Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • A sorry saga of a stolen then recovered bike!
  • tommo
    Free Member

I had my garage burgled and my prophet 2 stolen out from it 3 weeks ago. I duly claimed insurance and received a cheque on Saturday. However, the police recovered the bike on Friday.
    The bike isn't in the condition I left it. The front suspension has had all the decals rubbed off and makes a funny sound when I push it down. The back suspension feels dead. They've swapped out avid juicy 3 rotors for hope rotors and generally put a whole load of stolen parts on it.

I heard from them today and first they offered to sell it me for salvage. I told them I wasn't sure about this because I didn't want to sell stolen property.

They then said they were going to stop the cheque and have asked me to get a quote to replace the stolen parts.

Should they be paying for the damage too? As well as the damage to the suspension, I'm concerned that it's been used for purposes that it's not fit for and perhaps the frame has been weakened.
    Does anyone know if I can claim for this too?

trail_rat
    Free Member

if you have a friendly local bike shop share your concerns and as long as its not unreasonable (ie the bike looks mint) then they will write a letter sharing your concerns…..

Of course if the bike shop doesnt know you from adam dont expect owt special !

tommo
    Free Member

Cheers, I've got tomorrow morning off work to get it into the shop.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    skidartist
    Free Member

Also, get the shop to quote to renew all those parts that are either damaged or replaced by the culprits, it'll quickly be apparent just what a financially dumb hobby we all have and that replacing the bike rather than the parts is by far the most economic option.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘A sorry saga of a stolen then recovered bike!’ is closed to new replies.