Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • A specific CX or road bike question…
  • lister

I know there are countless threads on this subject but I could do with a bit of specific advice please.
    I was planning to get a CX/gravel bike for this winter, probably something in the £750-£850 range. For commuting, silly offroad fun and titting about in the woods.
    However Mrs Lister has just entered the 2015 Ironman Wales and I’d like to go on some training rides with her.
    Some background; I’ve never owned a drop bar bike and have ridden them only a handful of times.
    Will a CXish bike do 50-70 miles on road without too many problems so I can also use the bike for my own reasons, or do I bite the bullet and go road for the time being?

I’m looking at something with 2 chainrings and 10 speed on the back. I’d also like discs if possible. Carbon fork.
    I like those Pinnacles but have some qualms over the bar end shifter, is it not a knee hazard?

What are Focus road and CX bikes like? My lbs is pushing them at the mo and I might get a bit of a discount there…

Cheers for any help.

Gary_M
    Free Member

A cx bike will be fine on the road, better with road tyres but fine with minimal tread off road tyres.

I have a focus road bike as my ‘Sunday best’ bike, absolutely love it

nemesis
    Free Member

Unless you’re really into serious road racing then a cx bike is absolutely fine for what you want. Just stick on some decent road tyres and lower the front (flip the stem usually) and it’ll be as fast as road bike.

I use a cx bike for winter road riding and it’s my legs that make the difference to my speed, not the bike.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have ridden Croix De Fers, Giant TCX SLR 2, & Boardman’s CX bikes on the road, and they have all been just dandy.

Just put something like CX Comps on, and you’ll be reet.

lister

That’s tidy. Cheers. Not often me buying a new bike is a win win situation for me and Mrs Lister.
    Just seen Wheelbase do 36 months 0%…maybe a Kona Jake is doable! 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Jakes are nice. Usually low-ish spec compared to the competition, tho.

lister

As are most Konas, but to me they are a bit like Kylie…flawed but always at the top of the list if I’m being honest…

hardupdad
    Free Member

The only choice this year is the GT Grade, it’s not a cyclocross bike, but could do one

lister

GT, now there’s a thought. the Grade does look good…

Jamie
    Free Member

What about the Saracen Avro?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘A specific CX or road bike question…’ is closed to new replies.