard the riding is pretty different from what we’re used to

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘A stag-do in the Alps?’ is closed to new replies.