• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by bails.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • A 'Sportive' Bike For My Dad?
  • walleater

My Dad has been going on some CTC rides lately and been enjoying it, and is now considering buying a normal road bike rather than the hybrid that he is currently riding. He’s bought plenty of stuff from the LBSs over the years so is thinking of saving some cash and buying on-line.

The slight issue is that he doesn’t know too much about road bikes and I’m in Canada so don’t really know what’s about in the UK any more.

He likes this Ribble though:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-sportive-365/

He’s liking the carbon frame and the fact that the bike comes with fenders….oops mudguards….I’m slipping…. He’d be changing to a triple up front and a bigger cassette though to help on the climbs.

I can’t help but wonder if he’d be better off with a nice steel frame and have some nicer wheels and maybe some other components rather than the mystery wheels on the Ribble. Revolving weight is more important than static weight. But from now on I’ve not got a clue what is out there! Or is there anything similar to the Sportive 365 around that he should be looking at too? His brief is something light and good (or well geared….) on the climbs and comfortable to ride.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For road bikes I’d say fit is king… How much is the savings over a bike shop? Is it like for like? Plenty will be along shortly but the spec/giant offerings are normally very good value.

tmb467
    Free Member

Giant Defy is the stock answer for an intro to road bikes I believe

Just pick your budget

anagallis_arvensis

Wont go wrong with a Defy especially if he goes to a good shop and gets one the right size. He would get a better spec bike from Ribble but will it fit?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Giant Defy in the sales, using Giant size charts

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Check if the shifters will do triple.
    Almost none have the facility.

Edit have sora and tiagra build options, will be fine.

mooman
    Free Member

For your dad?

Nothing less than a Specialized S-Works Venge ViAs … with a set of 48mm Carbon Lightweight Meilenstein’s.

It’s what I’d want off my son anyways …

Sandwich

Go with the 105 11speed build, compact on the front and 11-32 on the back should be enough gears for any hill. But fit is more important and there are only 3 sizes available for that frame.

MoreCashThanDash

Another Defy fan here. The sizing charts are ace. Pick a budget, then buy the next model up.

Actually, ignore that. For a one road bike kind if guy, something that takes proper mudguards. Pinnacle do some decent affordable ones that get good reviews, think it’s the Dolomite.

freeagent
    Free Member

Another Happy Giant Defy riding Dad here.
    When I replace it – it will be with another Defy.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got one of them. It’s a good bike, quite traditional with sharp handling.

My defy advanced is much nicer, but it cost more obvs.

I did a review of the Ribble and I can dig it out later if you wish.

avdave2

Another very happy 50 year old dad Defy Advanced owner here

walleater

Thanks peeps. I’ve just looked at the Defy range, and if I was him, I’d probably get one of those. The Defy 1 is pretty well the same price as the Ribble and has better components. No plastic frame but it at least has a carbon fork and post.

I just wonder if the gears will be low enough as he’s no spring chicken. We were saying at work literally yesterday that Shimano should make MTB drop bar levers to cater for the older generations desire to ride road bikes these days. At least with 10sp road, you could cheat the system and run a 9sp MTB rear derailleur and 10sp MTB cassette and get lower gears without resorting to a triple up front. I’m not aware of such a cheat for 11sp road. The new 10sp Tiagra is even worse in this regard as it’s all propriety stuff. Grrr…

TiRed

The alloy Defy is an excellent bike that you can (just) fit mudguards to with 25c Schwalbe tyres (nearer a 28c in some brands). Compact gearing and a 28 or 30T is a low gear for a Sportive, and a nice riding light bike will feel easier than his hybrid.

If he must have carbon AND mudguards, then a Defy is not really the best choice. I have alloy and carbon Defys, they are both excellent riding bikes. The Ribble you linked to has more traditional parallel geometry compared with slacker front end and longer head tube. But the Defy IS a race bike. A Specialized Roubaix might be a better choice if he wants a taller front end as the headtubes are much longer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Giant Defy in the sales, using Giant size charts

And a good shop who’ll give him a proper bike fit with it.

Defy is the stock answer for a good reason. They’re ace!

Roubaix doesn’t take proper guards IIRC. Diverge does, though! 🙂

bails

In support of the Ribble…
    I had a Ribble Sportive Racing (an oxymoron?) Carbon a few years ago through C2W as my first road bike. It was a bit flexy but it was a smooth ride as a result. I really liked it and would happily buy another. It was only lack of space that meant that I kept the more versatile CX bike, which I’ve still got, it’s not as nice to ride though.

I haven’t ridden a Giant alu road bike to compare, but I’ve only heard good things about them.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ribble 365 review…
    http://unduro.co.uk/road/review-ribble-sportive-365/

I can understand you leaning toward the Defy 1 though, I’d probably do the same myself.

nedrapier

a Ribble Sportive Racing

😀 I hope someone at Ribble was having a good chuckle when they thought that one up!

freeagent
    Free Member

I personally think a £1k aluminium framed bike from someone like Giant is going to be a better bike that a £1k plastic Ribble.

I think you need to spend nearer £2k on a whole bike before carbon becomes a better bet.

The Giant Defy Disc for £1k looks like a good buy – I think they’ve sorted the mudguard mounts a bit more as well.

The Giant will probably be worth more second hand if for any reason your Dad wants to shift it on.

bails

The Giant will probably be worth more second hand if for any reason your Dad wants to shift it on.

I sold my 18 month old Ribble for over £800. It had been looked after but I still didn’t expect it to go for that much!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘A 'Sportive' Bike For My Dad?’ is closed to new replies.