Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • A simple airbed/camping question
  • monksie
    Free Member

Should an airbed be insulated between it and the floor to prevent it (the air inside and ergo the actual air bed) becoming progessively colder during the night and if so, what would you recommend? It was freezing last night!

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

cheap fleece blanket between the airbed and groundsheet should help.

alfabus
    Free Member

the airbed is the insulation between you and the floor, you don't need a bed for your bed to sleep on.

If you were cold, you need a better (thicker) airbed.

Oh, or MTFU

Dave

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

the airbed will take on the temperature of the ground it is on so yes. You can insulate between you and the airbed as well but this will cause the airbed to get damp and go mouldy. We put a cheap fleece blanket under the airbed and one on top too, then a sheet, then sleeping bags

Junkyard
    Free Member

What is mr wright doing that seems excessive. Get a bigger sleeping bag or wear PJs and deffo MTFU

Bimbler
    Free Member

Yep. We use some old school camping roll mats and fleece blankets. Makes a huge difference.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

because cold plastic collects condensation when you sleep on it, you end up with a cold, damp, miserable place to sleep and if you don't dry it out it goes mouldy.

like i said

and even decent sleeping bags are crap when they are damp.

I also like to undertake super lightweight camping whilst cycle touring so appreciate the comfort when i've got a big fat estate car and an 8 person tent to fill 🙂

monksie
    Free Member

It's in a house, not a field.
    MTFU, wee in his shoes, own him with bombers…don't you lot ever get bored of the same old tripe? :-}
    It was cold, I was cold. I like to be warm, especially when I'm trying to sleep. I'm grateful for the floor space. I suspect putting the heating on during the night my expediate me outstaying my welcome.
    So, a small differing of opinions but a fleece blanket would help? I'll cycle down to Tesco and see what they have.
    Thanks

Junkyard
    Free Member

perhaps my £10 flock lined aldi air bed reduces damp but never noticed any myself.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

An airbed is just an empty space and provides no insulation whatever.
    If you want the comfort of a deep airbed, but with insulation try what I use when car camping – here
    A tad on the pricey side, but amazing comfort and warmth.

tron
    Free Member

Self inflating mats are WAY better than air-beds. I got a cheap 50mm Vango double one off ebay, and even my camping-phobic girlfriend was happy sleeping on it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘A simple airbed/camping question’ is closed to new replies.